Why become a member? ×

BFM Jack 12 build

Big Mick

Do you like my ring?

Today's delivery contains.....
....some bits I should've ordered first time round. So, that's solved the case finish dilemma! (I researched speaker paint finishes and
truck bed liner paint for hours, before coming to the conclusion that the first place I looked was the cheapest and easiest solution, doh!!)
I really fancied either dark red or purple paint, but could only get it in 5 litre tins for £45 ish, so black it will be.

I think I may have overdone it with the speaker cable!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers, Mick. :)

Edited by Big Mick

Today's installment.

Glue in throat reflectors,not the best fitting pieces but plenty of adhesive will sort that!

Tee nuts fitted to driver spacer. Just so you know, I decided to fit the nuts on the back of the spacer instead of behind the baffle because 4 of them would be
located behind the throat reflectors. I could've fitted them before the reflectors, but I didn't think that far ahead. It must also be noted that when using the KL3012HO driver, the front gasket inside diameter of 11 1/16" leaves very little room for all 4 tangs of the tee nuts, with some of them breaking out of the spacer. Not really a problem in my mind, but it may vex some of the perfectionist builders!

So, I will relieve the circled areas of the baffle with the router to clear the Tee nuts.

Although Bill's plans are pretty comprehensive with regard to cutting lists, component selection and assembly drawings, they don't provide some of the useful little tips, like what order to assemble the spacer and tee nuts in. If anyone is contemplating a build such as this, I would heartily recommend reading as many build diaries as you can to pick up these useful tips.

EDIT.(Bill has since pointed out to me that using tee nuts for the driver mounting is total overkill and there is actually no need for them here. That is why there is no mention of them in the plans!)

P.S. What happens when you leave 2 jack adaptors alone for a few days?

Edited by Big Mick

[quote name='Big Mick' post='1050046' date='Dec 6 2010, 11:25 PM']

I think I may have overdone it with the speaker cable!!!!!!!!!![/quote]
Hehehe

Not at all - I've made all my own Speakon patch cables for my bass cabs with 2 core 4mm[sup]2[/sup] cable from Canford Audio. Also got a good deal on 4 core 4mm[sup]2[/sup] when I made up some longer lengths (for subwoofers), only 'cos they didn't have any of the two-core left! Four-core can be a bugger to wire up to the plugs, though.

Nice job with the build so far, fella :)

Ian

Right, routed out clearance for the tee nuts on the driver spacer....freehand!!!

and clamped the spacer to the baffle.

Starting to take shape now, screwed and glued the throat assembly to the base panel.

NEED......MORE.....CLAMPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's Evo-Stick Serious Stuff ultimate strength adhesive, £7.95 at B+Q. Not sure it it's the same as the PU stuff that Bill uses, but it does fill the gaps and seems plenty strong enough. It says not recommended for polythethylene or polypropylene, but that it will stick anything else to anything else.

More glueage!!!!!!

phase plug attached and securely clamped.

Mouth pieces screwed and glued, the visible screws will be removed.

Somehow I managed to cut the mouth pieces a bit short, they should be proud of the corners then trimmed to be flush with the top and bottom.
I'll get round that bit when I come to it!!!!

Cheers, Mick.

[quote name='Big Mick' post='1051078' date='Dec 7 2010, 04:45 PM']Although Bill's plans are pretty comprehensive with regard to cutting lists, component selection and assembly drawings, they don't provide some of the useful little tips, like what order to assemble the spacer and tee nuts in.[/quote]That's because I recommend using screws. A 4kg driver doesn't need the strength of bolts, and screws into 24mm of material have all the holding power one could need and more.
[quote]It's Evo-Stick Serious Stuff ultimate strength adhesive, £7.95 at B+Q. Not sure it it's the same as the PU stuff that Bill uses[/quote]It doesn't appear at all the same. PL Premium expands to triple volume.

All good points Bill, for some reason I could see the driver being fitted and removed several times (probably totally unnecessary) so I've gone with tee nuts into which I will loctite studs and secure the driver with nylock nuts. Next time I will incorporate all the bit's I've learned doing this one, so far it's been good fun and I'm beginning to rediscover my woodworking skills, I'm much happier working metal.

Just stumbled on this thread from Bill's forum, fascinating stuff, all that folded horn, bass reflex, voice of the theatre stuff. Did'nt realise you could actually get the bottom end you wanted with a home build. Looks great, complicated, but superb.

[quote name='Oldman' post='1057100' date='Dec 13 2010, 11:46 AM']Just stumbled on this thread from Bill's forum, fascinating stuff, all that folded horn, bass reflex, voice of the theatre stuff. Did'nt realise you could actually get the bottom end you wanted with a home build. Looks great, complicated, but superb.[/quote]

As far as woodworking goes, this isn't complicated, but as I've discovered by not exactly following the plans, Bill really does know what he's talking about and his way IS the easiest way!
Also, Bill uses PL construction adhesive, this isn't readily available in the UK and I ended up using some of this.

[url="http://www.bostik.co.uk/diy/product/evo-stik/Serious-Stuff/22"]http://www.bostik.co.uk/diy/product/evo-st...erious-Stuff/22[/url]

It's more like tile adhesive than wood glue and does a good job of filling gaps.
If you don't already have a table saw with a good fence, then make a saw sled, I didn't and it makes things more awkward. But I will not be put off by these minor distractions and I will make a good job of finishing this cab.

Edited by Big Mick

[quote name='Oldman' post='1057100' date='Dec 13 2010, 11:46 AM']Just stumbled on this thread from Bill's forum, fascinating stuff, all that folded horn, bass reflex, voice of the theatre stuff. Did'nt realise you could actually get the bottom end you wanted with a home build. Looks great, complicated, but superb.[/quote]
Get your hands on the BFM Omni15 Tallboy currently for sale on this very forum and then you'll know what Clarity and Bottom End's really about! :)

Apologies for hijacking an excellent looking build BTW!

Edited by Pentode

I used Joiners Mate PU adhesive on all my builds. Slightly different to the US stuff, but triples in size and hard as a rock.

[url="http://www.screwfix.com/prods/44485/Sealants-Adhesives/Adhesives/Wood-Glues/Polyurethane-Adhesive/Joiners-Mate-Adhesive-500ml#"]Joiners Mate[/url]

Used this glue on a fEarful, [url="http://www.everbuild.co.uk/products/9,Adhesives/11,Wood-Adhesives/2"]Everbuild 5 Minute Polyurethane Wood Adhesive Liquid[/url], it worked very well, very strong, not too messy, gap filling (not that it was needed of course) and allowed for a glue and clamp setup. It is set solid in 30mins. Would recommend it for a quick set glue.

Hurrahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!! the back panel bracing is now fitted.

and if I had enough clamps, it would've been done much sooner!

Never one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I managed to blag some offcuts of carpet underlay from a carpet fitter frind of mine!

Assembly almost complete, well ready for testing anyway!
Firstly I discovered that there is enough clearance for relieving of the back panel lagging not to be required.

I had just enough underlay to line the cab, only just enough!

And here's the back panel fitted for the first time.

Jobs left to do. Move the handle mounting bolts as they are too close together!

Round over the corners some more, so they fit the corner pieces.
Level up the feet, as the base isn't quite flat!
Paint the outside with speaker cab paint, so it looks pretty.
Test it under power, when I receive the jack to speakon cable that I neglected to purchase earlier.
Make and fit the front grille.

Oh, and it weighs 16.2kg (35.7lb) as it is now!

Edited by Big Mick