Why become a member? ×

New Squier Transformation Project Now 100% Completed

Grand Wazoo

I have an eBay Fender decal on my bitsa Jazz, I'm looking forward to the first nerd who comes saying do I know it's a fake , The reply will be something like "yes I made it, the logo is green and it has a squire neck plate also it has 4 knobs the jack socket is on the body, A pair of Barts and a Badass". Like GW mine wil never be sold as it couldn't be replaced for 10 times what I would get for it and it's awesome!

Loving your P bass GW and the neck tint is real nice too, Looks similar to the new Classic Stingray finish.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1095804' date='Jan 19 2011, 11:20 PM']Loving your P bass GW and the neck tint is real nice too, [b][i][color="#4B0082"]Looks similar to the new Classic Stingray finish[/color][/i][/b].[/quote]

Thanks dude, though it wasn't my intention, I was attempting to mimic a 60's P bass I saw a pic of from the History of Fender book. But I guess that is also the tone that the Classic Rays were aiming at.

It all worked out nice in the end. And now I have removed the thumb rest / finger pull thingie because I think it looks better without and to be frank it's no use apart from being a bit of a nuisance for slap/pull frenzies.

Thanks for the info regarding the Ronseal GW. Did you give it several coats?

Re the "upset" comment. A while ago I posted a pic of my VMJ with a rather nice Fender logo and someone mentioned that you shouldn`t replce the transfer as you might be trying to rip someone off by passing it off as a Fender. Some people have too much times on their hands :)

Jez

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='1096679' date='Jan 20 2011, 07:14 PM']Thanks for the info regarding the Ronseal GW. Did you give it several coats?

Re the "upset" comment. A while ago I posted a pic of my VMJ with a rather nice Fender logo and someone mentioned that you shouldn`t replce the transfer as you might be trying to rip someone off by passing it off as a Fender. Some people have too much times on their hands :)

Jez[/quote]

2 coats for the tint and a last coat of sealing clear lacquer.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1095287' date='Jan 19 2011, 03:50 PM'][...]the Mighty Mite would actually resonate with note very close to a low A (checked with a tuner clipped on the headstock). What that all meant was that once the MM neck was fitted, resonance and sustain, as well as the sound quality of the bass improved a great deal. I could immediately tell the difference even before I plugged it in the amp, it has a lot of twang even unplugged.[/quote]

Funny how people tend not to talk about the contribution of the neck to tone other than the straight maple/rosewood/other fretboard comparison - I'm starting to think it's pretty significant.

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1097762' date='Jan 21 2011, 04:37 PM']Funny how people tend not to talk about the contribution of the neck to tone other than the straight maple/rosewood/other fretboard comparison - I'm starting to think it's pretty significant.[/quote]

You are accurately on target there, I tend to prefer maple over rosewood, because I am one of those people who can tell or feel the difference and although I have been enjoying that Classic Vibe as it was so far, I knew in the back of my mind, that there was something that had me humming and arring about a much needed resonance improvement in the neck department and now that I have swapped it with a whole maple one I have proven at least to myself that I was right, I am now 100% satisfied with this [b]SQUIER[/b] bass and I believe that every penny that has gone into it to make it this way was worth it.

1 x Lollar Pickup
1 x full period correct wiring kit, consisting of waxed cloth wires, CTS pots, Sprague Capacitor, Switchkraft input socket
1 x set of Fender vintage reverse tuners & bushings
1 x Fender String Tree
1 x FAKE 60's Fender logo (FTW)
1 x Fender antique perloid pickguard
1 x Mighty Mite maple fretboard neck
1 x Fender reconstitued bone nut
1 x tin of Ronseal Yacht amber varnish
1 x small tin veneer laquer (B&Q)

[quote name='loudandclear' post='1100118' date='Jan 23 2011, 09:07 PM']got to say that looks brilliant imho[/quote]

Thanks I appreciate it.

You know I think I might start a small venture called "Pimp my Bass" where people sends me their basses for me to tart them up with the bits of their choice, I think there is a niche in the market for this.

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='1094499' date='Jan 18 2011, 09:37 PM']get some man sized knobs on that too....[/quote]

Ok I think I've got the man sized knobs covered. I've sourced some proper telecaster - type knobs to go with it, now... I ask, has anyone have any more complaints? I have also removed the tug bar / thumb rest which didn't go with the colour scheme, I think this bass is now completed in all aspects. But see what you think:

GW, I'm being totally honest here, if I hadn't of followed this diary and just gone to the last pics, I would of assumed it was a real Fender. I love what you've done to it, it looks absolutely gorgeous!
I have a question for you, would you be able to do the same to the maple neck of my P bass as what you've done to this one if I was to send you it? And how much would you charge if you can? I can supply the Fender logo as well :) Would be really cool if you could as you've done a perfect job on it

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='1102020' date='Jan 25 2011, 01:00 PM']GW, I'm being totally honest here, if I hadn't of followed this diary and just gone to the last pics, I would of assumed it was a real Fender. I love what you've done to it, it looks absolutely gorgeous!
I have a question for you, would you be able to do the same to the maple neck of my P bass as what you've done to this one if I was to send you it? And how much would you charge if you can? I can supply the Fender logo as well :) Would be really cool if you could as you've done a perfect job on it[/quote]

Sorry pal, I don't exactly have a workshop and I borrowed and returned the spraying gun and a warehouse from a mate. I would think any decent luthier would be able to do that for you, it's not rocket science, I am sorry but I don't want to breath in anymore harmful stuff, that was enoguh to give me a heartburn for the next 4 days. I did use a mask but the stuff got to my lungs anyway. A pro might even do a better job.

Sorry bout that.

Considering that the only part left from the former Squier which it was born as is the basswood body and the original excellent hi-mass bridge, everything else being a mixture of aftermarket parts, I cannot refer to this bass as the Squier Classic Vibe Precision anymore but... The Project P-Bass instead. It's only fair. The neck is a Mighty Mite, the pickup is a Lollar, and everything else is Fender original machine heads wiring, pots and other bits and bobs.

• 5 months later...

Sorry to drag this up again.
GW, can i ask if you had to do any work to the neck pocket to get the neck to fit? I understand about having to get the holes drilled in the neck but other thna that was it a good fit.
Im about to buy a MM2909 neck and just wanted to check first.

Cheers.