Why become a member? ×

GOD.... I LOVE JAZZ

Bilbo

Tutor gave a cd to me "Itroducing Kristin Korb with Ray Brown Trio"..

Well, that's mainly standards, but they contain lots of interesting ideas in terms of arrangement..

Now I typed Kristin's name on Tube, and what do we have..

That girl plays some bass and sings!!

Looks like she's doing no worse than Mrs. Spalding.. or maybe even better..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1018902' date='Nov 10 2010, 03:46 PM']That is a good cd but look for a Wynton Kelly cd called Blues On Purpose. It was recorded around the same time as the Smokin' lp and is really strong. PC does a 10 chorus solo (12-bar blues) that just lifts and lifts and has the audience really whippedu up and he takes it further that any other solo I have heard him play (and I have heard hundreds and hundreds)[/quote]
Having managed to access a copy of the Blues on Purpose CD (thanks Rob) I have to say the comment above is absolutely correct. Wow.

Eh up...! Just thought I'd make a random contribution to this thread - just doing that thing that I do so rarely (but am making more of an effort to do it more often) and going back to an album that's been sitting my collection for ages - and rediscovering its awesomeness - I give you:

[b]Pat Metheny / Brad Mehldau Quartet[/b]

Have a listen to a track [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMFHPe6g260"]here[/url] - it's full of beautiful tunes... I like that sh*t you know :)

Just got 'back' from watching Mr Oscar Peterson's trio killin' it on Mezzo (Jazz Icons).. The whole stuff was so musical, it's just crazy..

Peterson was joined by amazing flugelhornist/trumpetist Clark Terry at one point, who sang his ass off with some 'scatty' blues at the very end of the show.. Badass..

here's a little preview of the whole thing:

Edited by Faithless

Nice work indeed... although it does rather confirm my theory that jazz lyrics usually conform to one of three subject areas:

1) Dead jazz guys.
2) DJs who played jazz.
3) The superiority of vinyl over CDs

:-)

Jennifer

[quote name='Faithless' post='1019048' date='Nov 10 2010, 05:24 PM']Tutor gave a cd to me "Itroducing Kristin Korb with Ray Brown Trio"..

[/quote]

that's a good place to start, a really great record that one.

I often recco
Mingus - Blues and Roots
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

and some anthology or collection of
Ellington, Armstrong, Coltrane , Parker.

lately I am listening to some Chris Potter, because I quite like the drummer

[quote name='foal30' post='1068496' date='Dec 24 2010, 08:36 AM']that's a good place to start, a really great record that one.

I often recco
Mingus - Blues and Roots
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

and some anthology or collection of
Ellington, Armstrong, Coltrane , Parker.

lately I am listening to some Chris Potter, because I quite like the drummer[/quote]

With Louis Armstrong im trying to sort through the ballads, which on spotify seesm to be 70% of his catalogue. I really like Basin Blues though and how unique Louis voice is. I will have to also look more into those listed above, especially Mingus.

I have to admit that I have heard some very interesting snippets of Louis Armstrong over the years and firmly acknowledge his contribution to the world of jazz and to the role of the soloist. Nevertheless, I don't own a single Armstrong recording and won't be buying one anytime soon. Like I say about many of the 'great' bass players, they may be great players but I just don't really like the music they play. Like Sinatra, I acknowledge the artistry but don't really like the product.

The Kristin Kolb track is very good for demonstrating how jazz improvisation works. You can hear her sing the Whirly Bird theme in the first chorus. Then she goes into improvised choruses. You can still hear the underlying chord sequence (as you should). The tune is a Neil Hefti composition and is off The Atomic Mr Basie LP/CD. Kristin's improvisation is straight off Eddie Lockjaw Davis's tenor solo for the most part but is no less noteworthy for that. Her vocalising is a lot better than most as well - I don't really enjoy vocalese much.

If you haven't heart TAMB you should, even if you're not a jazz fan. The tenor solos are some of the most robust you'll ever hear, even in rock!

Edited by bassace

[quote name='bassace' post='1068598' date='Dec 24 2010, 10:45 AM']If you haven't heart TAMB you should, even if you're not a jazz fan. The tenor solos are some of the most robust you'll ever hear, even in rock![/quote]

It is indeed an incredible album, every aspect of it is at its peak. So good that I gave a loan of it to somebody, and they never gave it back. If only I could remember who that somebody was...

Jennifer

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1068596' date='Dec 24 2010, 10:44 AM']Like Sinatra, I acknowledge the artistry but don't really like the product.[/quote]

I can relate to this in general, although I do like Sinatra :-) The attention to detail in all aspects of these old recordings is often stunning, certainly when compared to contemporary popular music. And it is a valid comparison - these guys played the popular music of their day. It just goes to show that things don't necessary become more sophisticated with the passing of time.

Partly because of this, I find that I can sometimes enjoy playing music I wouldn't necessarilly choose to listen to. Not sure you would agree with this though Bilbo!

Jennifer

I can play something I wouldn't ordinarily like for a very short period but can't do it often. One tune I don't like is one thing, one evening playing music I don't like is possible but, much more and I get frustrated and end up in a space that is not condusive to good music making. The caveat to that is that I like a wide range of music and, if it is done well, can enjoy most stuff. I regret to say, however, that a lot of music performed in the region I work in is not performed particularly well and playing music I don't like badly is not a good place for me to be and it is that which I seek to avoid where I can.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1068596' date='Dec 24 2010, 10:44 AM']I have to admit that I have heard some very interesting snippets of Louis Armstrong over the years and firmly acknowledge his contribution to the world of jazz and to the role of the soloist. Nevertheless, I don't own a single Armstrong recording and won't be buying one anytime soon. Like I say about many of the 'great' bass players, they may be great players but I just don't really like the music they play. Like Sinatra, I acknowledge the artistry but don't really like the product.[/quote]

Unfortunately i feel the same about Jaco Pastorius. I find his music very dull and distracting on the ears although i do really like the Jaco Pastorius Big Band Word of Mouth album

• 2 weeks later...

Shameless plug for an old friend

This month I downloaded the Osian Roberts/Steve Fishwick CD 'With Cedar Walton'. I knew Osian in Cardiff when he was about 14/15 and he was great then (he played at my wedding) but he has gone on to become a great UK based tenor saxophonist. I think he won some sort of Daily Telegraph Young Jazz Musician award but can't be sure (it doesn't matter anyway). This Cd was recorded with Walton and Peter Washington (bass) and has a great 50s hard bop feel to it. Great writing and great playing. Check it out if you get a chance.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1068619' date='Dec 24 2010, 11:04 AM']I regret to say, however, that a lot of music performed in the region I work in is not performed particularly well and playing music I don't like badly is not a good place for me to be and it is that which I seek to avoid where I can.[/quote]

Hi Bilbo,

When you say "the region I work in", are you speaking geographically or musically?

Just curious!

E

[quote name='Earbrass' post='1079955' date='Jan 6 2011, 03:10 PM']Hi Bilbo,

When you say "the region I work in", are you speaking geographically or musically?

Just curious!

E[/quote]

Geographically. Suffolk/East Anglia has almost no 'local' jazz scene to speak of (there are visiting acts but they are often the same old same old). The jazz gigs people around here do tend to be more standards/function band orientated. There are players here but not many (barely any) gigs that allow for anything 'radical'. There are early indications of a change but only time will tell if it changes for the better.

I got some great jazz over the Christmas period, and I can heartily recommend them to anyone who cares to listen:

Phronesis - Green Delay
Ivo Neame - Caught In The Light Of Day
Don Li - Trigon
Mike Kuesen - Blau

Jasper Hoiby, the bassist in Phronesis and with Neame, is a phenomenal upright bassist and well worth checking out :)

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1080015' date='Jan 6 2011, 04:00 PM']I love checking out this thread occasionally for the music posted. Still raving over that Pat Methany stuff pasted on page 16. Loving it!

Truckstop[/quote]

Cool man - if you like the Metheny stuff then a natural successor to him were EST - sadly the pianist Esbjorn Sevensson tragically died in 2008 - but one of my fave albums from them is [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seven-Days-Falling-Esbjorn-Svensson/dp/B0000APYOC"]Seven Days of Falling[/url] - this song is particularly awesome - check the distorto bass solo towards the end:

A truly amazing band live - the drummer is releasing a new album later this year too

M