Why become a member? ×

G n R - You could be mine

Guest MoJo

[quote name='jonthebass' post='1023909' date='Nov 14 2010, 08:30 PM']Especially when added with his already 'clanky' sound.
I think Dood has investigated/experimented with getting the Duff tone...[/quote]

Ahhh indeed! Although I can cheat a bit as I have a Jazz Bass Special too. Drop the Bass down to Eb with twangy roundwound strings - Rotosound Swing Bass being the string of choice in this case. As for the effect, yup Chris' reply is correct. I also read in an interview Duff saying that he used a flanger, but in a rather tongue in cheek reply, he'd said that the settings were secret. I think that if you have a chorus or flanger that has a 'delay' control on it too (which delays the effect part of the signal for anything up to about 100ms on some units) then this will start to add the necessary character as you increase the delay - but don't go too far, or you'll sound like you're playing in a tiled toilet!!

I use a TC Electronic G Major 2 - but have also used a G force, in stereo which really adds a nice spatiousness to the bass sound. Other tracks on the same double album, such as Coma, Civil War and defintely Right Nxt Door To Hell show off the more subtle chorusing effect - but I'm definitely leaning toward that full range flange sound (as opposed to using a hi-band flanger, which will sound less squishy!)

[quote name='chriswilliams666' post='1024119' date='Nov 14 2010, 11:13 PM']Duff used a Yamaha SPX-90ii in that era for his chorus. But before that a Ibanez CS-9 and a Boss CE-2B. Try any of those![/quote]

[quote name='dood' post='1024170' date='Nov 15 2010, 12:16 AM']Ahhh indeed! Although I can cheat a bit as I have a Jazz Bass Special too. Drop the Bass down to Eb with twangy roundwound strings - Rotosound Swing Bass being the string of choice in this case. As for the effect, yup Chris' reply is correct. I also read in an interview Duff saying that he used a flanger, but in a rather tongue in cheek reply, he'd said that the settings were secret. I think that if you have a chorus or flanger that has a 'delay' control on it too (which delays the effect part of the signal for anything up to about 100ms on some units) then this will start to add the necessary character as you increase the delay - but don't go too far, or you'll sound like you're playing in a tiled toilet!![/quote]

That's some good info, cheers dude (I'm doing some work pretending to be Duff in a G'n'R tribute soon, so quite timely!) - on a strict 'as-little-as-I-can-get-away-with' budget, then, what'd be the most authentic chorus to pick up? Shall shortly have a Precision and Hartke aluminium-coned cab(s), so hopefully that'll get me in the ballpark...

[quote name='Ian Savage' post='1024177' date='Nov 15 2010, 12:25 AM']That's some good info, cheers dude (I'm doing some work pretending to be Duff in a G'n'R tribute soon, so quite timely!) - on a strict 'as-little-as-I-can-get-away-with' budget, then, what'd be the most authentic chorus to pick up? Shall shortly have a Precision and Hartke aluminium-coned cab(s), so hopefully that'll get me in the ballpark...[/quote]

I guess you could try those in Chris' earlier post or indeed TRR's - but if you can get to a guitar shop, see if you can try out one or two different types. Hmmmm.. do line 6 have a chorus/flanger pedal in one box? Or is my memory failing me?

[quote name='dood' post='1027214' date='Nov 17 2010, 07:22 PM']I guess you could try those in Chris' earlier post or indeed TRR's - but if you can get to a guitar shop, see if you can try out one or two different types. Hmmmm.. do line 6 have a chorus/flanger pedal in one box? Or is my memory failing me?[/quote]

The MM4 must do, although I'm too lazy to check.

Edit:- It does indeed.

Edited by GarethFlatlands

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' post='1027223' date='Nov 17 2010, 07:27 PM']The MM4 must do, although I'm too lazy to check.

Edit:- It does indeed.[/quote]

Awww thanks chap! I hadn't got that far yet! heh heh - Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='dood' post='1027214' date='Nov 17 2010, 07:22 PM']I guess you could try those in Chris' earlier post or indeed TRR's - but if you can get to a guitar shop, see if you can try out one or two different types. Hmmmm.. do line 6 have a chorus/flanger pedal in one box? Or is my memory failing me?[/quote]

Cheers man, hadn't clocked that you'd replied, sorry! Did exactly what you suggested and ended up with a Boss CEB-3 which does the job nicely...