Why become a member? ×

transcription

earlyman

An enquiry...

We all learn stuff off records etc, lines, grooves, solos and all the rest, but how much do you actually notate to paper?

Once you've learned to play piece of music from a recording, remembered it, understood it's harmonies, rythms and other nuances, is there added value in actually writing it down? why is this valuable?

Love to hear your thoughts.

I don't know how your memory works, but mine is only good to a certain level - be it tab or the dots, I like to make notes of the trickier parts to help give my practice structure.

I only do so on a personal, rather amateurish basis, but I find it's useful to maintain notes - much like I would at work. So, if I'm looking at, I don't know Agile change methodologies or Systems Thinking, as much as I think I know it I'll have some key words or mantras recorded to aid recollection later.

It's pretty much the same for the bass.

There are some transcription wizards on here, who will no doubt see the exercise as a vital part of the art of music in and of itself; I'll confess to my limitations, however.

I started to notate stuff down a while back, with grandiose thoughts on compiling a file that I could dip into, but soon lost interest and gave up. I think its a good thing to be able to do, but to note down a track even roughly takes me about 3 times as long compared to just learning it. There are loads of tabs or Guitar pro files out there that make the learning of stuff even easier, getting the learning time down to 2 or 3 times though the track, so spending an hour transcribing a track just doesn't seem worth it.

It sounds like you could be another candidate for our Bass Clef YTS? :)
Go and have read to see whats already been said on that thread. Im one of the new converts but have no ambition to spend hours writing stuff down but sometimes all you need is the main riff and any tricky bits to jog the memory if its not been put in your set for ages. Even if you cant sight read it straight back if you can sit and figure it out at home using your normal methods and some dots that has got to be good IMO.

[quote name='earlyman' post='1032918' date='Nov 22 2010, 05:18 PM']Once you've learned to play piece of music from a recording, remembered it, understood it's harmonies, rythms and other nuances, is there added value in actually writing it down? why is this valuable?[/quote]

If you work as a standin bass player it can be useful, as it will often be months, or even years, between gigs with the same band - certainly enough time to forget the songs you learned for the previous occassion, particularly if you do other music work inbetween. In this case having the music transcribed saves you having to go through the whole learning process again.

Jennifer

I wasn't thinking about practicalities really. More about absorbing ideas from other player's solos and improvisation.

For example, the Dave Holland solo i've just learned. Doesn't writing it down give me a deeper understanding of it? and therefore more chance of absorbing his qualities into my playing.....

....or not. The consesus seems to be not. It's all about the listening and the doing.

I'll put my pencil down then.

I actually 'remember; stuff by visualising parts of the score. If I play it a lot, its not necessary but if I am not familiar, it serves as an aide memoir to me that is more effective than trying to remember the notes. I often learn stuff and forget it. Writing it down reduces the time necessary to relearn it.

[quote name='earlyman' post='1032918' date='Nov 22 2010, 05:18 PM']An enquiry...

We all learn stuff off records etc, lines, grooves, solos and all the rest, but how much do you actually notate to paper?

Once you've learned to play piece of music from a recording, remembered it, understood it's harmonies, rythms and other nuances, is there added value in actually writing it down? why is this valuable?

Love to hear your thoughts.[/quote]

I have a slightly different take on this so I shall be playing the role of the Devils Advocado...

I don't write things down at all.

Firstly it can stifle creative flow by constraining you to "what I always play" because that's easiest to do.

Secondly the reliance on the availability of single sheet of paper to be able to play the tune could be a potential disaster waiting to happen.

Thirdly, whilst it's fine to use notes in a recording session, the temptation to take them into a live environment is there and I hate seeing people fumbling with bits of paper on music stands whilst watching a live performance.

[quote name='earlyman' post='1033271' date='Nov 22 2010, 10:18 PM']Again, I'm not talking about remembering material for performance etc.

I'm just asking whether, in a practise/study situation, notating stuff enhances your understanding of something you've learned?[/quote]

Depends. If I'm in a practice/rehearsal I'll record the session and then transcribe the lines later before emailing them to myself. Just so I have proof that I wrote them in case of any band fallout/copyright issues :)

Here is a good example- I am doing some stuff at the moment with a singer songwriter who plays every instrument on his recordings. I go to his house once a week or every other week, Some of the parts are quite complex (for my ability anyway which is not too bad AFAIK) I could just jam them in the correct key and style no problem but Im enjoying playing them how they are on the record because its making me go in different directions around the fret board which must be good right? With a 2 minute jot down of the main parts of the song (Not a full orchestral transcription) and especially walking basslines that cover the entire 4 bars without playing the same fret twice it means I can practice at home without him being there to teach me or having to pick out the subtleties through the mix on the record. By the time any live shows are done next year the paper will be hidden away and if I have any last minute gigs with him I can whip out the dots for a quick home refresher lesson a couple of nights before to learn those tricky bits. When I have spare time I will write them up neat and keep them in a file rather than buried in the bottom of my lead bag,Honest....

[quote name='earlyman' post='1033271' date='Nov 22 2010, 10:18 PM']Again, I'm not talking about remembering material for performance etc.

I'm just asking whether, in a practise/study situation, notating stuff enhances your understanding of something you've learned?[/quote]

I think it does.
If you transcribe things I find that you are more likely to study what is being played,and why,than if you just learn it from memory.Obviously I'm
not talking about transcribing an Oasis bassline or anything (although this might be a good starting point for someone who is just learning to
write stuff out). I find that by writing it out I can get deeper inside it and pick out more of the nuances,and take ideas that often don't fall
naturally on the bass.
Even for a gig situation,if you are depping it is so much easier to write out the main lines as a reminder if you have to learn an entire gig in a day.
I also find that I tend to remember them better if I've written them out.
Plus,it's fantastic ear training.