Why become a member? ×

Makes you proud to be British!

Lo.

I thought I'd post a quick note to say I was lucky enough to meet Michael Henderson in Blackpool at the weekend, and got to play a little on a bass made for him by Jim Fleetwood. It's a beautiful instrument he's called The Starship bass.

I think it's wonderful that Jim paid this tribute to MH - he's simply one of the most important bassists ever and it's about time he had a signature bass. Most of his recorded work was with a Jazz bass, but the Starship has a J/M pickup set up. I'll try to get a few pictures and post eventually, but heads up, the Starship is landing in 2011.

[quote name='Lo.' post='1086081' date='Jan 11 2011, 09:06 PM']I thought I'd post a quick note to say I was lucky enough to meet Michael Henderson in Blackpool at the weekend, and got to play a little on a bass made for him by Jim Fleetwood. It's a beautiful instrument he's called The Starship bass.

I think it's wonderful that Jim paid this tribute to MH - he's simply one of the most important bassists ever and it's about time he had a signature bass. Most of his recorded work was with a Jazz bass, but the Starship has a J/M pickup set up. I'll try to get a few pictures and post eventually, but heads up, the Starship is landing in 2011.[/quote]

Apologies for my ignorance, but who is Michael Henderson?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your comments. If you want to see some pics from that night, and of the bass, here they are, on my blog:

[url="http://luthiery.co.uk/2011/02/01/michael-henderson-starship-bass/"]http://luthiery.co.uk/2011/02/01/michael-h...-starship-bass/[/url]

Hope I haven't broken any rules of self-promotion on here. Apologies if I have, and I'll delete this post and PM if so. Let me know.

The Jazz/MM pickups combo is because Michael said "Imagine if I could have a bass that sounded like a jazz bass, but if you flick a switch, it's a MM". Fortunately, Delano make the hybrid, which does that very thing, and looks cool.

Jim

Thanks for the great photos Jim. Can't wait to hear it recorded, maybe later this year?

Who's Michael Henderson? A quick primer for you lucky people who haven't discovered him yet:

In the 60's he started recording for Motown when he was 13. He became a Motown road bassist while James Jamerson was locked away in the studio - at 16/17 he was one of the only ones good enough to learn some of the incredible lines Jamerson was creating. The kind of kids that came to see him play Motown shows at that time were Jaco Pastorius, Stanley Clarke, Miroslav Vitous....he later joined Stevie Wonder's band and toured with him (he was a ripe old age of 19 then), until Betty Davis saw them in NY and told Miles Davis he should go see Michael play. Miles took one look at him and told Stevie Wonder after the show "I'm taking your F***in' bass player". He then became the longest ever serving bassman for Miles Davis (and Stevie spent the next few years playing his own keyboard bass). That's the early years anyway.

[quote name='Jim Fleeting' post='1112870' date='Feb 2 2011, 07:28 PM']Thanks for your comments. If you want to see some pics from that night, and of the bass, here they are, on my blog:

[url="http://luthiery.co.uk/2011/02/01/michael-henderson-starship-bass/"]http://luthiery.co.uk/2011/02/01/michael-h...-starship-bass/[/url]

Hope I haven't broken any rules of self-promotion on here. Apologies if I have, and I'll delete this post and PM if so. Let me know.

The Jazz/MM pickups combo is because Michael said "Imagine if I could have a bass that sounded like a jazz bass, but if you flick a switch, it's a MM". Fortunately, Delano make the hybrid, which does that very thing, and looks cool.

Jim[/quote]

that would look pant-wettingly awesome with some orange DR Neons :)