Why become a member? ×

Slap bass

risingson

Gonna have to agree far to much slap in demo's. I do like to hear a good player doing it well but, as others have posted 'less is more'. I don't play slap, never got my head around it and use more fingerstyle with a bit of pick. This does not mean i don't like it i just like to hear all types of playing in equal proportion.

Also depends on what sorta music you listen too.... If you listen to a lot of Disco/Soul/funk/Acid Jazz like me, I'd say 99.9% of the players don't ever play with a pick and would also play Slap.
If you listen to Rock/Metal/Indie I would say that a high percentage play with a pick...

More slap the better I say! :)

If we're referring to instrument demos only, then I'd agree that there is way too much slap used. That's nothing against slap as a style but if that's all the person doing the demo is going to do it doesn't give you a rounded idea of what the instrument can do.

One of my favourite bass players is Andrew Levy, who can certainly lay down a groove but rarely slaps. When he does it adds a little sparkle, which is how I like it. :)