Why become a member? ×

Up for scorn and ridicule!

steverickwood

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLvTVrHVbKU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLvTVrHVbKU[/url]

Hopefully this link will work - apols for the unfinished mix, but here is my bass orchestra recording of The Cantina Theme from Star Wars.
It uses 13 Basses: 4's, 5's, fretted/less, upright and uses various effects (I think the synth one is pretty close to the one on the original recording) and techniques including two-handed tapping, tapped harmonics etc utilised to try and replicate those on the recording.

I had to transcribe each instrument from the original in order to decide how to orchestrate on my basses.

So feel free to slate me or see it as I do as a piece of bass fun - your thoughts and critisisms are invaluable to me (provided they are constructive!!)

Best

Steve R

(if link fails, go to youtube and type in Steve Rickwood and you will find it there amongst some other stuff I probably didn't want posted by other people!)

[quote name='Rich' post='1014127' date='Nov 6 2010, 11:56 AM']Yup, I like :) how delightfully silly.[/quote]
Haha!! Easily the best comment I am ever going to receive 'delightfully silly' I think is going to be my new phrase!
Speaking of which, my friend Dan who plays drums for this is a wonderfully flexible and creative drummer who nailed my entire album in a day - but for this I just said 'Play it like Vic and Bob would like...'

I think the little drum break at the end is pretty apt.

Haha - Jennifer please dedicate it to me;) Are you the Jennifer who bought a Rush anthology from me?

And your comment about this track is accurate - once I transcribed it I had to learn to play the damn thing and it has its quirks, notably the kind of harmonised clarinet line after the second B section. In fact, I think I have forgotten how to play it since!

[quote name='steverickwood' post='1014133' date='Nov 6 2010, 12:02 PM']Haha!! Easily the best comment I am ever going to receive 'delightfully silly' I think is going to be my new phrase!
Speaking of which, my friend Dan who plays drums for this is a wonderfully flexible and creative drummer who nailed my entire album in a day - but for this I just said 'Play it like Vic and Bob would like...'

I think the little drum break at the end is pretty apt.[/quote]
Love the drummers work!!
as well as yours, Brill stuff

[quote name='steverickwood' post='1014241' date='Nov 6 2010, 01:28 PM']Haha - Jennifer please dedicate it to me;) Are you the Jennifer who bought a Rush anthology from me?[/quote]

I am indeed :-)

[quote]And your comment about this track is accurate - once I transcribed it I had to learn to play the damn thing and it has its quirks, notably the kind of harmonised clarinet line after the second B section. In fact, I think I have forgotten how to play it since![/quote]

The B section always raises eyebrows amongst clarinet or flute players... I think I have a recording where it sounds like a bass clarient playing it, you can actually hear the valves flailing about and the player really making an effort to keep the melody up to speed! Great stuff.

I have found that this song really divides musicians - they either think it is amazing, or completely daft. The truth is, of course, that it is both of these things.

Jennifer

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='1014557' date='Nov 6 2010, 05:50 PM']Sweet, that's my kind of crazy. Any chance of the transcrition? I'd love to arrange it for a 4-piece rock band.[/quote]

You know what - I can't even find MY transcription!! I am however planning to orchestrate it for a 4-piece bass orchestra for some of my uni students in 2011, if I ever get round to it, I'll send you a sibelius file?

[quote name='steverickwood' post='1014571' date='Nov 6 2010, 05:58 PM']You know what - I can't even find MY transcription!! I am however planning to orchestrate it for a 4-piece bass orchestra for some of my uni students in 2011, if I ever get round to it, I'll send you a sibelius file?[/quote]

Sweet, cheers.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1014569' date='Nov 6 2010, 05:57 PM']Mister Rickwood - you are a very, very silly man. :)

Jon.[/quote]

I have my moments. Theres some guy on youtube doing this on a chapman stick - thats pretty cool. I once thought about doing the same but have neither the time or patience to tune a stick, let alone play the naffing thing! Quite like orchestrating basses though:)

Hows things way up there?

[quote name='endorka' post='1014311' date='Nov 6 2010, 02:40 PM']I am indeed :-)

The B section always raises eyebrows amongst clarinet or flute players... I think I have a recording where it sounds like a bass clarient playing it, you can actually hear the valves flailing about and the player really making an effort to keep the melody up to speed! Great stuff.

I have found that this song really divides musicians - they either think it is amazing, or completely daft. The truth is, of course, that it is both of these things.

Jennifer[/quote]

Absolutely - and of course a great arrangment makes a huge difference. I always loved the old school film scores.
Was that book of use? Wasn't it YYZ you were to perform?

[quote name='steverickwood' post='1014551' date='Nov 6 2010, 05:43 PM']Fair play! I see you got a Mick Karn pic - bad to hear his state of affairs at present hey?[/quote]

Yes, very sad. Mick's playing got me into fretless bass, and I'm still trying to the hang of those weird, eastern sounding lines he comes up with.

By the way, that's some nice stuff on your YouTube channel, nice bass tone on 'Silent Scream'.

Cheers,
Rob

[quote name='steverickwood' post='1014121' date='Nov 6 2010, 11:51 AM'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLvTVrHVbKU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLvTVrHVbKU[/url]

Hopefully this link will work - apols for the unfinished mix, but here is my bass orchestra recording of The Cantina Theme from Star Wars.
It uses 13 Basses: 4's, 5's, fretted/less, upright and uses various effects (I think the synth one is pretty close to the one on the original recording) and techniques including two-handed tapping, tapped harmonics etc utilised to try and replicate those on the recording.

I had to transcribe each instrument from the original in order to decide how to orchestrate on my basses.

So feel free to slate me or see it as I do as a piece of bass fun - your thoughts and critisisms are invaluable to me (provided they are constructive!!)

Best

Steve R

(if link fails, go to youtube and type in Steve Rickwood and you will find it there amongst some other stuff I probably didn't want posted by other people!)[/quote]

Love it - I'm gonna share your vid on my Facebook page!

[quote name='DarkHorse' post='1014590' date='Nov 6 2010, 06:18 PM']Yes, very sad. Mick's playing got me into fretless bass, and I'm still trying to the hang of those weird, eastern sounding lines he comes up with.

By the way, that's some nice stuff on your YouTube channel, nice bass tone on 'Silent Scream'.

Cheers,
Rob[/quote]

Thank you Rob thats very kind. The articulation on one verse bugs me on that tune!! I used a Fender Geddy Lee via Boss gt6b (compression I think). Did all my parts in one day after a 'dry' spell where I couldn't come up with parts that were interesting without being too 'muso'.
The trouble is I did every last part of those recordings: I am not a singer, or a guitarist etc but some things are so personal yu just have to!

I have an album of Micks called 'Bestial Cluster' - always thought he had a great sound and wonderful ideas on that. Around that era there were so many stereotypical players on fretless or slap style that people like him and les claypool were immediately interesting just because they went a bit outside the box.

[quote name='steverickwood' post='1014596' date='Nov 6 2010, 06:25 PM']Thank you Rob thats very kind. The articulation on one verse bugs me on that tune!! I used a Fender Geddy Lee via Boss gt6b (compression I think). Did all my parts in one day after a 'dry' spell where I couldn't come up with parts that were interesting without being too 'muso'.
The trouble is I did every last part of those recordings: I am not a singer, or a guitarist etc but some things are so personal yu just have to![/quote]

Kudos. It's nice to hear some songs rather than the usual "look fast I can move my fingers" stuff that people put on YouTube all the time.

[quote name='steverickwood' post='1014596' date='Nov 6 2010, 06:25 PM']I have an album of Micks called 'Bestial Cluster' - always thought he had a great sound and wonderful ideas on that. Around that era there were so many stereotypical players on fretless or slap style that people like him and les claypool were immediately interesting just because they went a bit outside the box.[/quote]

"Bestial Cluster" is cool, "Dreams of Reason Produce Monsters" is worth a listen too.