Why become a member? ×

New Band, First Gig

geoffbyrne

Well, just came in from the first gig of The End of the Line Blues band and am sitting here with a glass of Dalwhinnie Single Malt in my hand mulling it over. This is one of the bands I started when my affiliation with a guitarist/singer/bassist fell apart in the summer - as we played some pretty good stuff, I was pretty pissed. However, I digress (the other is a middle-of-the-road band with a female singer, sax/vocals, guitar, drums - same guy - & me on bass/vocals)

It was a gig local to the guitar player who got the pub to take us on on spec, with no promise of payment.

The guitarist hasn't gigged before, & the drummer hasn't gigged as a drummer - but he used to be a gigging bassist.

The singer is a bluesman & harp player from way back, but has just come back to it. I'm on bass.

Since the drummer used to be a bassist, he & I can get really tight, as he has the abilty to watch my fretting hand & tie in with the rhythms I'm playing.

Anyway. Lots of nerves - played the first few numbers a bit too fast & didn't leave any time between songs.

4th song was a bit of an oops as the guitarist started it in the wrong key, but Dave (singer) came in on harp on the correct key & it all righted itself, except I forgot we'd changed it from A to E & took 2 verses to figure it.

Anyway, we were more than OK generally & a guy came up at the end & booked us for a full payment gig.

The pub gave us £100 amongst us, which was better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Another 2 or 3 gigs & we'll be up to speed.

No pics or sounds. Set list follows.

White Room
Tore Down
Johnny B Goode
Hi Heeled Sneakers
Help Me
Stormy Monday
Born Under A Bad Sign
Lets Work Together
Cross Roads
Sitting On Top Of The World

Break.......

Black Magic Woman
Alabama Train
Shake Your Money Maker
Tell Me How You Like It
Thrill Has Gone
Need Your Love So Bad
Got My Mojo Working
Fade To Black
White Room
Tore Down or Sitting On Top Of The World (or both again, depends on the audience
reaction to us)

G.

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1071480' date='Dec 29 2010, 09:29 AM']I was interested to see a few songs repeated in the second set. I've never thought of this before but can see how it could work.

Is this a fairly common practice? Is it generally positive, or does the audience sometimes complain?[/quote]

No..I wouldn't say it is..but then this gig isn't regular in the sense that it seemed a pleasant outing that suited both parties.
If the gig was paid and on normal terms, I don't think would be done by many bands and round here wouldn't really be acceptable.

But, as I say, it was an informal arrangement and the band might not have expected paying, the pub couldn't really moan about it.

It seems like a nice night and when all is said and done..that what most of us do it for.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1071489' date='Dec 29 2010, 09:45 AM']No..I wouldn't say it is..but then this gig isn't regular in the sense that it seemed a pleasant outing that suited both parties.
If the gig was paid and on normal terms, I don't think would be done by many bands and round here wouldn't really be acceptable.

But, as I say, it was an informal arrangement and the band might not have expected paying, the pub couldn't really moan about it.

It seems like a nice night and when all is said and done..that what most of us do it for.[/quote]

We're short on numbers, hence repeating a couple at the end - as it turned out, White Room was requested anyway. We need at least another 10.

We went through the first set in 40 mins when it was intended to be an hour - played a wee bit too fast through nerves, I suppose, and didn't leave any time at all between numbers.

However, quite promising.

G.

Apologies if my post sounded like a criticism - was certainly not the intention. I was just curious, having never seen such a thing before. I guess I was confusing a pre-planned set list with what you actually ended up playing.

Overall, it sounded like a good gig. Anyway, if the audience are asking for a repeat then why not?

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='1071429' date='Dec 29 2010, 01:40 AM']Anyway. Lots of nerves - played the first few numbers a bit too fast & didn't leave any time between songs.[/quote]

Sounds like it went well - well done. In my experience/opinion, the less time between songs the better. There's nothing worse than disorganised changing of instruments or a frontman trying to fill the awkward gap by trying to be funny. IMO flowing from one song quickly to another is more slick and professional.

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1071565' date='Dec 29 2010, 11:14 AM']Sounds like it went well - well done. In my experience/opinion, the less time between songs the better. There's nothing worse than disorganised changing of instruments or a frontman trying to fill the awkward gap by trying to be funny. IMO flowing from one song quickly to another is more slick and professional.[/quote]

Well done Geoff, sounds like a good night! I'll keep my eyes open for you playing round here.

In our band, we leave plenty of time between songs for comedy moments, the audience love (and expect) it when our singer and guitarist swap quips. It also gives our lead guitarist time to tune/swap guitars etc without the audience focusing on him. IMO its all part of a professional, slick show.

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1071523' date='Dec 29 2010, 10:26 AM']Apologies if my post sounded like a criticism - was certainly not the intention. I was just curious, having never seen such a thing before. I guess I was confusing a pre-planned set list with what you actually ended up playing.

Overall, it sounded like a good gig. Anyway, if the audience are asking for a repeat then why not?[/quote]

None taken Mate - it's just the way it happened.

G.

[quote name='Jam' post='1071596' date='Dec 29 2010, 11:44 AM']I would love to hear your rendition of Fade to Black (I presume the Metallica song?). Especially with a harp player![/quote]

The Fade to Black we do is on Mark Knopfler's 'Ragpicker's Dream' album - is it the same song as Metallica does?

It's carried mainly on bass & drums only & I use a phase on it to get a nice rolling effect. The guitarist lights up and sometimes it's even pretty good!!! :) The singer doesn't play harp in it.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

[quote name='gub' post='1071629' date='Dec 29 2010, 12:07 PM']Great stuff ,we have our first paid gig at the end of january ,so far we have just done a jam night at our local pub which holds them once a month and that seemed to go ok . good luck with yours .[/quote]

Thanks Mate & good luck with yours. Although I'm a frequent visitor to Ilfracombe, I doubt we'll ever be close enough to bump into each other - pity, it's always nice to meet other basschatters.

G.

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1071615' date='Dec 29 2010, 11:58 AM']Well done Geoff, sounds like a good night! I'll keep my eyes open for you playing round here.

In our band, we leave plenty of time between songs for comedy moments, the audience love (and expect) it when our singer and guitarist swap quips. It also gives our lead guitarist time to tune/swap guitars etc without the audience focusing on him. IMO its all part of a professional, slick show.[/quote]

I see you play around my area, Mark, so I'll try & keep an eye out for when you're nearbye & come along some night.

G.

Good on ya Geoff!! Getting out there and doing it is what it`s all about. A good trick that we employ is to play a song in the first set and if it goes down really well, is to say that someone has requested that we do it again in the second set. We get away with it as most people are well pissed by then.

Jez

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='1071776' date='Dec 29 2010, 02:32 PM']I see you play around my area, Mark, so I'll try & keep an eye out for when you're nearbye & come along some night.

G.[/quote]
Nice one Geoff, would be good to meet you, we're from Coalville, so just down the road from you.

Hope you've got a strong stomach though, the sight of five 40-somethings in spandex is not for the faint-hearted!

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1071615' date='Dec 29 2010, 11:58 AM']Well done Geoff, sounds like a good night! I'll keep my eyes open for you playing round here.

In our band, we leave plenty of time between songs for comedy moments, the audience love (and expect) it when our singer and guitarist swap quips. It also gives our lead guitarist time to tune/swap guitars etc without the audience focusing on him. IMO its all part of a professional, slick show.[/quote]

Fair enough - maybe I'm biased against midset banter because our guy is not half as funny as he thinks he is :)

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='1072032' date='Dec 29 2010, 07:23 PM']Good on ya Geoff!! Getting out there and doing it is what it`s all about. A good trick that we employ is to play a song in the first set and if it goes down really well, is to say that someone has requested that we do it again in the second set. We get away with it as most people are well pissed by then.

Jez[/quote]

Sounds like a good & reasonable ploy, Jezza, and I think we might have employed that.................. :)

By the way, I'll be up in Scotland last week Jan, 1st week Feb if you still have that VDU & go down the road for a pint?

G.

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1072121' date='Dec 29 2010, 08:35 PM']Nice one Geoff, would be good to meet you, we're from Coalville, so just down the road from you.

Hope you've got a strong stomach though, the sight of five 40-somethings in spandex is not for the faint-hearted![/quote]

I'll have a couple of medicinal brandies before taking the sunglasses off!!

:)

G.