Why become a member? ×

Anyone else mount strap button on lower horn?

topo morto

I am about to nip out to the hardware shop to grab a drill bit and a woodscrew and move my stap button to the lower horn of my P-bass clone (a 'vintage', FWIW)

I tried out the arrangement using one of the scratchplate screws near the end of the horm as a makeshift strap button and it seems to allow me to play with a much less crooked wrist = less pain :)

Was wonering if anyone else did this/has tried this at some point?

[quote name='topo morto' post='1090289' date='Jan 15 2011, 11:52 AM']I am about to nip out to the hardware shop to grab a drill bit and a woodscrew and move my stap button to the lower horn of my P-bass clone (a 'vintage', FWIW)

I tried out the arrangement using one of the scratchplate screws near the end of the horm as a makeshift strap button and it seems to allow me to play with a much less crooked wrist = less pain :)

I was wonering if anyone else did this/has tried this at some point?[/quote]
I think I know what you mean, but I'd say dont do it. leave it and adjust your wrist, Id say.
won't it cause your guitar to "lean" forward? I'm assuming your right handed and its a right handed guitar :) but even the whole thing left handed..?... not sure I've got you.
whats causing the Pain?

Tommy Cooper:Patient to Doctor: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this" (moves arm up and about)
Doctor: "well don't do that"

If it's the forwards tilt that makes it more comfortable rather than the neck angle or strap length then the tried and trusted way is to install a beer belly, they can be adjusted by drinking more or less pints a week until the perfect playing position is found then keep to the same exercise to beer ratio indefinitely :)

Interesting! Yeah, I'd agree with what has been said above about the bass then feeling a bit top heavy?

On a similar note though and a complete revelation for me is that I've moved the strap button on the bum end of the bass down to the lower part of the body. I've found that by anchoring the bass in opposite 'corners' (i.e. upper horn and the other nearer the jack socket) my bass definitely stays locked in position and far more stable against my body when I play. Also far more 'upright' because my little beer belly alien can't push it out the way! Kinda hard to describe without pictures, but hopefully you understand what I mean! I recommend it, especially if you set your strap height such that your bass is in the same place whether sitting down or stood up.

I've also left the original strap button on the bum end too, so that if the bass is stood up against an amp etc, then the body doesn't touch the floor. The buttons act as little feet!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1090495' date='Jan 15 2011, 03:02 PM']Have you been peeking at EBS freaks GB rumour dood? :)[/quote]

Hmmm, nooo.. I don't think I've seen it. Does he do the same?

I had tried shortening the strap but no matter how short I went, the lowest frets were just too far away for me to play them without crooking my wrist (or growing much longer arms!) and experiencing the pain. The issue came to a head trying to play the New Order [i]Blue Monday[/i] bassline, which is

(tuned BEAD)

[font="Courier New"]-3-3--------
-----3-3-5-5
1-1---------
----1-1-3-3-[/font]

So the wrist is under almost constant pressure and I just couldn't make it through the song standing up. (I am a pretty new bass player, been playing less than a year, so I may lack a bit of stamina).

Anyway, I did move the strap button... and I like it! not a surprise as i'd already kludged the arrangement before doing the move...

There is a slight tendancy for the bass to lean forward, but it can't flip because my leg and right hand wrist are in the way. I don't feel like I have to support it. And actually...

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1090413' date='Jan 15 2011, 01:51 PM']If it's the forwards tilt that makes it more comfortable rather than the neck angle or strap length then the tried and trusted way is to install a beer belly, they can be adjusted by drinking more or less pints a week until the perfect playing position is found then keep to the same exercise to beer ratio indefinitely :)[/quote] :)

...the forwards tilt does help, now that I'm starting to dare to play without looking at where I'm putting my fingers. I've been experimenting with the beer belly but am not keen on the man-boobs that seem to come as part of the package.

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1090540' date='Jan 15 2011, 03:46 PM']Won't the strap stop you getting access to the top few frets of the neck? Not a huge problem for many bass players though!

I'd say shorten your strap or look at your thumb position on the neck and see if pointing it more towards the headstock helps.[/quote]

Yes, the drawback is access to the top frets. I think you are right about pointing the thumb more towards the headstock being a good thing - actually before I tried this arrangement i tried putting an extender on the strap button to make the bass hang a bit further to the right, but I found that my thumb kept coming up round the side of the neck.

[quote name='dood' post='1090471' date='Jan 15 2011, 02:40 PM']On a similar note though and a complete revelation for me is that I've moved the strap button on the bum end of the bass down to the lower part of the body. I've found that by anchoring the bass in opposite 'corners' (i.e. upper horn and the other nearer the jack socket) my bass definitely stays locked in position and far more stable against my body when I play. Also far more 'upright' because my little beer belly alien can't push it out the way! Kinda hard to describe without pictures, but hopefully you understand what I mean! I recommend it, especially if you set your strap height such that your bass is in the same place whether sitting down or stood up.[/quote]

I might try that too - I might even go completely zombie and put a button on the left hand side of the bottom of the bass, away from the jack....

Well at least it sounds like I'm being original!

[quote name='witterth' post='1090312' date='Jan 15 2011, 12:17 PM']whats causing the Pain?

Tommy Cooper:Patient to Doctor: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this" (moves arm up and about)
Doctor: "well don't do that"[/quote]
:) Actually I don't really know exactly what it is that's hurting... playing that new order pattern was fine with conventional strappage for about a minute but its the repetitions that kill, hence my search for a nicer position.

It's a tricky one but I really think you should try a new strap length everyone is different. Some wear it like a chin strap but I find it hard to see the upper frets especially as a speccy four eyes! Also too low and the lower frets require twisting of the wrist so set a new strap length and stick at it for a while. I have raised mine over the last year or so in small amounts even after years of playing, higher seems to be better on your back IMO.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='dood' post='1090471' date='Jan 15 2011, 02:40 PM']Interesting! Yeah, I'd agree with what has been said above about the bass then feeling a bit top heavy?

On a similar note though and a complete revelation for me is that I've moved the strap button on the bum end of the bass down to the lower part of the body. I've found that by anchoring the bass in opposite 'corners' (i.e. upper horn and the other nearer the jack socket) my bass definitely stays locked in position and far more stable against my body when I play. Also far more 'upright' because my little beer belly alien can't push it out the way! Kinda hard to describe without pictures, but hopefully you understand what I mean! I recommend it, especially if you set your strap height such that your bass is in the same place whether sitting down or stood up.

I've also left the original strap button on the bum end too, so that if the bass is stood up against an amp etc, then the body doesn't touch the floor. The buttons act as little feet![/quote]

Status have always had two strap buttons / feet at the bottom so I tried hooking the strap to the lower one and I see what you mean, does feel more stable!

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1090852' date='Jan 15 2011, 08:42 PM']If you find the bass tilting forward after the modification, just run the strap in front of the bass. No more problem.

:)[/quote]

Genius! This should also be in the String Muting thread.

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='topo morto' post='1090787' date='Jan 15 2011, 07:43 PM']I had tried shortening the strap but no matter how short I went, the lowest frets were just too far away for me to play them without crooking my wrist (or growing much longer arms!) and experiencing the pain.[/quote]

It sounds like you're holding the bass wrong. The "fix" you've employed is only going to cause additional problems down the line.

Strap your bass on, and sit down with it sitting on your right leg. The headstock should be at shoulder level.

Stand up... the bass should not move. The headstock should still be at shoulder level.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='1091134' date='Jan 16 2011, 10:06 AM']It sounds like you're holding the bass wrong. The "fix" you've employed is only going to cause additional problems down the line.

Strap your bass on, and sit down with it sitting on your right leg. The headstock should be at shoulder level.

Stand up... the bass should not move. The headstock should still be at shoulder level.[/quote]
+1 on that method.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='1091134' date='Jan 16 2011, 10:06 AM']Strap your bass on, and sit down with it sitting on your right leg. The headstock should be at shoulder level.

Stand up... the bass should not move. The headstock should still be at shoulder level.[/quote]

Hmm.... that's pretty much what happens [i]now[/i], with the new (odd) strap arrangement!

If I did that with the old strap arrangement, the bass would swing to the left on standing up.... moving the lower frets out of comfortable reach for intense work!

Thanks to you and all for the ideas, I'll keep experimenting.