Why become a member? ×

Slap bass

risingson

[quote]y true. However,most players don't seem to grasp the concept of playing in keys that aren't E minor. Although,in fairness,there are a lot
of finger and pick players who have the same problem.[/quote]

Get the f*** out of town?! There are [i]other keys?[/i]

I suppose it's a bit like the old joke of Slipknot basslines being written in binary.

I have slapped, where appropriate - there's certainly one RATM cover, where I did a passable turn - but I can empathise with the OP. There's a lot of [i]Saturday afternoon thumb[/i] going on, where it's more akin to fretw***ery than musicality. Every one in the shop, who didn't see your flawless technique, is pretty much convinced you dropped the bass; now can I have a go, please?

Edited by Gust0o

[quote][b]I suppose it's a bit like the old joke of Slipknot basslines being written in binary.

There's a lot of [i]Saturday afternoon thumb[/i] going on, where it's more akin to fretw***ery than musicality. Every one in the shop, who didn't see your flawless technique, is pretty much convinced you dropped the bass; now can I have a go, please?[/b][/quote]

Priceless! :)

I love slap bass. I was introduced to it with Larry Graham, Stanley Clarke, Louis Johnson, etc. in the 70s.

It's a style that sets the bass guitar apart from other instruments. However, I also hate the machine gun, slap-in-E-playing. Believe me, I've heard plenty of this in my time.

Melodic slap bass, though, is awesome. Marcus is the king with tracks such as 'Run For Cover'. Listen to Pops Popwell's playing on the Crusaders album 'Those Southern Knights' and Louis Johnson on the early Brothers Johnson albums and Michael Jackson's 'Off The Wall'. His slap break on 'Stomp' is a still an unbeatable classic, and makes the song. The slap playing on Bernard Wright's classic 'Nard' debut album is all melodic. Victor Wooten is often accused of overdoing it, but 'You Can't Hold No Groove' and 'Me And My Bass Guitar' are amazing. Flea's bassline on 'Aeroplane' is a classic melodic part.

Don't judge the overall style by the YouTube bedroom show offs. :)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1046796' date='Dec 3 2010, 08:45 PM']I love slap bass. I was introduced to it with Larry Graham, Stanley Clarke, Louis Johnson, etc. in the 70s.

It's a style that sets the bass guitar apart from other instruments. However, I also hate the machine gun, slap-in-E-playing. Believe me, I've heard plenty of this in my time.

Melodic slap bass, though, is awesome. Marcus is the king with tracks such as 'Run For Cover'. Listen to Pops Popwell's playing on the Crusaders album 'Those Southern Knights' and Louis Johnson on the early Brothers Johnson albums and Michael Jackson's 'Off The Wall'. His slap break on 'Stomp' is a still an unbeatable classic, and makes the song. The slap playing on Bernard Wright's classic 'Nard' debut album is all melodic. Victor Wooten is often accused of overdoing it, but 'You Can't Hold No Groove' and 'Me And My Bass Guitar' are amazing. Flea's bassline on 'Aeroplane' is a classic melodic part.

Don't judge the overall style by the YouTube bedroom show offs. :)[/quote]

I agree - I love really well played slap that is both groovy and melodic - w***ing away in E is easy compared with stuff like this:

It's just another technique that can be used and abused just like any other - Kai Eckhardt is also another master of melodic slap/groove stuff that sounds great and totally groovy as well:

This is particularly beautiful

Hope you enjoy... no need for more ranting! :)

Cheers

Mike

[quote name='urb' post='1046823' date='Dec 3 2010, 09:08 PM']I agree - I love really well played slap that is both groovy and melodic - w***ing away in E is easy compared with stuff like this:

It's just another technique that can be used and abused just like any other - Kai Eckhardt is also another master of melodic slap/groove stuff that sounds great and totally groovy as well:

Cheers

Mike[/quote]

Great post.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1046998' date='Dec 4 2010, 12:51 AM']The only thing worse than bad slap bass is bass players complaining about slap bass. It's not all about thumping 8th root notes on P basses but hey-ho, different vinegar strokes...[/quote]

Not quite... note that I wasn't complaining about slap bass (why bother? People are going to do it anyway), but people insisting that basses must be demo-ed in order to show their slap capabilities. Why? It's not necessary. A bit of slap, maybe, but not a whole video's worth.

[quote name='urb' post='1046823' date='Dec 3 2010, 09:08 PM']I agree - I love really well played slap that is both groovy and melodic - w***ing away in E is easy compared with stuff like this:

Cheers

Mike[/quote]

Sorry Mike, none of those clips are my thing at all, but each to their own. If I'm going to listen to slap bass I'd prefer to hear this.

Sick tone that doesn't sound like every other player with an active preamp in their bass, memorable playing, tight and very musical. On the whole the kind of slap I like to see. Maybe I just don't buy into the showboating slap technique as much as some.

[quote name='risingson' post='1047005' date='Dec 4 2010, 12:58 AM']Not quite... note that I wasn't complaining about slap bass (why bother? People are going to do it anyway), but people insisting that basses must be demo-ed in order to show their slap capabilities. Why? It's not necessary. A bit of slap, maybe, but not a whole video's worth.[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your general complaint that there is more to demo-ing a bass in a video than just slapping on it. I was referring to the wider contingent, the 8th thumping, root noting, P bass holding collective who don't accept the evolution of bass beyond being a loud, farty and indistinct noise coming from an Ampeg.

It takes all sorts, yet slap gets a particularly rough time. I think a lot of it is jealousy, as being a proficient slap player is quite a feat and it not something every can pull off.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1047026' date='Dec 4 2010, 01:33 AM']Don't get me wrong, I agree with your general complaint that there is more to demo-ing a bass in a video than just slapping on it. I was referring to the wider contingent, the 8th thumping, root noting, P bass holding collective who don't accept the evolution of bass beyond being a loud, farty and indistinct noise coming from an Ampeg.[/quote]
Boom! I like it!

I'm not really a slap player - I'm pretty awful at it, but agree with TS and yourself.

[quote name='risingson' post='1047007' date='Dec 4 2010, 01:03 AM']Sorry Mike, none of those clips are my thing at all, but each to their own. If I'm going to listen to slap bass I'd prefer to hear this.
Sick tone that doesn't sound like every other player with an active preamp in their bass, memorable playing, tight and very musical. On the whole the kind of slap I like to see. Maybe I just don't buy into the showboating slap technique as much as some.[/quote]

+1.

[quote name='risingson' post='1047007' date='Dec 4 2010, 01:03 AM']Sorry Mike, none of those clips are my thing at all, but each to their own. If I'm going to listen to slap bass I'd prefer to hear this.

Sick tone that doesn't sound like every other player with an active preamp in their bass, memorable playing, tight and very musical. On the whole the kind of slap I like to see. Maybe I just don't buy into the showboating slap technique as much as some.[/quote]

Well forgive me I could apply your second paragraph to both Marcus and Kai's playing, I agree the first clip of Kai I posted is a little obvious but FYI he played a passive 65 P bass until very recently a grooves like a mutha bitch on it - but again it's each to their own - I hardly ever slap in my band but I do it on occasion when I get a solo just to get heard! And while I love that Freddie Washington tune and his playing is wonderful - you're earlier point about slap dating songs is particularly true of this track - from 1982. I just don't think it's worth having so many "the bass can do this - but it can't do this" views - I'm not a fan of tapping really but if it's done well and it's musical then surely it's just another way of producing notes on the instrument - not some political statement? I think I agree wholeheartedly with your original point though about doing some rudimentary slap stuff just because it sounds a bit flash - when it reality it's as old as the hills and has no music in it... that I agree with 100%.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1045767' date='Dec 2 2010, 10:37 PM']I agree, I keep looking at videos that are 2 minutes of fingerstyle then 7 minutes of slapping and most people just don't play that way. Even fewer demos are done with a plectrum.[/quote]

Yep, that's true. Very few demos show slapping, and playing with fingers and with a plectrum. In fact I can't think of seeing one!

+1 A lot more musical, to my ears.

the marcus miller version of teen town was good.... but I have a record with the original on it and that just blows you away....

I have an amp I am trying to trade.... it is a brilliant but not very well known amp, i guess folk will think about a trade and look on the net for videos and reviews. there is one video....

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTzZP3AkrzQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTzZP3AkrzQ[/url]

if you can sit through that there is some finger style stuff too

Edited by LukeFRC

[quote name='urb' post='1047079' date='Dec 4 2010, 08:16 AM']Well forgive me I could apply your second paragraph to both Marcus and Kai's playing, I agree the first clip of Kai I posted is a little obvious but FYI he played a passive 65 P bass until very recently a grooves like a mutha bitch on it - but again it's each to their own - I hardly ever slap in my band but I do it on occasion when I get a solo just to get heard! And while I love that Freddie Washington tune and his playing is wonderful - you're earlier point about slap dating songs is particularly true of this track - from 1982. I just don't think it's worth having so many "the bass can do this - but it can't do this" views - I'm not a fan of tapping really but if it's done well and it's musical then surely it's just another way of producing notes on the instrument - not some political statement? I think I agree wholeheartedly with your original point though about doing some rudimentary slap stuff just because it sounds a bit flash - when it reality it's as old as the hills and has no music in it... that I agree with 100%.[/quote]

I agree with all of this, although I would say that although the Patrice Rushen track was released in 1982, it is a timeless bass line that's been sampled many a time because of it's distinctiveness in later years. Actually there are quite a few Marcus Miller tracks he played on of the same ilk. Grover Washington Jr and Luther Vandross are two fairly obvious guys that have had Marcus play with them and then been very heavily sampled. And my gripe doesn't encompass slap bass players per se, just the growing assumption that bass players are to be measured by whether or not they can do it... considering it takes up such a small fraction of what goes down on a record this gets to me.

[quote name='urb' post='1047079' date='Dec 4 2010, 08:16 AM']the first clip of Kai I posted is a little obvious but FYI he played a passive 65 P bass until very recently a grooves like a mutha bitch on it[/quote]

I'm glad he got rid of that P/J Fender bass as it just sounded dire. And when you compare to that how good his Schack basses sounded it was enough to make you weep!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1047631' date='Dec 4 2010, 06:27 PM']I'm glad he got rid of that P/J Fender bass as it just sounded dire. And when you compare to that how good his Schack basses sounded it was enough to make you weep![/quote]

The second clip I posted is Kai on his new bass which was made in Africa, I think it sounds wonderful

M

[quote name='urb' post='1047655' date='Dec 4 2010, 06:57 PM']The second clip I posted is Kai on his new bass which was made in Africa, I think it sounds wonderful

M[/quote]

Yeah, it does sound pretty good. I recall Kai posting about that on Facebook and being very excited about getting it!

• 6 months later...

Whenever I've tried slap, it's most definitely more crap than slap.

There is a really top slap player round these parts though who is an education to listen to - plays a Wal about 3cm from his chin and is so fluent in his playing you can barely believe what you are hearing. Actually come to think of it there's another from down Bude way who is pretty good as well. Maybe this is slap country :)

Me, I prefer finger funk. That isn't a euphemism btw.

ficelles

I swear there's a tread like this once a month? :)

Slap is an art to itself, very few nail it but those who do 'NAIL' it.

I love slap, I love playing slap and I love playing in a band when I can groove around a slap lick - but it does have a place. A lot of people over use it and don't understand the concept that less is more and so we get.. the London Bass Show.