Why become a member? ×

Travis Bean Fretless

bassatnight

I was just re-reading Mick Karns autobiography, in it he states that his first fretless was a Travis Bean which he bought around 1979, he actually had two the first one had the serial number 002 which was stolen. These basses are pretty rare these days anyone care to hazard a guess as to their value? I reckon that serial number would be worth a fortune these days.

He only switched to a Wal as they happened to have a workshop nearby and he fell in love with them. The TB kept going out of tune due to the neck contracting with heat from stage work.

Anyone own one?

BigRedX put me straight on that one; I'd always thought most of the Japan recordings were with the Wal but he used the TB pretty much exclusively. I'd love to try one, and owners really rate them; unlike Kramers which just use a bolt-on alu neck, with TB's the entire centre body, p/ups / bridge mounting is an alu block continuous wiyth the neck.

He seems to have stayed faithful to his Tulipwood faced Wal Mk 1 thereafter though; I guess it's only a matter of time before there's a signature model.

Burke (from budgie) has a fretted one that he uses at jam nights and other places where he doesn't take take the 60s p bass he's never been seen without in budgie. I played it at a jam night once. Gorgeous bass in a strange ugly sorta way. Ridiculously heavy if I remember right though. That's coming from a T-40 player too.

Burke (from budgie) has a fretted one that he uses at jam nights and other places where he doesn't take take the 60s p bass he's never been seen without in budgie. I played it at a jam night once. Gorgeous bass in a strange ugly sorta way. Ridiculously heavy if I remember right though. That's coming from a T-40 player too.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1037172' date='Nov 25 2010, 11:56 PM']I'm not surprised the use of aluminium in this manner quickly went out of fashion.[/quote]
Why?

Actually there are still plenty of manufacturers making guitars and basses where aluminium is a major structural component.

Just have a look at the work of Tokai, Electrical, Veleno, Bastin and Obstructures to name but a handful.

Just done a bit of research, I have signed up to the TB website where one of the members there has signed up to the serial number 002 - As Mick reports this stolen in 1979 wonder what journey it has had to get to this new owner!? Perhaps I should tell Mick??

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1400070546' post='2450411']
At the risk of being pelted with rotten tomatoes, I think Mick's TB sounded better than the Wal :ph34r:
[/quote]

I'd whole-heartedly agree with this. Although the recordings were done with double tracking for the higher register parts to get the balance right.

I remember many years ago a fretless Travis Bean hanging up in my local music shop for a couple of years without anyone buying it. It was a great bass but was just waiting for that thing that would sell it.

As the Dame once sang................Fashion.

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1400070546' post='2450411']
At the risk of being pelted with rotten tomatoes, I think Mick's TB sounded better than the Wal :ph34r:
[/quote]

I concur! Bass sound on "Live at Hammersmith Odeon" with the TB is far superior to the "Oil On Canvas" with the Wal. B)