Why become a member? ×

Re-fin help!

WarPig

Hi all! I was asked by my guitarist to re-spray his strat, and because im always up to try new tech things i said yes.

Well ive hit a problem, this is what ive done so far:

*Stripped down all the electronics, hardware, neck removed etc.

*With 100 then 200 i took the top layer of gloss of the body.

*Wiped down with white spirit to remove any dust and grease.

*Used a spray on primer, gave it a 5 layers, which came out really even.

*Sanded the primer with 1200 grit wet and dry to remove any specs of dirt.

*Sprayed about 6 coats of White gloss paint, following all instructions etc, came out well with only one run mark.

*Left 24 hours for it to dry.

Now this is where my problem is, i bought some spray on clear coat to give it a high gloss smooth finish, well after applying the first coat, the paint started to crack and swell up. The paint even scraped off down to the primer when i poked at it, so i think i hasnt stuck to the primer enough. Ive stopped for now. But im not too sure whats happened.

Any guesses?

Edited by WarPig

Hi, just a guess, but if i paint anything with gloss i leave it at least 3/4 min days to dry especially if you have a few coats. You might have had moisture trapped under the clear coat? The only thing to do is re sand and re spray then leave it for a week to dry. then try a small test patch for the clear poly? finish.

[quote name='WarPig' post='117147' date='Jan 9 2008, 04:56 PM']Hi all! I was asked by my guitarist to re-spray his strat, and because im always up to try new tech things i said yes.

Well ive hit a problem, this is what ive done so far:

*Stripped down all the electronics, hardware, neck removed etc.

*With 100 then 200 i took the top layer of gloss of the body.

*Wiped down with white spirit to remove any dust and grease.

*Used a spray on primer, gave it a 5 layers, which came out really even.

*Sanded the primer with 1200 grit wet and dry to remove any specs of dirt.

*Sprayed about 6 coats of White gloss paint, following all instructions etc, came out well with only one run mark.

*Left 24 hours for it to dry.

Now this is where my problem is, i bought some spray on clear coat to give it a high gloss smooth finish, well after applying the first coat, the paint started to crack and swell up. The paint even scraped off down to the primer when i poked at it, so i think i hasnt stuck to the primer enough. Ive stopped for now. But im not too sure whats happened.

Any guesses?[/quote]

+1 on leaving too short a time between coats. They have to harden off and the primer / finish / clearcoat all have to be compatable.

Personally, I'd leave a gloss finish a couple of weeks to a month before going anywhere near it. Then I'd polish it to a high gloss with a very fine cutting compound before applying a clear coat.

Hamster

+1 to above but if you are just doing a solid colour it doesnt matter that its polished before you spry the lacquer, it just needs to be perfectly flat (smooth) in fact it you leave it with the wet and dried surface you maybe surprised who well it looks.

Make sure the clear was compatible with teh base colour your using too as they can act as a slovent it you get the wrong one.

Agree with the above. You need to leave 24 hours between coats and then when finished you are talking weeks for paint to harden sufficiently at normal temperature (assuming you're not using a commercial oven). A good quality acrylic clear coat can be applied after you've cut back the dried paint layer but very lightly for the first few coats allowing to dry properly between each.

Once the clear coat is hardened (another couple of weeks ) you can then cut it back, leave for another week (as the layer underneath the one you've just cut is then soft) then you can polish.

To do it properly takes me six weeks or so. I might be overly cautious but I generally get good results. If you're doing this outside or in a garage then the current weather ain't gonna help either.

[quote name='Muppet' post='117489' date='Jan 9 2008, 10:29 PM']Agree with the above. You need to leave 24 hours between coats and then when finished you are talking weeks for paint to harden sufficiently at normal temperature (assuming you're not using a commercial oven). A good quality acrylic clear coat can be applied after you've cut back the dried paint layer but very lightly for the first few coats allowing to dry properly between each.

Once the clear coat is hardened (another couple of weeks ) you can then cut it back, leave for another week (as the layer underneath the one you've just cut is then soft) then you can polish.

To do it properly takes me six weeks or so. I might be overly cautious but I generally get good results. If you're doing this outside or in a garage then the current weather ain't gonna help either.[/quote]

Cheers guys.

Its my first time doing this, so i expected a few mess ups. Im spraying in a warm ventilated room indoors, pretty much dustfree.

Ill take into account everything you've said and start again tomorrow.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='170643' date='Apr 6 2008, 12:18 PM']how much buffing did you do between coats?[/quote]

i went over the primer with either 1200 or 1000 wetted. then the final coat again with the same grit.