Why become a member? ×

Please help identify my bass

Peds

Hi everyone, I read with interest all the help that people put forward to an earlier post like this. So I wondered if anyone could shed some light on this bass. I bought if off fleabay for £200, as a virtual beginner this was my budget and I'm the first to admit that I don't know much about them. My tutor says it plays well but he couldn't say exactly what it is.

All we can say is that someone seems to have put this together to make it 'look' like a Fender P Bass.

Thanks in advance for any light shed on this.

Peds

The headstock has been done with sufficient accuracy that the E has not got a straight pull - just like my 77 Precision was and my 85 G&L SB1 is. A real nice looking bass, just get the pickup of choice on (if needed) and save a fortune with GAS avoidance. (spelling edit)

Edited by 3below

So you're saying it's a copy 3below? Is this common that people make copies of 'popular' makes?

Thanks Happy Jack, the body is not smooth at all but very grainy to the touch!

It looks very much like yours Beno, is the addition of a serial number 'proof' that it's genuine Fender?

jeez, I've got a lot to learn lol...

Thanks to everyone who's chipped in so far though.

Peds

The Precision is the most copied bass in the world, and it's not that uncommon for people to stick genuine (or genuine looking) Fender logos on them.

Some will even go as far as buying an old neck plate or one of the fakes that turn up from time to time in order to convince others that it's the real deal, so even a serial number is no guarantee that it's a genuine Fender. Unfortunately there are enough differences yours isn't a real Fender, but it is quite an accurate copy.

As to what it really is, that's anybody's guess. It might have a bit of age to it though, judging by the tuners and flat topped knobs - most newer versions of those seem to follow a different pattern.

It looks lovely whatever it is. :)

[quote name='cocco' post='1049750' date='Dec 6 2010, 07:31 PM']Bassassin to thread![/quote]
Late to the party... :)

Can't offer anything conclusive, but it looks like a nice quality parts bass to me. I don't know Fenders well enough to say whether the neck is a good copy part, licensed, or genuine - never mind MIA, MIJ, MIM or even if it's from a Squier. However it looks decent, the decal's nicely done and the tuners are good quality with full-sized backplates, rather than the scratty tinny little things you find on most recent copies. The bridge isn't a Fender part - you never find the 2 front mounting screws on real ones. Very nice 3-part body - the grain looks like ash but I'm no wood expert - and like the rest I'd be inclined to think it's recent.

Nice bass and looks a good £200 worth to me. Needs an informed opinion from a proper Fender fan though!

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1050021' date='Dec 6 2010, 11:12 PM']The bridge isn't a Fender part - you never find the 2 front mounting screws on real ones.[/quote]

That part got me thinking as I hadn't noticed it first time around so I had a look at some of the stuff I've had.

The only bass I could see with one of those bridges was the Antoria fretless that I sold here a few months ago. It may not be one of those but a measurement of the neck width at the heel may be able to determine whether yay or nay and at least reduce the possibilities.

The neck at the heel end of the antoria was narrower than a standard Fender heel.

[url="http://img443.imageshack.us/i/dsc06647large.jpg/"][/url]

Edited by Delberthot

SX bass guitars are also mounting that kind of bridge.

In your bass guitar, frets are also quite narrow (as New Fender Precision 60s RI MIM), standart Fenders are mounting wider ones.

If the bass is able to be properly adjusted, so who cares if it is Fender or not?

Congratulations!!!

[quote name='markinson' post='1050183' date='Dec 7 2010, 08:47 AM']SX bass guitars are also mounting that kind of bridge.

In your bass guitar, frets are also quite narrow (as New Fender Precision 60s RI MIM), standart Fenders are mounting wider ones.

If the bass is able to be properly adjusted, so who cares if it is Fender or not?

Congratulations!!![/quote]

I have a few non-Fenders with the same style of bridge I think it's quite a common way of making them.

Do Fender make their P bass bodies in three sections?
My gut reaction is that the body has been stripped and given an oil finish, hence the grainy feel.
OK an image search for "Fnder Precision Natural" turns up one and three piece bodies!
Hopefuly it's active fretless jazz sister will turn up in my local charity shop.