Why become a member? ×

What A Plonker

Hobbayne

On a way to a gig last night, loaded up the car and drove to our singer/rythym guitarists house where we swapped vehicles and he helped load his car with the gear from mine, and drove all the way from west London to south London to the gig.
On arrival start unloading the gear and I said to him "Wheres the bass?" "What he said, I thought you had it!"
A quick phonecall to his wife revealed my bass had slipped between the back seat and the front seat of my car, still sitting outside his house!! :)
You all know that feeling in your stomach??
Luckily, we have a keyboard/Lead guitarist who had to lend me his Gibson SG to play the bass on the lower strings while the rest of the band played.
It didnt sound too bad, with the EQ cranked fully up and a lot of compression through the bass amp (Which I did remember!) we got away with it!!
Phew!

Erm, you are not alone in arriving at the gig without your bass :)

I felt an Utter, utter, utter.....

Hmph..

Quality

That one started off an attack of the Victor Meldrew's - I don't bel.. !!!!

Mind you, a little while ago, a guitarist friend arrived at my house in a bustle looking to borrow a guitar for a gig local to me, having left his guitar at home. Solo gig too, with backing music. That would have been fun with air guitar :)

Edited by essexbasscat

:D :P :lol:

This made me chuckle on this cold and frosty morning. :D :D

Went to a gig last year, small village hall type venue, that we were going to
do a live recording at and after going on and on to the rest of the lads about
making sure that nothing was forgotten, arrived and set up the kit.

Almost all done, heading for the final fence and then started to panic when
I couldn't see my head, which I used to cart around in an orange Rotosound bag
(how rock&roll!).

After much cursing, decided I must have left it at home - 15 miles away!
Found it inside the front door. :lol:

Now, every time we load up. . . . . . "Have you remembered your amp??" :) :)

:lol:

Been to a lot of gig were it's been a medley of 4-5 bands. Each band has to bring at least one guitar amp, and we usually message the other bands saying well bring the drumkit and the bass amp.

1 time we had 5 bass amps turn up, another a week later we had 2 guitar amps with no kettle leads, am a guitar amp bead with no cab.

Worst thing I've ever forgotten was my 9v power supply for my tuner, and had no batteries. Lucky enough the guitarists pulled through with a tuner to lend me.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1040363' date='Nov 28 2010, 07:59 PM']1 time we had 5 bass amps turn up, another a week later we had 2 guitar amps with no kettle leads, am a guitar amp bead with no cab.[/quote]

I've had some classic ones before, I use a GK stack (you've seen my current, my older one was 2x 2x10s vertically stacked) and it looks very impressive so people always want to use it. The best one was at a small pub where my amp was complete overkill anyway.

Him: "Hey, is it ok if I use your amp please?"
Me: "Uh, no one asked if they could use it before the gig. Do you need to?"
Him: "Well I brought my own, but yours is better."

:) I have no problems with people using my gear, it's tough enough to take some thrashing, but that was just silly. I let him use it in the end for the benefit of the soundguy (the band before them were using my amp and we were on after so it just made sense).

Years ago , I did a weekender on the Isle Of Wight .
Night before , I laid out my speakers , amp , bags and bass .
Got picked up , drove down , ferry over , checked in , unloaded - f**k , where's my amp ?

My girlfriend at the time had come home from her gig , and left her long trench coat over my Trace . In the rush , I just well , sort of missed it .

Had to borrow one of the other bands' amps . But the second day we were on our own , and all there was to use was an old H/H MA100 PA head - truely sh*te . I never thought I'd hear Boogie cabs sound that dreadful , but I did that day .

Laugh about it now , but I wasn't popular at all that weekend . Ho Hum .

Not quite forgotten - but a few years ago I spent 3 hours trying to make a 30 minute journey due to floods to play at a wedding. Eventually gave up and went home. The sax player sang the bass parts all night - thankfully having enough lung stamina to do the whole gig. Said he had a new found respect for how constant a bass player has to be on a gig, compared to regular sax parts.

Before I got back into playing bass many years ago, I had drifted into naff DJing & Karaoking. (Its a long story & not my fault, so don't judge me :) ) Once I turned up to do a Karaoke show & due to lack of space, total darkness & rain outside I had to wait for a band to finish & clear the stage area before I could start unloading my boxes & start setting up. It was very embarrassing to discover I'd left the case containing all the karaoke CD-Gs at home - a 40min round trip away. Oh well my heart wasn't in it anyway.

We used to have a rhythm guitarist who was cr@p and we regularly used to "accidentally" leave his amp behind and make him play direct into the pa so we could simply mix him out completely. Funnily enough he quit after just a few months of gigging. :)