Why become a member? ×

Can you use a Sansamp to make a J sound like a P?

Clarky

I like the sound of Js and Ps but have found Js lacking when in noisy, rock situations (eg my punk band). I would like to use my Bacchus Jazz in this situation however, rather than it sit at home as a lovely practice toy. So I googled the title of this thread and found some people suggesting that you can indeed use a Sansamp to beef up and fill out the sound of a J. Has anyone on BC done this and - most importantly - do you have any combination of pickup/control and Sansamp settings you would recommend?

Thanks chaps. My Bacchus is a traditional Jazz set-up, V/V/T with no S1. I assumed I would be using the neck pickup 100% but I but don't want to mod the Jazz in any way - I like the stock J sound but was hoping that I could use the Sansamp to augment it to get a P-esque sound.

[quote name='Wil' post='1107584' date='Jan 29 2011, 08:19 PM']If it's the RBI with mid control, I'd say boosting your bass and mids, rolling back the treble a touch, and maybe setting the presence around 2/3 o'clock would be a good start settings wise.[/quote]
Thanks but I have the bog standard Sansamp DDDI without the mid - will have a try of those settings minus the mid

Hi Clarky, many moons ago I had a Squier Jazz, and using the BDDI was able to get a nice warm valvey Precision type sound. I think, if memory is correct, I just kept all the settings in the middle, apart from the blend which was on full.

And it was through a Trace Elliot amp, so two very clear sounding pieces of musical equipment nicely "Precisioned" by Sansamp.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1107645' date='Jan 29 2011, 09:31 PM']Hi Clarky, many moons ago I had a Squier Jazz, and using the BDDI was able to get a nice warm valvey Precision type sound. I think, if memory is correct, I just kept all the settings in the middle, apart from the blend which was on full.

And it was through a Trace Elliot amp, so two very clear sounding pieces of musical equipment nicely "Precisioned" by Sansamp.[/quote]
Thanks Lozz, will give it a try!

[quote name='Clarky' post='1107413' date='Jan 29 2011, 05:44 PM']I like the sound of Js and Ps but have found Js lacking when in noisy, rock situations (eg my punk band). I would like to use my Bacchus Jazz in this situation however, rather than it sit at home as a lovely practice toy. So I googled the title of this thread and found some people suggesting that you can indeed use a Sansamp to beef up and fill out the sound of a J. Has anyone on BC done this and - most importantly - do you have any combination of pickup/control and Sansamp settings you would recommend?[/quote]

Naughty boy! You should have kept that 51 Reissue CIJ I sold ya! If I knew you were going to pass it on to "unknown" I wouldn't have gone through all that trouble to set it up to the nines for you! :) After I had re-fitted the original bridge, I reset the intonation, adjusted the neck relief better than a plek machine, and even serviced the stiff machine heads with sewing machine oil... Lucky mr. unknown got a pukka bass! haha...

Hey Clarky, glad you're liking the bass and I know what you mean about the sound not sitting so well. The one thing I was going to change on that bass before I sold it was the pickups. I really had my eyes on a set of Dimarzio model J's for it. They're meant to get quite close to the P sound from the neck pickup. Don't get me wrong, the original single coils are amazing but they just didn't sound thick enough for me in the mix.