Why become a member? ×

Anybody want to chip in...?

Jigster

Surely you can only compare vintage fender prices with other vintage prices?!....comparing it to a Status or Suhr is pointless!. My opinion is that old instruments just have 'something', different to new instruments...and you pay for it should that be your preference....similar to paying 10k for a Fodera for that 'something' (that eludes me past the aesthetic).

In any case, this '59 looks amazing, and I actually think price is really good for an all original w/case in a shop (within the context of Vintage Fenders). Very jealous I'm not very very flush lol

Si

[quote name='bassace' post='1083137' date='Jan 9 2011, 01:54 PM']That sort of money would buy quite a nice double bass....[/quote]
Yes but again that's out of context :)....52 years vintage in double bass land is nothing. What do people pay for a great orchestral DB of excellent vintage?...50k upwards?!

Si

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1083172' date='Jan 9 2011, 02:46 PM']As soon as I find a P bass better than something handmade that sounds good I'll let you know, but don't hold your breath! :)[/quote]

Hmm this is an argument that's been had a zillion times but I've played a lot of high end basses (never a ACG admittedly) that has sounded better than the two or three best Fenders I played. But then of course, that's just my opinion. Depends what you want from a bass.

[quote name='risingson' post='1083176' date='Jan 9 2011, 02:49 PM']I've played a lot of high end basses (never a ACG admittedly) that has sounded better than the two or three best Fenders I played.[/quote]

Same here. I've been very fortunate to play many high end basses and they regularly trump the best Fenders I've ever played with great ease. Even some of the mediocre boutique stuff has been better than the Fenders! But like you say, it is a case of different vinegar strokes for different folks.

Umm, now what I need to do is find someone else with a '59 P bass, get them to sell it to advertise it for £50 & then sell it to me at that price.

At which point the 'price match promise' clause kicks in and the other guy picks up the one from the Gallery for £50 as well.

I then sell him his bass back for the original £50 plus a decent 'drink' for sorting the deal . . .

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1082533' date='Jan 8 2011, 08:19 PM']Nah. You can buy a bass that looks, plays & sounds pretty much identical to that for about a hundred quid.

If I had £8000 to blow on a bass, I'd get my head examined.

Jon.[/quote]

Go on Jon admit it, if you had £8K for basses you'd buy 80 more pieces of Japcrap and open a museum :)

Edited by KevB