Why become a member? ×

Capo's Cap(i) ???

Les

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1041818' date='Nov 29 2010, 11:35 PM']My band use [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/G7th-PERFORMANCE-CAPO-6-STRING-GUITAR-/230538252948?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item35ad269294"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/G7th-PERFORMANCE-CAP...=item35ad269294[/url] which is about as good as it gets. Or the Kyser one is ok too[/quote]
+1 on the G7th

[quote name='Les' post='1041814' date='Nov 29 2010, 11:30 PM']Is there one thats really good ? That doesn't screw the tuning up on your guitar ?

Got a Shubb and it's ok but there are still tuning issues. Within reason not bothered how much, need to sort this if I can.[/quote]

I use a Shubb with no problems on my guitar... I'm guessing the nut on your guitar is not cut low enough - pulling the tuning sharp as you apply the capo.

To test: capo at the third fret and tap directly above the metal of the first - you should just hear a click as the string hits the fret indicating a very small gap,

Any discernable gap/clearance here will make for sharp tuning - cut slots or sand the bottom of the nut until at 'click' clearance.

I am assuming the action and Truss rod are set somewhere near...

HTH
Mick

No need to clamp the capo hard up against the fret ( creating a sharpening effect)... finger strength pressure applied backed off from the fret will work a treat.

I reckon a capo should be used like your fingers, I like to play with minimal pessure and let the fret do the work - same with a capo imho...

Sorry if this comes across as argumentative, but I just want to save the OP from buying a series of capo's and save frustration.

Edited by OldG

+1 on OldG's excellent advice above.

If you can't make a Shubb work for you, the problem is a) the guitar's set up or :) the way you're using it. Guaranteed. Sorry!

Kysers are the worst - the unadjustable grip of death.

The G7 is okay but pricey, and every time you pick it up you're starting from scratch tension-wise and you'll have to check no strings are buzzing by playing the open strings - a nightmare on stage.

The only decent affordable Shubb contender IMO is the Planet Waves Dual Action. A bit gawky but very clever - instant clamping but adjustable, like a Kyster/Shubb cross.

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Planet-Waves-Dual-Action-Guitar-Capo-PW-CP-05c~ID~14522.asp"]Linky here[/url]

[quote name='KK Jale' post='1042327' date='Nov 30 2010, 01:28 PM']+1 on OldG's excellent advice above.

If you can't make a Shubb work for you, the problem is a) the guitar's set up or :) the way you're using it. Guaranteed. Sorry!

Kysers are the worst - the unadjustable grip of death.

The G7 is okay but pricey, and every time you pick it up you're starting from scratch tension-wise and you'll have to check no strings are buzzing by playing the open strings - a nightmare on stage.

The only decent affordable Shubb contender IMO is the Planet Waves Dual Action. A bit gawky but very clever - instant clamping but adjustable, like a Kyster/Shubb cross.

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Planet-Waves-Dual-Action-Guitar-Capo-PW-CP-05c~ID~14522.asp"]Linky here[/url][/quote]
Another thumbs up for the Shubb, never had a problem in twenty years with mine. Your guitar is at fault or you are not applying the capo properly.

Actually, whoops - there is one more thing to check…..

Fingerboard radius vs. capo radius.

If you put on the capo and your guitar has a tendency to buzz on the top and bottom strings only, then the natural cure is to clamp it tighter. This could easily throw the central strings out of tune. The underlying reason could be that your capo is less curved than your fingerboard.

Or you could get the reverse: buzzes on central strings, clamp harder, bottom and top strings go out of tune… the capo could be more curved than your fingerboard.

Answer in each case would be to gently apply Birmingham screwdriver to your Shubb (after removing rubber sleeve).