Why become a member? ×

New Squier Transformation Project Now 100% Completed

Grand Wazoo

As I prefer maple fretboard to rosewood I have got myself a nice Mighty Might maple neck, and had a few coats of ageing stain sprayed on it, I sourced a set of Fender Vintage reverse tuners, the back plate and the string tree round thingie, I am now just waiting for the bushing that go around the tuning posts and to drill the neck screw holes (but I'll let a pro do that job as I don't want to make a dog dinner of it) Oh and as the neck was bare, I had the opportunity to have a Fender logo applied on it, [b][size=3]YES I DO KNOW IT'S STILL A SQUIER[/size][/b] by the way, but it'll look more the part that way, anyway I look forward to the new honking maple sound as opposed to the rosewood one.

Pics here:

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='untune' post='1094482' date='Jan 18 2011, 09:19 PM']That looks awesome... I've been on the lookout for a neck for a week or two, I started a thread about MM necks somewhere but didn't really get any response. Are they difficult to get hold of? Import-wise?[/quote]

Send me a PM and I'll give you the contacts of my supplier in UK

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='1094523' date='Jan 18 2011, 09:55 PM']Is the scratchplate a standard Fender one for a Pbass? I ask as sometimes Squier ones don't have the holes for the screws in the same place.[/quote]

Yes, we've been over this in a previous thread, [b]Squier CV pickguards are cut exactly as the original Fender ones[/b]. They fit nice and flush, no extra drilling required. The only problem you might have would be if your truss rod adjustment is at the end of the neck and not on the headstock, in which case you will need to chisel out a small indentation to allow for the screwdriver to access the recessed truss rod slot.

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='1094499' date='Jan 18 2011, 09:37 PM']get some man sized knobs on that too....[/quote]

Example? These are Fender knobs but they have the rounded dome instead, which I find more comfortable than the flat top ones. Show me what you mean by all means, I am always interested to learn. Ta.

[quote name='Schnozzalee' post='1094663' date='Jan 18 2011, 11:48 PM']Does look fab, stain that thumb rest! I like the vintage look as well but this look stands out more - thanks for posting, gives me an idea what your Dingwall's going to look like :)[/quote]

Yes I will sort out the thumb rest soon, probably going to fit a clear one, or black or even perloid to match the pickguard, I don't like how that one looks either. it's on the cards, just didn't have the time today. I only get one day off every once in a blue moon.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1094599' date='Jan 18 2011, 10:51 PM']Yes, we've been over this in a previous thread, [b]Squier CV pickguards are cut exactly as the original Fender ones[/b]. They fit nice and flush, no extra drilling required. The only problem you might have would be if your truss rod adjustment is at the end of the neck and not on the headstock, in which case you will need to chisel out a small indentation to allow for the screwdriver to access the recessed truss rod slot.[/quote]

Sorry to go over this again but could you point me to the thread that has discussed this, or could you tell me the exact PG you used.
There are many Fender PGs and im assuming its not the MIA one you used as the TR cut out isnt there (like you said). Ive read a few people have put on various Fender PG's only to find the curve up by the jack socket is slightly off and can leave a small gap. I'd love to get a black one but dont want to risk getting the wrong model.

The bass is looking great now. Im tempted to get a MM neck at some point as i too would love a maple neck on mine.

Cheers.

Sure Dave, the thread I discussed this goes way back when I first modded the Moo- moo and this P Bass. however I got my Fender original P/guard from a private eBay dealer, it was in a sealed Fender branded shrink wrapped packet, you just need to make sure it's a 13 holes one and that matches these specs:

Incidentally these people (who I have used before and can recommend to you) could get hold of original Fender parts, so send them an email, see what they say

[url="http://www.axesrus.com/AxePlatesBass.html"]http://www.axesrus.com/AxePlatesBass.html[/url]

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1095040' date='Jan 19 2011, 12:39 PM']Sure Dave, the thread I discussed this goes way back when I first modded the Moo- moo and this P Bass. however I got my Fender original P/guard from a private eBay dealer, it was in a sealed Fender branded shrink wrapped packet, you just need to make sure it's a 13 holes one and that matches these specs:

Incidentally these people (who I have used before and can recommend to you) could get hold of original Fender parts, so send them an email, see what they say

[url="http://www.axesrus.com/AxePlatesBass.html"]http://www.axesrus.com/AxePlatesBass.html[/url][/quote]

Thanks very much.

I had a look on the Axesrus site and they have them with the same dimensions as in your post for £18 so ill take a chance.

[quote name='mart' post='1095118' date='Jan 19 2011, 01:33 PM']Nice work!

So are you going to play a set with this bass, and then come on with the Dingwall version of it for an encore, and see how confused people get? :)[/quote]

Yeah I like that idea, I would imagine people would be looking at their beer bottles to check exactly how much they've drunk. :) :lol:

[quote name='Metalmoore' post='1087934' date='Jan 13 2011, 01:27 PM']Those mighty mite maple necks are awesome, my custom jazz has one and it is THE best neck i have ever played... Very reasonable price too from eBay.[/quote]

+1 on this - my bitsa P (actually now a P/J) has a MM neck, and it's fantastic. I'm getting a bit monotonous about this, but the whole bass turned out so well I sold my US P-Basses on the strength of it.

I have to add that despite the look factor (which is debatable depending on people's taste) side by side the 2 naked neck weighed differently with the MM being 15 oz lighter than the Squier, also if you "hit" the necks with the palm of your hand, the Squier would give a dull thump whereas the Mighty Mite would actually resonate with note very close to a low A (checked with a tuner clipped on the headstock). What that all meant was that once the MM neck was fitted, resonance and sustain, as well as the sound quality of the bass improved a great deal. I could immediately tell the difference even before I plugged it in the amp, it has a lot of twang even unplugged.

Mighty Mite gets my full vote!

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1095201' date='Jan 19 2011, 02:30 PM']Yeah I like that idea, I would imagine people would be looking at their beer bottles to check exactly how much they've drunk. :) :lol:[/quote]

And then for the second encore you come back on with the Squier and leave them thinking they must've just imagined the squint frets :)

That`s really tasty GW. Like the Fender decal, gauranteed to upset a few people on here :)

What was the varnish/stain that you used on the headstock and how did you get it looking so good? I`ve a G&L and the only thing that I don`t like about it is the pale matt finish headstock so any advice would be appreciated.

Jez

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='1095616' date='Jan 19 2011, 08:28 PM']That`s really tasty GW. Like the Fender decal, gauranteed to upset a few people on here :)
Jez[/quote]

Who's going to get upset? I am not hiding the fact that this bass is still a Squier Classic Vibe, but since the headstock of the Mighty Mite neck had no logo, let's face it what were the chances of me finding a Squier logo as opposed to 1000's of Fender fake ones knocking around on the dark side of eBay? Oh and this bass is not for resale EVER, this is the best P Bass I have ever had, which explains the extent of the labour of love that went into it to tart it up as much as I have done.

The stain is believe or not.... Ronseal Amber Yacht Varnish Gloss available in B&Q for £12.65 500ml can.

[url="http://mydeco.com/p/ronseal-exterior-yacht-varnish-gloss-500ml/GB000215EVDNF4YLRNR3YSDX6TNIEARUBDTCW6DN/"]http://mydeco.com/p/ronseal-exterior-yacht...NIEARUBDTCW6DN/[/url]

[b][i]...does exactly what it says on the tin![/i][/b]

Edited by Grand Wazoo