Why become a member? ×

Any Ideas For My Pedalboard?

0175westwood29

looking into getting a few more pedal to add a bit of depth and also to mix up my sound a bit as my bands set is a bit varied at the minute.

at the minute i have my modulus going into this,

tuner(tu-3)--boss auto wah--boss ls-2(this has a boss blues driver mixed with clean)--ehx metal muff

i also have a harmonizer pedal which i sometimes play with, but thats out at the minute as it was a bit of a pain but im sure it will come back!

now here comes the fun part ive got a delay pedal on its way to me which im gonna stick in after the tuner, but what else do you guys think might be cool to stick in? im looking at the boss rv-5(i know another boss pedal!) which im thinking will kinda fill out the sound in our breakdowns and slower numbers but have also been thinking of maybe an octave pedal and then even a pitch shifter?
although i have rediscovered my love for muse recently and i know he uses a digitech bsw and a russian muff so there tempting me two!

thing is the ehx is a right signal destroyer the signal coming out is way less i think even with it of! i used to have two in a row and the second used to have to be twice as high on the volume to be the same? so im looking at if there is anyway to route these pedals so i dnt loose to much, the boss pedals are fine so im thinking of grabbing another ls-2 and putting the distortions in that at the end of the chain. but im guessing the russian muff would need mixing with clean and i can't have three ls-2's on my board!

any ideas?

andy

Edited by 0175westwood29

[quote name='sk8' post='1095062' date='Jan 19 2011, 12:54 PM']I'd put the delay at the end but try it and put it where you like the sound.

Falnger/phaser/chorus could be good and as has been suggested an Octave pedal is always useful[/quote]

thinking about it that does make sense!

ok so ill def get a big muff unsure what octave, im thinking of going with boss and an oc3 or should i try the mxr?

andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' post='1095602' date='Jan 19 2011, 08:22 PM']thinking about it that does make sense!

ok so ill def get a big muff unsure what octave, im thinking of going with boss and an oc3 or should i try the mxr?

andy[/quote]
I've got the MXR and love its organic sound and tracking. Others will disagree!

OC2 gets a lot of love

[quote name='Master blaster' post='1095772' date='Jan 19 2011, 10:45 PM']+1 for the OC2. i love the ehx stuff. i dont find it kills my signal to bad. Good luck tracking down a russian big muff. they're quite hard to get hold of in this country due to the box being made out of lead. Theres a guy i know that has one in bideford that has one on display. But he refuses to sell it.[/quote]

no it doesnt really effect it in a bad way it just obvious that alot of the strength is gone due to the second on having to be twice as high on the volume control to be the same as first.

ok so ive had a few ideas and i have filled a few more holes!

tuner--octave(either 0c-3 or mxr)--boss flanger (bf-3)--boss auto wah(will eventually get the expression pedal for this!)--ls-2(with blues driver mixed with clean)--ehx bass big muff--ehx metal muff--carl martin red repeat--boss rv-5

im thinking i can get some scary and cool sounds out of that? and would anyone change the order of anything?

andy

best flanger i've had is the Danelectro FAB Flanger. £20 and great sounding.

Not a fan of the BBM but a lot are.

If you are on a budget then what you've spec'd is all respectable if you have more to spend then it opens up alot of options.

[quote name='sk8' post='1097542' date='Jan 21 2011, 02:08 PM']best flanger i've had is the Danelectro FAB Flanger. £20 and great sounding.

Not a fan of the BBM but a lot are.

If you are on a budget then what you've spec'd is all respectable if you have more to spend then it opens up alot of options.[/quote]

like what?

ive listened to sound clips of all the pedals love the rv-5 probs have a limited use but its still gonna be got!

andy

ok so this is what the board is starting to look like

tuner--boss oc-3--boss ps-3--boss ph-3-boss aw-3(with exp pedal)--boss ls-2(with blues driver mixed with dry signal)--ehx big muff-ehx metal muff--boss rv-5--carl martin delay

got about half of it just need to save up for a bit for the rv-5 but it k, what you guys think on order?

and next question is power supply? at the minute i use a boss one that came with my pedal board but i can't use that as there are to many pedals? what do you guys use?

andy

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1104767' date='Jan 27 2011, 09:16 AM']I often wonder why people bother with reverb pedals. Are you playing in a really dry room? Or is it for some sort of "special effect"?

A really cheap and very fun addition to any board is a feedback loop.[/quote]

my idea for it is to change my sound in the slower numbers we have, i suppose you could say a special sound? you know fill the sound a bit.

ive heard of feedback loopers but what are they?

andy

You can stick all your pedals in the loop. When you want mental noise, turn it on! It takes a bit of the output and feeds it into the input. If you put analogue dirt pedals in there they should oscillate, but you can get all sorts of weird effects. I have my whammy and digital delay in one set to octave up, so it keeps pitch shifting the pitch shifted notes.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1110626' date='Feb 1 2011, 08:40 AM']You can stick all your pedals in the loop. When you want mental noise, turn it on! It takes a bit of the output and feeds it into the input. If you put analogue dirt pedals in there they should oscillate, but you can get all sorts of weird effects. I have my whammy and digital delay in one set to octave up, so it keeps pitch shifting the pitch shifted notes.[/quote]

now that does sound like fun!

where can you get them? or do you have to build your own?

andy

this is the way im looking at wiring it all up, any suggestions?

ive put the bf-2 in the loop with the muff so i can choose to go a bit crazy and to be honest i did this with my old boss flanger and its sounds cool at least to me when it was between my distortions.

i know theres a lot of boss but they have never let me down and they always sound good plus they are like mini tanks!

not sure what id put on a feedback loop tho? im thinking for weird noises the ph-3 and wah?

andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' date='Feb 1 2011, 09:31 PM' post='1111657']

this is the way im looking at wiring it all up, any suggestions?

ive put the bf-2 in the loop with the muff so i can choose to go a bit crazy and to be honest i did this with my old boss flanger and its sounds cool at least to me when it was between my distortions.

i know theres a lot of boss but they have never let me down and they always sound good plus they are like mini tanks!

not sure what id put on a feedback loop tho? im thinking for weird noises the ph-3 and wah?

andy
[/quote

I route my Bass Big Muff straight to the amp input & the rest of my pedals go through the effects loop of my amp. The BBM works sooo much better that way - I don't know but could be the best routing option for any distortion pedal.

+1 for the Diago Powerstation - small, cheap, powers loads of pedals & completely noise free

- 1000 for any Boss pedal but perhaps that's just me!

What about an EHX bass balls for some funky fun!!