Why become a member? ×

tubular bells

stef030

now that I am a old giffer,I have been listening to old albums that were big in my youth,
yesterday I was listening to tubular bells,
the remastered edition.in the second partits music as normal and then he starts a vocal line,
what the bloody hell is he saying I have not got a clue,I am usually quite good at that sort of thing
but can not make head nor tail of it
noticed it before when I was young,but must have smoked too much to care lol
so anyone got any ideas

cheers
stef :) :)

[quote name='stef030' post='1107873' date='Jan 30 2011, 09:28 AM']now that I am a old giffer,I have been listening to old albums that were big in my youth,
yesterday I was listening to tubular bells,
the remastered edition.in the second partits music as normal and then he starts a vocal line,
what the bloody hell is he saying I have not got a clue,I am usually quite good at that sort of thing
but can not make head nor tail of it
noticed it before when I was young,but must have smoked too much to care lol
so anyone got any ideas[/quote]

The "Piltdown Man" bit?

From memory it's

"Slogadoch doch wonowoch
Slogadoch doch wonow
Slogadoch doch wonowoch
Sleeogadoch doch wonaow"

Does that help? :)

Wikipedia is your friend:

[quote]Branson wanted vocals on one of the albums, whereas Oldfield had no intentions of doing so. Oldfield said himself in an interview that he angrily stormed out of Branson's office yelling "You want lyrics!? I'll give you lyrics!". He then drank half a bottle of Jameson's whiskey and demanded the engineer to take him to the studio where, intoxicated, he "screamed his brains out for 10 minutes".[/quote]

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='1107977' date='Jan 30 2011, 11:51 AM']I wonder what Mozart would have said if someone had said the same thing to him ? :)[/quote]
As the curtain rises, we see a bewigged man in knee britches. He is sat at a piano, a pile of manuscript towering over his head. (FX: A phone rings)

Mozart: Hello, Mozart Music. How can I help you?

Bishop of Salzburg: Mozart?

Mozart: Yes, Mozart here.

Bishop of Salzburg: It is I, your patron, the Bishop of Salzburg.

Mozart: Hello, Derek, how can I help?

Bishop of Salzburg: Herr Mozart, I vant zum lyrics in zis symphony you are writing for me.

Mozart: You asked for a symphony, not an opera.

Bishop: Can't I have lyrics in mein symphony vot I am paying you for?

Mozart: No. Then it would be an opera and that costs double.

Bishop: Vy?

Mozart: To pay for a librettist.

Bishop: Can't you do it yourself?

Mozart: I'm a composer, not a librettist. Look, I'm busy here mein old mate. Do you want this symphony or not? It's a good one.

Bishop: Vell .... Are you sure you can't put some words in?

Mozart: Not for the same money.

Bishop: Vot vould I get for the same money? With words.

Mozart: Couple of songs. Maybe three.

Bishop: That's not much.

Mozart: Well, how about three songs and a clarinet divertimento?

Bishop: Mmmmm. No. I'll stick with the symphony. OK - aufwiederhoren.

Mozart (to himself): F***ing numpty punters

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1108014' date='Jan 30 2011, 12:11 PM']As the curtain rises, we see a bewigged man in knee britches. He is sat at a piano, a pile of manuscript towering over his head. (FX: A phone rings)

Mozart: Hello, Mozart Music. How can I help you?

Bishop of Salzburg: Mozart?

Mozart: Yes, Mozart here.

Bishop of Salzburg: It is I, your patron, the Bishop of Salzburg.

Mozart: Hello, Derek, how can I help?

Bishop of Salzburg: Herr Mozart, I vant zum lyrics in zis symphony you are writing for me.

Mozart: You asked for a symphony, not an opera.

Bishop: Can't I have lyrics in mein symphony vot I am paying you for?

Mozart: No. Then it would be an opera and that costs double.

Bishop: Vy?

Mozart: To pay for a librettist.

Bishop: Can't you do it yourself?

Mozart: I'm a composer, not a librettist. Look, I'm busy here mein old mate. Do you want this symphony or not? It's a good one.

Bishop: Vell .... Are you sure you can't put some words in?

Mozart: Not for the same money.

Bishop: Vot vould I get for the same money? With words.

Mozart: Couple of songs. Maybe three.

Bishop: That's not much.

Mozart: Well, how about three songs and a clarinet divertimento?

Bishop: Mmmmm. No. I'll stick with the symphony. OK - aufwiederhoren.

Mozart (to himself): F***ing numpty punters[/quote]

:) :) :lol:

Try it with a Russian accent, best laugh I've had today ! (better stop, they'll think my hinges have come off again)

Edited by essexbasscat

[quote name='dlloyd' post='1107970' date='Jan 30 2011, 11:44 AM']"Slogadoch doch wonowoch
Slogadoch doch wonow
Slogadoch doch wonowoch
Sleeogadoch doch wonaow"[/quote]
Ah happy days, I remember 'singing' this with my 2 best friends.

There are plenty of other 'lyrics' too delivered by the great Viv Stanshall, for instance, "Spanish guitar and introducing acoustic guitar" and of course, "Plus tubular bells!".

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='dlloyd' post='1107970' date='Jan 30 2011, 11:44 AM']The "Piltdown Man" bit?

From memory it's

"Slogadoch doch wonowoch
Slogadoch doch wonow
Slogadoch doch wonowoch
Sleeogadoch doch wonaow"

Does that help? :)[/quote]
aaahhhhhhaaaaaa thats the very fellow :P :lol: :lol:
which is all very good,and I know I used to smoke a thing or too
in my youth,what the bloody hell does it mean :) :lol: :D

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1109504' date='Jan 31 2011, 02:39 PM']I thought that was 'Good Times' by Chic :)[/quote]

Not in my headphones! :)

As big a Bernard Edwards fan as I am, I find most of the stuff he played on too much like hard work to sit through (and only manage to do so 'cos he's on it) whereas every time Oldfield picks up a bass I'm afraid to admit I just get all melty, and I don't think he gets anywhere near the credit he deserves (purely as a bass player I mean, not for being a tremendous all-round musician and composer which he does.)

And, yes, I am aware that we all deal with a purely subjective medium in this game!

Did I mention I'm a bit of an Oldfield fan? I'm not sure that came across very well!!

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1109609' date='Jan 31 2011, 03:52 PM']He also slowed the tapes down and recorded things at half speed so you can't trust his chops!![/quote]

Yes, I know he does it with keyboards as he keeps his nails long for the spanish guitar stuff. I actually thought the finale riff on TB was trickery until I saw him play it on the telly, which was my excuse for not being able to play it for ages!! I can just about keep it going for the whole piece after 5 years of trying (which works out at about a minute per year!) Once I crack that bit I might try and learn the whole of side 1. Hopefully a bit quicker than a minute a year, though!

Lord - in college when I was pledging a fraternity - part of the hazing was sitting motionless in a chair blindfolded, with strobe lights going off, listening to side one of this album for about 4 hours nonstop. Just the mention of it gives me flashbacks :) This was just one of the "minor" things we had to endure over a week....

I think TB is one of those albums that's impact act the time is greater than it's actual musical worth. Part of it was the myth that Oldfield recorded the whole album solo and unaided. Somehow tied in with solo saling the world and a whole slew of artists recorded 'I play all the instruments' albums in the wake of TB. Now I find Oldfield had plenty of musical collaborators on the project.

Musically I don't find the album as flowing and unified as I once thought but it was a breath of fresh air at the time.