Why become a member? ×

Ashton amps

EBS_freak

Saw them at MusicLive. They looked good and sturdy with a nice product range, but I didnt get a chance to try them out. Their staff were very friendly and, without being deragory or sexist or anything like that, the model they had on the stand was just lovely. She had a nice smile and I would have bought the amp just for that ;o)

I borrowed one at a gig once. It was the 15" 150w combo, but missing the front grille, weighed an absolute tonne (had to lift it over cymbal stands without sticking one through the cone) and the XLR was broken. That said it sounded ok and was loud enough for the situation.

[quote name='deksawyer' post='121377' date='Jan 16 2008, 11:38 AM']I've tried the guitar amps but not the bass.

Nice and cheap, but there's really nothing else to say about them.

D.[/quote]

+1 I recently did a project at a youth club that had bought three small-mid sized guitar amps; they were pretty ugly sounding (and not in a good way) not easy to get a nice crunch out of before they hit the 'Bee-in-a-jar' stage.... and, it has to be said, completely outclassed by the Peavey Bass amp they'd got there too.

• 11 months later...

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='120706' date='Jan 15 2008, 11:53 AM']hmmmmmmm........
[url="http://www.ashtonmusic.co.uk/productView.asp?productID=374"]could be interesting[/url][/quote]

I've just stumbled across one of these on ebay as was gonna ask about them - £500 for a brand new 300W valve amp?! Where's the catch? I suspect the catch is that the components are shyte and they've been put together by 11 year old kids in a Chinese factory...

It’s almost worth a punt cos it might be amazing, but what are the chances?

I've played through noth of the ashton heads repeatedly, as my mate is a stockist in his shop.
TBH the valve amp was awful - flappy, indistinct, and generally all round rubbish.
the 400 wat SS headhowever was excellent - simple uncomplicated, clear, and loud!

before anyone says that i clearly am not a fan of valve amps, i have to say that i think i have been spoilt by an early seventies (from what i've been told) WEM dominator combo, that is absolutely wonderful, and records beautifully.

The shop I worked in stocked Ashton. I was going to say I used to sell them but that wouldn't be strictly true. I used to try to talk customers out of buying them for one reason. The brand was far and away the most featured in the returns book. The quality control really was quite atrocious. We were always sending stuff back to the distributors. TBF, they always took the claims and replaced them rather than repair them, but that tells you something too.

They didn't have any valve stuff then (this is about 4 years ago) so I can't comment on them, but I certainly wouldn't spend my hard earned on Ashton.

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='380899' date='Jan 15 2009, 12:42 AM']I've just stumbled across one of these on ebay as was gonna ask about them - £500 for a brand new 300W valve amp?! Where's the catch? I suspect the catch is that the components are shyte and they've been put together by 11 year old kids in a Chinese factory...

It’s almost worth a punt cos it might be amazing, but what are the chances?[/quote]
I beleive it's exactly the same as the Eden valve amp - assembled in the same factory with a different badge put on it??

So yes, cheap and not particularly good without mods by all accounts on TB.