Why become a member? ×

Any Ideas For My Pedalboard?

0175westwood29

[quote name='Wilco' post='1112720' date='Feb 2 2011, 05:54 PM']I route my Bass Big Muff straight to the amp input & the rest of my pedals go through the effects loop of my amp. The BBM works sooo much better that way - I don't know but could be the best routing option for any distortion pedal.[/quote]

i thought stomp boxes and gain effects can be bad through an effects loop?

does the big muff cut the output down like my my muff not used on in anger? not noticeable but it was really bad when i ran two of them the second had to have twice the volume of the first to sound the same!

andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' post='1112915' date='Feb 2 2011, 07:53 PM']i thought stomp boxes and gain effects can be bad through an effects loop?

does the big muff cut the output down like my my muff not used on in anger? not noticeable but it was really bad when i ran two of them the second had to have twice the volume of the first to sound the same!

andy[/quote]

I think you mis-read my post. From what I can gather:-

Compressor first in chain as then that will work on just the basic signal of your instrument which is what you want it to do

Distortion & gain pedals straight into front amp input

Modulation & ambient effects & the like through an effects loop if you've got one.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1114937' date='Feb 4 2011, 09:08 AM']I wouldn't put any of those in the amp's effects loop.

Also, two LS-2s seems excessive. Why not put all the pedals you want a clean blend with in the same LS-2 loop?[/quote]

very true!

anyone know where i can get a feedback looper? and are they bad for your speakers?

andy

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='0175westwood29' post='1140575' date='Feb 24 2011, 10:24 PM']right final rethink ive added a few pedals.

im gonna grab a swollen pickle when i get paid, and then its just the octave, delay and reverb.

ive got it set up bar them and it sounds pretty cool, love the feedback loop gets some really cool sounds when i use the ph-3 which is an awesome pedal!

andy[/quote]

I have a Swollen Pickle and OC-3 for sale in the classifieds if your still interested in those pedals.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=124972"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=124972[/url]

If you have a feedback loop, I'd recommend any modulation or time based effects.
The Clone Theory does amazing things in a feedback loop when in the Trem mode, as well as when in the Chorus modes and combined with other effects etc.

Do you not like Chorus ?

Edited by Wud

[quote name='Wud' post='1145076' date='Feb 28 2011, 09:43 PM']If you have a feedback loop, I'd recommend any modulation or time based effects.
The Clone Theory does amazing things in a feedback loop when in the Trem mode, as well as when in the Chorus modes and combined with other effects etc.

Do you not like Chorus ?[/quote]

i havent really found a pedal that i like, although i have only tried a few the boss bass chorus the joke the is the behringer chorus pedal.

going to a guitar shop at the weekend hopefully so ill try out a few.

and atm ive got a bf-3 in the feedback loop but i want that so i can use it norm so im gonna grab maybe a bass balls and cheapo delay to lob in it instead

andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' post='1111604' date='Feb 1 2011, 08:50 PM']not a bad shout! put a link man ill have a look.

andy[/quote]

soz - only just seen this.

it's a boss CE-5 [s]bass[/s] chorus ensemble , very good nick - £35 delivered

Edited by ahpook

That CE-5 looks like it has potential. Wouldn't mind trying one myself when I get funds to replace the CE-2 (& give it back to my guitarist).

The problem with putting a compressor at the start of your chain is that it will kill your plans on using the dynamics of your playing to control any filter effects (such as the AW-3) as it levels out all your notes to the same volume.
If you're planning on using a comp, then I'd stick it after any filters. If you stick it at the end then you run the chance of raising the noise floor up to irritating (one of the reasons I've not bothered adding a compressor).

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1146658' date='Mar 2 2011, 01:02 AM']That CE-5 looks like it has potential. Wouldn't mind trying one myself when I get funds to replace the CE-2 (& give it back to my guitarist).

The problem with putting a compressor at the start of your chain is that it will kill your plans on using the dynamics of your playing to control any filter effects (such as the AW-3) as it levels out all your notes to the same volume.
If you're planning on using a comp, then I'd stick it after any filters. If you stick it at the end then you run the chance of raising the noise floor up to irritating (one of the reasons I've not bothered adding a compressor).[/quote]

Thats the exact reason ive not put a compressor at front as it kills the aw-3! Maybe the rather than a compressor i should throw a eq pedal at the end to build my signal back up? Or the mxr/dunlop m80 di?

Andy

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1146731' date='Mar 2 2011, 08:34 AM']compressors don't automatically make every note the same level. It's easy to set up a compressor infront of an envelope follower, and still have it follow your (altered) dynamics.

Whether or not it gives the compression you're after...[/quote]

Well thats it not really looking to add compression, just build my sound up again after going through so many pedals?

Andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' post='1146720' date='Mar 2 2011, 08:21 AM']Thats the exact reason ive not put a compressor at front as it kills the aw-3! Maybe the rather than a compressor i should throw a eq pedal at the end to build my signal back up? Or the mxr/dunlop m80 di?

Andy[/quote]

how about the mxr micro amp ?

ok so i have gone a totally diferent way with my delay and reverb.

went to mansons in exeter today and sat down and had a good long play through loads of effects! went thru as similar set up as i could to mine which ended up being an svt going thru a 410 and 115. and i played a zon sonus.

first i wanted to have a good try with some octaves! sadly they didnt have the boss in stock! but i did try out the ebs octabass, the ehx mini pog and the aguilar octimizer. sadly they didnt have the mxr bod.

by far my fave was the aggie but thats not saying im gonna get it as im not a huge fan of what it does to my clean sound, i managed to use the clean tone control to get near but it wasnt the same. the tracking is awesome on the ebs and aguilar but it the octave did really seem to sound very clean on the ebs. not sure i can afford to shell out 130 quid on something ill use once? but im sure ill will return and try out a few more as i couldnt get an octave down fuzz sound i was happy with in the shop so may try and grab them secondhand when i have some money and play them with the band through my stuff.

but the really cool thing was i also tried out a few delay pedals while i was there! ( you should have seen the guys face when i asked to try them on bass! ) tried the boss dd-7, the ehx memory boy and the mxr carbon copy.

i tried the boss first totally expecting to be happy and go to the till as im a big boss guy and they norm get it right for me, but this was not one of those times really didnt get on with it, could be the way i want to use it, or just the way i play but just didnt sound nice at all rather harsh to my ears, played that for like 15mins trying to get something i was happy with but was no use, the tap tempo is a nice touch and for like 8th notes etc really handy but that didnt make up for the rest of the pedal for me.
then plugged in the mxr! loved this thing! and its analog so you can get some crazy sounds going for fun! also i got quite a few reverby tones that i was loving to! and the mod switch in the top left of the pedal makes it come alive! love how subtle but yet noticeable it is if that makes sense? they have a deal on so if i can save up the monies quick it will be mine! awesome pedal!
now as for the ehx! this is fricking awesome! so many possibilities! it can do some really cool vibrato stuff, has a nice long delay has a chorus mode which is kinda for me similar to the mxr, just love this pedal and it was a steal at 89 quid! makes me wish id not bottle out of one that a friend was selling for 40! but i could get to try it!

so all in all i can see the rv-5 not being got and grabbing myself a carbon copy to go with the memory boy! also leads me to believe that the mxr bod will be awesome to!

[quote name='Wud' post='1151682' date='Mar 6 2011, 05:48 PM']Yep Analogue Delay is truly fab.
What you really need though is a Swollen Pickle eh what :)[/quote]

oh teh i can not wait!

used the memory boy at practice today! awesome just awesome! just didnt turn it of!

although my psu for my boss was smelling a bit at the end so thats a bit concerning may need up grading even tho i did all the maths and i should be fine its 1000mA and my pedal draw about 850? maybe 900 so should be be overloading it?

andy

Swollen pickle and ce-5 in the house!

Can't wait till sunday!

Also grabbed a diago powerstation for my power.

Just need to grab myself a diago showman pedal board.

oh and made the mistake of going on ebay so i now also have a mxr carbon copy on the way!

andy

Edited by 0175westwood29

• 2 weeks later...

few bit changed not put the swollen pickle in the ls-2 loop, and a wahs on its way.

also taken the feedback loop out until i can afford a bigger board.

but here she is.

not the most friendly board for my feet but im getting used to it will be easier when the boards bigger, sounds awesome tho!

also maybe the most pedals ever on a bcb-600 boss pedal board?

andy