Why become a member? ×

Eden Fans

Phil-osopher10

Very warm sounding amps IMO..Had a Nemesis NA 650 and now have the Metro.. Overall, I'm very happy as the feature set in both cases is excellent and the sound suits me down to the ground. The only things that the Metro doesn't really give is any kind of over-driven valve sound.

As with all these things though, best try to hear one with your own bass first if you can..

Got a WT550 and it works 'right out of the box'. The absolutely superb tone controls are almost redundant as I tend to run the amp flat, with just a merest touch from the 'enhance' control which effectively scoops the mids.

You won't get any valve overdrive sounds from it despite having a valve pre-amp, I have an FX unit for that. The build quality is very good indeed. Liz - my friendly techie - remarked on the way the components had been selected and laid out. "All amps should be built like this. It's nothing particularly unusual or exceptional in terms of amp circuit design, it's just put together properly using components up to the job. Makes a change from the weak power supplies and multiple op-amps seen in a lot of stuff I come across."

Whether this praise extends to the Eden Nemesis* range - well I have my doubts, but despite that, they still sound very good.

* Liz says it doesn't. "Chinese built to a price, and it shows in some of the circuitry components, eg the transformer. Like lots of other name manufacturers in that regard." She confirms the very good sound though.

I shouldn't really be saying this, :) as I'll have an NC-115 Nemesis combo back up for sale soon (15" + tweeter, 240 watts into 4Ω amp section) - once the transformer is sorted to stop it buzzing. :)

Being "Eden Fans" we're obviously going to say the sound is good.. :)

The aforementioned 'clean' and 'warm' sounds are accurate imo, though with the amazing eq sections on these amps you can dial in a number of aggressive mid tones, and of course, don't confuse 'warm' with 'wooly', as they are anything but!

The speakers are heavy, but the sound is really top drawer, clean punchy, articulate and deep.

I use my Metro combo (and to a lesser extent, the 2x15 cab) for funk, reggae, jazz(esque), rock and even thrash metal. Yes, it misses the gritty drive for the latters, but then it's nothing a pedal can't do.

from my gear list you can see i`m a big fan of eden ...................... all of mine are USA build.Amps are so easy to use ...................... never far away from a very usable sound!!
I don`t have to spend ages at gig faffing around for sound .........................

I bought a WTX-260 when they first came out and was seriously impressed with it to the extent that I traded up to a WTX-500 when [i][b]they [/b][/i]first came out. That one got nicked a year ago. So I bought another WTX-500.

I wouldn't necessarily describe the WTX range as "warm" ... for me, "clean" is a better description. Set completely flat, the only thing I've ever owned which colours the sound less is the pjb Bass Buddy.

Eden heads (never had one of their combos) are really very well designed. I'm a huge believer that "form follows function" and David Eden hit the nail on the head with a lot of his stuff.

BUT ... I should point out that when my WTX-500 was nicked last year, I bought an Orange Bass Terror to use as a stop-gap with a view to making it my reserve amp later. Totally different amps, absolutely chalk & cheese, but I found the OTB just suited my main band better and is now my main gigging amp. :)

Hi guys, i use a WT800 with a 4x10xlt + 2x10xlt and right now i need a good tech preferably midlands based to take a look at it asap so if anyones knows of a tech that has any knowledge/background /experience with the Eden range i would very much appreciate any pointers you make have
I started to notice a lack of power from the master volume then at the next gig it just sort of farted at me,i had the gain at 100% and the master also at 100% and myself and the gtr player were able to talk while stood right in front of it,now anyone that knows the wt800 will tell you that should not be audible possible as these amps are LOUD,the last few gigs the old trace elliot gear has had the dust blown off it which is cool but i really miss the other half K of juice i get with my Eden stack. cheers

I love the Eden sound, its similar to the early SWR sound, Warm but modern also. The only issue I had with Eden was a slight lack in volume. I used the 1000 watt Eden power amp and I felt it a little lacking, even when compared to a 500 watt amp

[quote name='travelingbassman' post='1044586' date='Dec 2 2010, 03:47 AM']Hi guys, i use a WT800 with a 4x10xlt + 2x10xlt and right now i need a good tech preferably midlands based to take a look at it asap so if anyones knows of a tech that has any knowledge/background /experience with the Eden range i would very much appreciate any pointers you make have
I started to notice a lack of power from the master volume then at the next gig it just sort of farted at me,i had the gain at 100% and the master also at 100% and myself and the gtr player were able to talk while stood right in front of it,now anyone that knows the wt800 will tell you that should not be audible possible as these amps are LOUD,the last few gigs the old trace elliot gear has had the dust blown off it which is cool but i really miss the other half K of juice i get with my Eden stack. cheers[/quote]

You're more likely to get an answer in the Repairs & Technical Issues section. There are also some very helpful "stickies" at the top of that section, including a list of recommended amp techies.

Don't forget that there's an excellent Eden Forum on their main site ( [url="http://www.eden-electronics.com/"]http://www.eden-electronics.com/[/url] ).

I got a WT400 Traveller Plus back in 1999 from the Bass Centre when it was in Wapping. At the time it was an incredibly loud amp for the size/weight - and still is very loud, just not as light as the new kids on the block. It does use a high quality toroidal transformer which contributes the weight and sound and makes it very different from my Markbass and TC amps. I used this amp exclusovely from 1999 until I went to the US in 2005 and it was always loud enough for any gig I played through two EA CXL112 cabs. It has a warm presentation but still very defined and very punchy - there is a definate lower mid/bass hump. The amp never let me down even when I was doing three gigs a week for two years - a good rack helps - just changed the pre amp tube once. I still have the amp and I will not part with it - I might just give it an outing now I've written this.

Edited by alanbass1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, looks like my Metro is going and i'm getting a new head :lol: But it's ok because the head is an Eden WT550! :) :) So i will now be able to use the 2x15 on it's own, which i've been itching to do since i got it!

Off topic here, but Rob, you can see here how much i like the Eden setup! how are you getting on with the SWR rig?