Why become a member? ×

status or jaydee?

jonboi

[quote name='Chris2112' date='Dec 19 2010, 09:54 AM' post='1063264']
And I think here is the crux of the matter! For a start, you have boost from your preamp to create that classic tone, which is never a good thing. And even then, it doesn't sound as convincing as the old basses do. And when it comes to saying the basses are "capable of doing so much more", I find that to be such an overrated thing. When I borrowed Conan's 1986 S2, it produced one tone, essentially. On both pickups, it was fuller. With just the bridge, it was tighter and burpier. I never used the EQ, I never the passive mode. It just did what it did so well. Being able to do many things can be useful, but the core tone of that S2 was so good you could have used it anywhere. A little tweak on your amp to accomodate for a room or venue and you've got it sorted, classic and distinctive bass tone right there.

It's not that I don't like the newer Status basses, they are absolutely fantastic. But they don't strike me as "the best" like the old ones do. The older S2's, Empathys etc etc have stood up next to the best basses I've ever played as equals. And in company like Kubicki, Fodera, Wal, ACG and Alembic, thats is no mean feat. The newer ones are good but they just don't make them like they used to, and the prices are unpalatable to me when such fabulous value is available elsewhere on the new and used market.

It also strikes me now that the quality of the woods being used, particularly in the bolt on basses, has declined somewhat. I suppose good wood is more difficult than ever to source but this really is a shame as there are a few slightly dull looking Status basses around now whereas they all used to look a spectacle of fabulous woods in the 80's! I also wish they hadn't stopped using the brass hardware and it looked much better than the monorail units and was no more difficult to use.

Please do not think I am "Status bashing" or defaming some sacred cow. I know that Status Graphite rarely come under criticism and quite rightly so. They have a long history of producing fantastic basses and I've enjoyed being a Status owner myself. But they are drifting away from the market, a market in which at one time, everyone wanted a Status bass!
[/Counldnt agree more with yoyu take on modern status sounds, it a lot to the new cheaper hollow S2 neck, it killed the amazing tone, of the early S2,2000, Strata which I owned sounded incredable, but i would estimate if this bass was built today you would be talking £5000, as the man hours would be far more..

Can't say, as I'm biased, and have never played a JayDee.
My Status (A Streamline IV) is perfect for what I want it for. A relatively lightweight, compact instrument that travels well and stores easily.
I've taken it on foreign holidays, chucked in the boot of a car without a second thought, and it still comes out in tune and ready to go.
In terms of manufacturing/build quality, it's up there with my Vigier and (Japanese) Yamaha. Rob and Dawn consistently deliver on the service front, too. I had a pair of series/parallel switches fitted, which meant the pick-ups had to be custom wound. Sure, I had to pay for it, but was it a problem? No. All part of the service, and I'd say that , on the whole, the instrument is worth every penny of what I paid for it. Or if you prefer, it's better than some instruments that cost more.
I did like the S2 I tried, but couldn't get on with the Kingbass. Yes, I could play it, but had to work at it, whereas the S2 felt altogether more natural.
If I ever need a better VI than my Streamer LX, I know where I'm going!

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1065629' date='Dec 21 2010, 01:22 PM']I couldn't agree less. I had a Wal that I sold earlier in the year. It was very old, and a beautiful instrument. I had it refinished by Paul at Wal. The impression that I gained with my dealing was that the new Wal business is nothing more than a money making enterprise. There really didn't seem to be any passion about the basses. I wasn't alone with the impression either, there was another guy there when I collected my bass, he thought exactly the same thing.

£3.5k is an awful lot of money for a 'bolt on' neck design bass. There's very little of the custom element in the bass, not like Sei, Status or Jaydee.[/quote]

I have to say, this is not something I enjoyed reading but that thought was at the back of my mind when Wal came back. During the hiatus, I was thinking "Surely, someone could be making a lot of money out of these basses if they were prepared to start making them again. Whoever owns the rights could make a killing". And sadly, it seems that the "New Wal" is just a money making exercise. It is good business for them to charge what they do because people are obviously paying it (probably in small amounts).

But there is nothing in a Wal that takes a huge amount of time to make. The woodworking, even at it's most exotic, is well finished and functional rather than incredible. Not bashing what Wal basses are (I love them after all), but like I say they could make the same basses for less money and sell more as a result. The demand is certainly there to make Wal the bass of the moment again.

I was just sat playing my ACG there, marvelling at the bass. The woodworking is better than anything I've seen Wal do. The fit and finish is superior, the electronics are superb. There isn't a corner cut anywhere on the ACG, yet it cost roughly 1/3 of the price of a new Wal or thereabouts. Whereas new Wal basses start at £3200 - so I'm guessing that will get you a Mk1 4 string with a bolt on neck and some basic top wood. My ACG harlot is about as highly specced as I've seen an ACG (or a bass). The quality of the build, woods and materials are all top notch and the bass competes with heavyweights like Alembic, Fodera and Ken Smith at an affordable price point. It is every bit their equal. It's proof that you can build exceptional basses for good value, and I'm sure Alan's order book will attest to this as a good way of doing things.

With the ACG, you get a sense of Alan's passion for building and making fantastic instruments. I've not played a new Wal yet, but sadly at the moment I get the impression it's a front to get rich Wal chasers to open their wallets. I had hoped that the new era of Wal would bring back the passion that Ian and Pete brought to the brand, along with their reasonable prices. It seems this is just not the case!

Edited by Chris2112

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1070427' date='Dec 27 2010, 07:46 PM']I have to say, this is not something I enjoyed reading but that thought was at the back of my mind when Wal came back. During the hiatus, I was thinking "Surely, someone could be making a lot of money out of these basses if they were prepared to start making them again. Whoever owns the rights could make a killing". And sadly, it seems that the "New Wal" is just a money making exercise. It is good business for them to charge what they do because people are obviously paying it (probably in small amounts).

But there is nothing in a Wal that takes a huge amount of time to make. The woodworking, even at it's most exotic, is well finished and functional rather than incredible. Not bashing what Wal basses are (I love them after all), but like I say they could make the same basses for less money and sell more as a result. The demand is certainly there to make Wal the bass of the moment again.

I was just sat playing my ACG there, marvelling at the bass. The woodworking is better than anything I've seen Wal do. The fit and finish is superior, the electronics are superb. There isn't a corner cut anywhere on the ACG, yet it cost roughly 1/3 of the price of a new Wal or thereabouts. Whereas new Wal basses start at £3200 - so I'm guessing that will get you a Mk1 4 string with a bolt on neck and some basic top wood. My ACG harlot is about as highly specced as I've seen an ACG (or a bass). The quality of the build, woods and materials are all top notch and the bass competes with heavyweights like Alembic, Fodera and Ken Smith at an affordable price point. It is every bit their equal. It's proof that you can build exceptional basses for good value, and I'm sure Alan's order book will attest to this as a good way of doing things.

With the ACG, you get a sense of Alan's passion for building and making fantastic instruments. I've not played a new Wal yet, but sadly at the moment I get the impression it's a front to get rich Wal chasers to open their wallets. I had hoped that the new era of Wal would bring back the passion that Ian and Pete brought to the brand, along with their reasonable prices. It seems this is just not the case![/quote]

I got to say that you've gone the step further that I was a bit reluctant to take.

Wal's are a bit 'production line'. They make a lot of necks and a lot of bodies, this is what Paul explained to me he was hoping for anyway. A neck isn't made to fit a particular body.
They even fit cheap and nasty strings on them as standard, or they were back in June.

I have no problem with them being 'production line'. It wasn't until the prices sky rocketed that I looked at Wal as a 'boutique' company. Before that, when they could be had for reasonable prices (being sold used in good condition at the gallery for around £1200!), I just looked at them as good, honest workmen's basses. Some of my friends can even remember when Wal were considered naff, when the music scene was wanting to forget the 80's. They had been the studio darlings of that decade and worked their way into the hands of many players, to the point where I recall someone calling them "the ultimate pub bass". And from there, they were out of fashion.

Of course, for a number of reasons they're back in; not least of all people remembering that they're great basses and also that they wern't being made anymore. The fact that they're "production line" and pretty simply made should be a good thing, it should mean they can be turned out in larger numbers for lower prices without compromising on quality. That really would be the dream. Were the prices more reasonable, I'd consider collecting a couple over the years, maybe even ordering a Jonas Hellborg style double neck.

Like I say, Wal are doing nothing to make themselves superstar basses at the moment and the fact they're being sold for extremely high prices in very small quantities is a great shame and not what I had hoped for when we all dreamt of Wal returning.

Edited by Chris2112

[quote name='Rich' post='1061269' date='Dec 17 2010, 07:50 AM']As a Status player and former Jaydee owner, I'd say Status every time. Jaydees are fun but too much of a one-trick pony IME.[/quote]

Got to disagree with this, though I can see possibly why you say that, especially with the Mark King thing.

I used my Series 3 Mark King bass on a session this afternoon. It was with a great Midlands singer called Judy Duff. We did 6 songs, all kind of jazz standards, 'L.O.V.E', 'New York, New York', 'Perhaps Perhaps Perhaps', 'Summertime', 'The lady is a tramp' and 'Almost like being in love'. The Jaydee performed amazingly on all the songs. The active tone circuit is very, very versatile, as good as any other.

As ever, the only thing to do is play as many of each as you can and see what you prefer. Each have their fans and detractors (as does every other bass out there) but it's down to what fits your body and suits your ears. My various Statii have been amongst the most uncomfortable instruments I've ever played but that's because they don't suit me ergonomically; they obviously suit others fine. I have the same problem with Jazz Basses which are generally considered to be extremely comfortable. Until you play these things you'll never know whether they suit you. Someone might tell you size 9 shoes are best but if you've got size 11 feet that's not much use is it? :)

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1064906' date='Dec 20 2010, 06:50 PM']Jaydee !

I recently got my 24 year old Series 3 back from John. It's been totally refinished, and sounds and plays as good as anything else I've played, including Wal, Alembic and Status. I'm going to be ordering a new one, I want a 5 string GA24.

This is it a month or so ago, and the finished article.[/quote]

BTW, that's gorgeous. Aways wanted a Starchild JD; never got one. Now my back sadly couldn't cope unless it was made of balsa!

[quote name='4000' post='1071343' date='Dec 28 2010, 10:37 PM']BTW, that's gorgeous. Aways wanted a Starchild JD; never got one. Now my back sadly couldn't cope unless it was made of balsa![/quote]

I have to say, it's not light by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe that's where it gets its big sound from.

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1071351' date='Dec 28 2010, 10:47 PM']I have to say, it's not light by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe that's where it gets its big sound from.[/quote]

Both the Supernaturals I owned were probably over 12lbs. The first one I didn't rate but the second was great, one of the nicest basses I've had. Unfortunately my back problems had set in by then; it proved to be too heavy and it went back to the shop after a week.

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1071176' date='Dec 28 2010, 07:01 PM']Got to disagree with this, though I can see possibly why you say that, especially with the Mark King thing.[/quote]

I know that a Jaydee can be as versatile as any other bass when you start tweaking knobs and fiddling with your amp. But in essence, why should you? So a Jaydee sounds like a Jaydee? Why make it sound like a Jazz or P bass? You can still play all the same songs, just you'll get that lovely Jaydee tone coming through.

Listen to how the Jaydee tone fits into this song perfectly and sounds incredible.

I think there is too much focus on basses being versatile rather than just sounding excellent off the bat, which Jaydee basses certainly do. If you want something that sounds middle of the road, buy something middle of the road!

What was Midge thinking when he put that outfit on........... ??????

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1072027' date='Dec 29 2010, 07:20 PM']I know that a Jaydee can be as versatile as any other bass when you start tweaking knobs and fiddling with your amp. But in essence, why should you? So a Jaydee sounds like a Jaydee? Why make it sound like a Jazz or P bass? You can still play all the same songs, just you'll get that lovely Jaydee tone coming through.

Listen to how the Jaydee tone fits into this song perfectly and sounds incredible.

I think there is too much focus on basses being versatile rather than just sounding excellent off the bat, which Jaydee basses certainly do. If you want something that sounds middle of the road, buy something middle of the road![/quote]

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1072027' date='Dec 29 2010, 07:20 PM']I know that a Jaydee can be as versatile as any other bass when you start tweaking knobs and fiddling with your amp. But in essence, why should you? So a Jaydee sounds like a Jaydee? Why make it sound like a Jazz or P bass? You can still play all the same songs, just you'll get that lovely Jaydee tone coming through.

I think there is too much focus on basses being versatile rather than just sounding excellent off the bat, which Jaydee basses certainly do. If you want something that sounds middle of the road, buy something middle of the road![/quote]

That's what I was saying to a friend of mine earlier. I think it's how you 'play it', that's what's important. If you play like Mark King, then you'll sound like Mark King (tone wise anyway :)).
My friend is a great bass player, he plays with Martin Taylors 'Spirit of Django' band. He uses an old Aria semi acoustic bass for that particular gig. He 'thinks' of deep and woolly sounds, and imagines that he's playing an upright whilst playing.

There's a lot of nonsense spoken and written about particular basses being suited for certain types of music.

Add to that the fact that playing a Jaydee gives you instant cool and you're onto a winner. When you see a guy playing a P bass, you never think "This bloke has the cool". When you see someone with a Jaydee, it doesn't matter what they're playing, they'll look cool and you'll probably be thinking "This guy has some serious Mark King style chops hidden away, what a player". Instant cool and respect.

[quote name='4000' post='1072212' date='Dec 29 2010, 10:19 PM']Er, J J Burnel, Pino and James Jamerson????[/quote]

personally i would not have eighter as they have no real bass end, (the one i had never) but they are a real funky bit of kit, im would opt for the status outa the two, but for that money take a look at a bongo, blows them both away. Iv had all three. (have bongo now)

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1072095' date='Dec 29 2010, 08:14 PM']"This guy has some serious Mark King style chops hidden away, what a player". Instant cool and respect.[/quote]

In my experience, the guys that you'd expect to have all the Mark King chops (step forward Jaydee, Status fans)... haven't. (NB - I didn't say "all" Status and Jaydee fans)

It's funny how certain instruments make you expect certain things. For example, if you have a swirled Ibanez, you better be able to shred like fcuk... otherwise, you look like a right sad ****.

Coolest basses are P J MM or Ric in whichever order you like best, Everything else comes in after. People with all the nicest custom stuff still know it to be true and usually have both/all too. They might not play how you like and for me Rics dont play at all but still for cool the [i]traditionals[/i] win everytime FACT :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1072311' date='Dec 29 2010, 11:54 PM']Coolest basses are P J MM or Ric in whichever order you like best, Everything else comes in after. People with all the nicest custom stuff still know it to be true and usually have both/all too. They might not play how you like and for me Rics dont play at all but still for cool the [i]traditionals[/i] win everytime FACT :)[/quote]

No T Bird?

[quote name='greyparrot' post='1072274' date='Dec 29 2010, 11:18 PM']personally i would not have eighter as they have no real bass end, (the one i had never) but they are a real funky bit of kit, im would opt for the status outa the two, but for that money take a look at a bongo, blows them both away. Iv had all three. (have bongo now)[/quote]

Surprised you found no bottom end in the Status - not a problem I've ever had with the 18V pre and use of the knobs. My experience with Status and the Bongo is that they are both driven/dominated by the powerful pre - much more so than in say a Ray. I liked the Bongo but I couldn't say it had any personality or definitive sound of its own like a Jazz/P bass/Ray. I'd have another tho if I could justify it.

[quote name='martthebass' post='1072592' date='Dec 30 2010, 11:37 AM']Surprised you found no bottom end in the Status - not a problem I've ever had with the 18V pre and use of the knobs. My experience with Status and the Bongo is that they are both driven/dominated by the powerful pre - much more so than in say a Ray. I liked the Bongo but I couldn't say it had any personality or definitive sound of its own like a Jazz/P bass/Ray. I'd have another tho if I could justify it.[/quote]

i recently has a status 2000 (new one) 5 stringer and i sold it to outoplayjazz rich (where is he?) i just could not seem to get a rounded bass tone out of it, it always had the mid cutting through. I fing on the bongo it does the same, but i can cut those frequencys back to get a really nice rounded bass tone, but i could not on the status for some reason, and i also found that it neeed to be turned up loud to cut through. not so with bongo. Maybe its just my shells.