Why become a member? ×

Geddy's not perfect after all!

Conan

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1088051' date='Jan 13 2011, 02:28 PM']And nobody in the 5 pages of YouTube comments picked up on it so I'd say it was a fairly good lesson[/quote]

For 'comments' read [i]hagiography[/i]!

[quote name='Conan' post='1088025' date='Jan 13 2011, 02:10 PM']It's interesting that a lot of us long-term Rush fans still love the band but are not keen on their recent material. The cut-off point may vary (for me they became inconsistent after Roll the Bones, but I still really like Test for Echo. I just can't get away with the last two studio albums). To me it just feels that they have become rather stagnant and are going through the motions to a certain extent. Back in the seventies and eighties, and even into the nineties, every new album had something new or different to it's predecessors. Not any more IMO.

What does that say about us as fans or indeed about the band themselves? I wonder if there are fans of 'modern' Rush who hate the earlier stuff? I guess there must be, but I'm yet to meet one![/quote]

I'm an oooh, 30 year long Rush fan, & like both the old & the new stuff they've done. Actually, it's a couple of bits in the middle I'm unsure about - have struggled to really like 'Presto' as an album & 'Dog Years' off of 'Test for Echo' is the worst song they've ever released......

'Secret Touch' off 'Vapor Trails' is a song I listen to a lot, & I reckon 'Far Cry' from 'Snakes & Arrows' is up there with the best songs Rush have written.

After such a long career & with so many varied sounds & styles, I can understand why somebody wouldn't be into all their albums though.

(PS: my son is 20 & has 'Tears' from 2112 & 'YYZ' on his iPod. Ok he's not an out & out fan, but there's a young 'un liking a bit of the older stuff!!)

I think I got Hold Your Fire and Power Windows when I was about 16, and the first Rush record I bought was Grace Under Pressure. I was in Virgin's music store in Newcastle when I found Grace Under Pressure and scanned it on one of the listening points. I listened to a small section of 'Afterimage' and I was blown away. I bought the CD and I have been hooked ever since!

I guess thats why I'm such a fan of 80's Rush, with Signals through the Hold Your Fire being my favourite Rush records. I like their newer stuff ('How It Is' has to be one of the best songs they've ever written) but it doesn't hit me with the same memorable melodies and stunning arrangement as their 80's stuff. Counterparts and Test For Echo are really the low points for me, as both have about 1 song I'll sit and listen to, namely 'Resist 'and 'Leave That Thing Alone'. Their embracing of the rock sound of the time doesn't really interest me and those two records strike me as being a band that was running out of steam. It seems when they made Vapor Trails, after everthing they'd been through, they had finally gotten their fire back.

[quote name='Wilco' post='1088461' date='Jan 13 2011, 07:17 PM'](PS: my son is 20 & has 'Tears' from 2112 & 'YYZ' on his iPod. Ok he's not an out & out fan, but there's a young 'un liking a bit of the older stuff!!)[/quote]

Excellent! Tears is a beautiful track and one of my favourite 'ballads' by any band. Lovely stuff. And YYZ? One of Geddy's most interesting basslines IMO! Your son has good taste! :)

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1088479' date='Jan 13 2011, 07:25 PM']Their embracing of the rock sound of the time doesn't really interest me and those two records strike me as being a band that was running out of steam. It seems when they made Vapor Trails, after everthing they'd been through, they had finally gotten their fire back.[/quote]

That's interesting! Vapor trails is my least favourite Rush album - by a country mile! I just can't get into it at all and actually find it annoying and fatiguing to listen to. Believe me, I've tried. Snakes and arrows is getting there. It is still growing on me after three years but it is far from my favourite!

When I started high school in 1979 (Jesus!! Am I that old now? :) ) my 'new best friend' was into Rush. He had an enormous "Tour of the Hemispheres" poster on his bedroom wall, which was just the coolest thing I had ever seen. Just after that, I headed off to Windows in the Central Arcade in Newcastle and parted with £4.20 of my hard-earned pocket money to purchase Rush's triple album "Archives" - which is basically their first three albums re-packaged. I never looked back. I still remember the excitement among the 'heavies' at school when Permanent Waves had just come out. Who bought it? Who had heard it? What did we all think of it? etc.

Happy memories!! And due to the enjoyment that Rush have given me over the last 32 years (eeek!) I would almost forgive them anything.

Except Dog Years. :)

[quote name='JTUK' post='1088490' date='Jan 13 2011, 07:33 PM']Never ever got this Rush thing....just not my thing at all.[/quote]

That's cool! That's what makes them the 'biggest cult band in the world'! It also makes some of us love them even more! :)

[quote name='Conan' post='1088498' date='Jan 13 2011, 07:37 PM']That's cool! That's what makes them the 'biggest cult band in the world'! It also makes some of us love them even more! :)[/quote]

:) I must admit I avoided them like the plague but at one time even I recall that they were winning everything..so cult is probably too modest.

Best bass was always between Squires, Lee and Bruce. I stayed out of it...ha ha !!

[quote name='JTUK' post='1088490' date='Jan 13 2011, 07:33 PM']Was he ever really good...??

Does a fine job singing and playing but give me Glen Hughes anyday for that sort of thing.
He is indeed a singer 1st cum bass player, IMLO.[/quote]

Are you talking about Geddy? Really? I really like Glenn but I much prefer Geddy's playing. Geddy's style is very near my favourite in a rock context (whatever that is), although I prefer Entwistle and Squire. I'd put Geddy in my all-time top 5 rock bassists, no question.

Just out of interest, what sort of player do you prefer (genuine query with no agenda)? Or are you just not a rock fan? I've already gathered you don't seem to like the twangy, trebly distorted thing (which is what I [i]love)[/i].

I guess I graviated towards a funkier style pretty quickly.

My fave rock player as a learner was Glover.... and was never into any proggie stuff...so I wouldn't have listened greatly to Squires, Lee or Entwhistle..not that the latter played in a prog band..but I would have said he could have done.
After that I found Stanley, Jaco and pretty soon MM even though he was hardly 20.
I think everyone was slapping around the time of Lopsy Lou..

I stayed Stateside with my choice of players..

I had influences but no idols. I'll steal something that I like from anyone and mash it all up into what I do.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1088587' date='Jan 13 2011, 08:59 PM']I had influences but no idols. I'll steal something that I like from anyone and mash it all up into what I do.[/quote]

Me too! And while Geddy is someone I'd love to meet and chew the fat with, I certainly don't idolise him. In fact, I don't idolise anyone. Although Marcus, Mark, Flea, Stan, Phil, Herbie, Jean-Jacques, Bruce et al influenced me to a greater or lesser degree - Geddy is the one whose playing I most hear in my own style - for better and for worse!!

[quote name='JTUK' post='1088587' date='Jan 13 2011, 08:59 PM']I guess I graviated towards a funkier style pretty quickly.

My fave rock player as a learner was Glover.... and was never into any proggie stuff...so I wouldn't have listened greatly to Squires, Lee or Entwhistle..not that the latter played in a prog band..but I would have said he could have done.
After that I found Stanley, Jaco and pretty soon MM even though he was hardly 20.
I think everyone was slapping around the time of Lopsy Lou..

I stayed Stateside with my choice of players..

I had influences but no idols. I'll steal something that I like from anyone and mash it all up into what I do.[/quote]

Always liked Rog. I discovered Stanley immediately after Geddy, much the same as Les Claypool did. Stan became The Man for me for a while then. I listened to a lot of Jaco but never really liked his playing too much (and I really, really tried); for me his greatest asset was his time (of course his intonation wasn't bad either). As for Marcus, I got into a lot of trouble last time....let's just say he doesn't do it for me. :)

I grew up listening to jazz (big band & bebop mainly) and from there gravitated (I'm sure Bilbo would insert a different word!) towards rock, particularly prog, and pop. My real loves tend to be in one of those 3 areas; although I went through a fusion phase it was very much a RTF/Mahavishnu thing. I was never really into jazz-funk or r&b in the Marcus sense; James Brown is a different matter. I think up until recently Stan was the only Stateside player who was a big influence, Geddy being Canadian of course.

I've had players I really love (still do) but I don't necessarily want to be them (ok, at the very beginning I really wanted to be Lemmy :) ). I imagine many of the people who have seen me noodling would be fairly surprised to see a list my favourite bass players, although I could be wrong!

Edited by 4000

Just seen this - everyone has an 'off day' - good job there was a camera there to capture this, as Geddy doesn't have that many. The first time I saw Rush (Sheffield on the Roll the Bones tour) Neil missed part of the drum intro to 'Force Ten' - opening number too... still a great live band, but then they should be for £70! :)

to compare the '75 (year before i was born) findin my way with the '91 version is incredible. sounds soo much better in the 70's, and i dont mean the playing, but the actual sound. where did we go wrong? too many effects and 'better' equipment now i guess. funny how improvements in audio technology just make things crapper. although lee looks hardly any different.

Edited by lettsguitars

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1088826' date='Jan 14 2011, 01:25 AM']to compare the '75 (year before i was born) findin my way with the '91 version is incredible. sounds soo much better in the 70's, and i dont mean the playing, but the actual sound. where did we go wrong? too many effects and 'better' equipment now i guess. funny how improvements in audio technology just make things crapper. although lee looks hardly any different.[/quote]

I'd probably say the same about most 70s bands who are still playing. I remember watching the Cream Reunion Concert (yes I know they were 60s!) and thinking "where did the sound go"? It just seemed so weak.

I'm a bit like Bilbo in that I kind of lost interest in Rush after Moving Pictures (although I bought and quite enjoyed Signals). It just wasn't the same without the kaftans. :)

Edited by 4000