Why become a member? ×

Classic Vibe Frets

spongebob

I read somewhere online about the frets on the Classic Vibe Squires.

Don't know if this is true, but being the lower vintage style, stainless steel strings will just eat them up, and it'll need a re-fret within 12 months.

This can't be right, surely (don't call me Shirley, etc....!) I know SS aren't great for Rics (always used Flats or Nickels on my 4003), but I'd have thought they be fine on the CV's, as I think my CV-P has come fitted with them!

Any experiences?

sounds to me like.....

I have a spare Squier Classic Vibe neck and I 've played that neck from March until I replaced it last week with the Mighty Mite and there isn't one bit of wear on those frets. I could take pics to show you that neck is a minter.

By the way that neck is for sale £50 delivered, anyone who needs it for a project that would be pukka, comes fitted with the original tuners and evvythang. :)

I won't comment on CV necks per se because I've never owned one but reading the depositions from past and present owners in this thread you would believe that CV fret wear doesn't exist. Which is an affront to logic.

[b]For the sake of balance,[/b] I would like to ask those who in their own personal experience have not seen any wear on a CV neck, have you worn out the frets on any other make of bass in the same time scale? Couldn't it just be that you are gentle/careful players?

I have a very percussive fingering style and have subsequently done in a fret or two on differing makes of neck in my time and because of that I stay clear of SS strings because they are undoubtedly the worst culprit (lucky for me I don't even like the sound of them anymore :) ).

I wouldn't want to make distinctions between makes of neck but to me it makes perfect sense that someone who is prone to wear out frets faster would undoubtedly blow holes in vintage style frets faster than they would their jumbo counterparts.

I think it only becomes an issue if the alloy used in the frets is of an inferior quality and wear out quickly through normal usage, then we'd really have something to complain about.