Why become a member? ×

Newbie - Entry level bass, down to 2...

markuk42

Hi Everyone, new to the forum, although being reading for around 12 months !!

Finally taking the plunge and purchasing a bass. After many reviews etc.. i've decided to go for a Washburn T14 or Ibanez GSR200. There seems to be around £50 difference in price although its not a major issue.

Is anyone able to tell me is there much of a difference between the 2? I'm a real novice so will be learning from scratch.

Any advice is much appreciated !

Thanks, Mark.

Hi Mark. I haven`t owned any of those 2 but have owned loads of Ibanez`s and they are quality basses that are excellent value for money. Nice slim neck and comftorable to play. Never owned a Washburn but I would imagine that it will be okay as there doesn`t seem to be any real dogs about nowerdays.

Someone who knows what they are talking about will come along in a moment.........

Jez

[quote name='markuk42' post='1029845' date='Nov 19 2010, 08:06 PM']Finally taking the plunge and purchasing a bass. After many reviews etc.. i've decided to go for a Washburn T14 or Ibanez GSR200. There seems to be around £50 difference in price although its not a major issue.
Is anyone able to tell me is there much of a difference between the 2? I'm a real novice so will be learning from scratch.[/quote]

Washburn have been around for years but have never really bought anything out that "set the world afire" so to speak, whilst the GSR neck profile is pretty much renowned as being one of, if not the, fastest and sleekest available on a production bass.

If it was me, I'd go for the Ibanez - I've owned one (although not one of these) for a few years now and wouldn't be without it.
The necks are nice and slim, they're well made, the electrics are (usually) pretty good and they make good all round instruments.
The setup straight out of the factory is probably amongst the best I've seen - minor tweaks purely because I'm such a picky b*st*rd. :).

The only real negative point is that not everyone feels at home with the neck profile though, so you really need to go try one and see how you feel about it.

[quote name='markuk42' post='1029845' date='Nov 19 2010, 08:06 PM']Hi Everyone, new to the forum, although being reading for around 12 months !!

Finally taking the plunge and purchasing a bass. After many reviews etc.. i've decided to go for a Washburn T14 or Ibanez GSR200. There seems to be around £50 difference in price although its not a major issue.

Is anyone able to tell me is there much of a difference between the 2? I'm a real novice so will be learning from scratch.

Any advice is much appreciated !

Thanks, Mark.[/quote]
Go to the shops and test them both or get someone off here maybe to assist you.ANYONE LOCAL???????.dont plump for the Ibanez without directly comparing them in hand.....Washburn have brought out some great guitars..... take the HB35S not rated on issue now has a great following and starting to command good money too...

I love Ibbys and have several.....but you need to be happy with it ...whichever you finally choose

Good Luck

I agree with both the issues raised that 1) Ibanez are great for the money (my friend runs my local music shop & he swears by them) and 2) try them both back to back ideally with a friend.

I'd also echo jezzaboy's sentiments that you have to be pretty unlucky to walk away with a dog these days.

I actually tried both of these back to back, when helping Mrs A's son to decide what he wanted.

The Washburn was OK as it happens, reasonably well made, quite comfortable and sounded OK for the price.

The Ibanez was by far the best of the two though. The overall fit and finish was better, the electrics were superior and the neck was really rather nice.

I also tried one of the GSR180's at the same time. To play, it was exactly the sames as the 200, although the sound did seem to lack any real depth - Saying that, my son used a 180 for over a year and was perfectly happy with it.

Then there is the Yamaha RBX270 - excellent electrics - I found the sound much better that the Ibanez, but not as nice to play.

I know that the above probably won't help much, and the mention of two other models might have muddied the water a bit, but these were my experiences. At the end of the day - you really should get out and try the ones you are particularly interested in, because only you will know what is right for you.

If I had to choose one of the two that you mention - it would have to be the ibanez - purely due to the playability of it - I always believe that the one thing most likely to put people of playing, is an instrument that doesn't feel "right" in their hands.
Tone/sound can always be changed - but the feel/fit of the thing can't.

Hope some of that helps you in your quest.

Really appreciate the comments guys, and i know to make a good decision i should really try both of them at a shop, im probably swaying towards the GSR200, although there is Vintage V990 active bass on ebay which is very local to me which looks nice and will be probably half the price ??! so many choices !!

End of the day all im looking for is something to learn - im hoping one day i can slap to a basic standard as i'm a huge Level 42 fan.

Im set on my amp - i've heard the Marshall 15w MB bass amp and it sounds very good.

Great forum by the way...

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='1029858' date='Nov 19 2010, 08:15 PM']Hi Mark. I haven`t owned any of those 2 but have owned loads of Ibanez`s and they are quality basses that are excellent value for money. Nice slim neck and comftorable to play. Never owned a Washburn but I would imagine that it will be okay as there doesn`t seem to be any real dogs about nowerdays.

[b]Someone who knows what they are talking about will come along in a moment.........[/b]

Jez[/quote]
Hi there! I'm on the wrong thread it seems! :)

I'm a beginner myself...

Used to play a Washburn, like 10/12 years ago now - I loved that bass! (can't remember which model it was, but heh).

I've just bought a second-hand Ibanez (EDB600) and am very happy with it. I'd heard good things about Ibby bases on these forums and elsewhere, which helped to sway my decision - plus, it just sounded brilliant in the shop, which ultimately nailed it.

So for what it's worth, consider this a 'thumbs up' for Ibanez from one newbie to another! :-)