Why become a member? ×

Another should I leave my band thread?

waynepunkdude

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1049040' date='Dec 6 2010, 09:29 AM']Kind of started a new band on Saturday, formed on Saturday morning had a gig Saturday night.

[url="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mexican-Wave/166491390053200"]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mexican-Wave/166491390053200[/url][/quote]

Wow! Thats a quick turn around!

Best of luck. Musicians like that aren't worth the time, certainly not worth stressing over it. You've taken control of the situation and it looks like its already paying off!

Dan

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1049040' date='Dec 6 2010, 09:29 AM']Kind of started a new band on Saturday, formed on Saturday morning had a gig Saturday night.

[url="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mexican-Wave/166491390053200"]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mexican-Wave/166491390053200[/url][/quote]
There are no flies on you boys then! :)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1049638' date='Dec 6 2010, 05:36 PM']It may well be.[/quote]

My guitarist bought one to a rehearsal a while ago. We all pointed and laughed, until he started playing.
They sound really nice!
Shame he hasn't used it since and relies on his crappy and knackered Peavey 65...

[quote name='bartelby' post='1049643' date='Dec 6 2010, 05:39 PM']My guitarist bought one to a rehearsal a while ago. We all pointed and laughed, until he started playing.
They sound really nice!
Shame he hasn't used it since and relies on his crappy and knackered Peavey 65...[/quote]

It did sound nice, I am used to playing with Marshall JCM2000's hence the huge Ampeg head, it was nice to just blend rather than fight for once.

Good for you. :)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1049647' date='Dec 6 2010, 05:44 PM']It did sound nice, I am used to playing with Marshall JCM2000's hence the huge Ampeg head, it was nice to just blend rather than fight for once.[/quote]

I am currently quite happy as the one guitarist we have uses the new Orange Thunder 30, so I only have that and a 4x12 of some kind to be mindful of with volume.

Yes, 30 watts in guitar valve wattage is VERY loud through a 4x12, but the tube distortion is much smoother, organic and warm compared to the hi-gain Marshalls and Peavey amps Im used to. Plus he uses a lot of clean compared to what Im used to...again its a nice change!

I dont battle with volume at all now, in fact a few times Ive been asked to turn down!

Got a review

"
I know what you're thinking - that bloke in the picture doesn't look much like either of The Plan's vocalists, Tom Crabb or Andrew Keech. That's because neither of them were actually present, for some reason or another. So rather than bail altogether, bassist Wayne Tully and drummer Ben Gower hastily recruited Captain Bastard and the Scallywags' resident mandolin player Jordan Harris (pictured) as makeshift frontman, renamed themselves Mexican Wave (6.5/10), and proceeded to belt out a set of various Nirvana and Green Day covers with varying degrees of success. Of course, mistakes and technical sloppiness in these circumstances are about as inevitable as the sun rising in the morning and politicians lying to save face, so we wound up hearing the same verse to 'Longview' repeated 3 times (in fact, most bands have a problem with that song - Dr Goon brutally buttf***ed it, and even The Submission struggled with the lyrics), and 'When I Come Around' clunked badly at times, but all things considered, the group actually did pretty well. Wayne's slick bass playing and Ben's driving beats formed a strong backbone when they fire together, just as they do on a regular basis with The Plan, while Harris brought an energetic delivery and barked vocals to the party. The Nirvana covers in particular went down very well, and as they ended on another Green Day cover, the criminally underrated 'Burnout', there was a sense that the trio might have stumbled on a combination that has potential to work if it's actually formed into a proper band. It'll be interesting to see if they decide to progress with the idea."

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1052329' date='Dec 9 2010, 02:13 AM']Got a review

"
I know what you're thinking - that bloke in the picture doesn't look much like either of The Plan's vocalists, Tom Crabb or Andrew Keech. That's because neither of them were actually present, for some reason or another. So rather than bail altogether, bassist Wayne Tully and drummer Ben Gower hastily recruited Captain Bastard and the Scallywags' resident mandolin player Jordan Harris (pictured) as makeshift frontman, renamed themselves Mexican Wave (6.5/10), and proceeded to belt out a set of various Nirvana and Green Day covers with varying degrees of success. Of course, mistakes and technical sloppiness in these circumstances are about as inevitable as the sun rising in the morning and politicians lying to save face, so we wound up hearing the same verse to 'Longview' repeated 3 times (in fact, most bands have a problem with that song - Dr Goon brutally buttf***ed it, and even The Submission struggled with the lyrics), and 'When I Come Around' clunked badly at times, but all things considered, the group actually did pretty well. Wayne's slick bass playing and Ben's driving beats formed a strong backbone when they fire together, just as they do on a regular basis with The Plan, while Harris brought an energetic delivery and barked vocals to the party. The Nirvana covers in particular went down very well, and as they ended on another Green Day cover, the criminally underrated 'Burnout', there was a sense that the trio might have stumbled on a combination that has potential to work if it's actually formed into a proper band. It'll be interesting to see if they decide to progress with the idea."[/quote]

I say roll with it and form a 'full on' band with them :)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1052329' date='Dec 9 2010, 02:13 AM'][size=1]Got a review
"I know what you're thinking - that bloke in the picture doesn't look much like either of The Plan's vocalists, Tom Crabb or Andrew Keech. That's because neither of them were actually present, for some reason or another. So rather than bail altogether, bassist Wayne Tully and drummer Ben Gower hastily recruited Captain Bastard and the Scallywags' resident mandolin player Jordan Harris (pictured) as makeshift frontman, renamed themselves Mexican Wave (6.5/10), and proceeded to belt out a set of various Nirvana and Green Day covers with varying degrees of success. Of course, mistakes and technical sloppiness in these circumstances are about as inevitable as the sun rising in the morning and politicians lying to save face, so we wound up hearing the same verse to 'Longview' repeated 3 times (in fact, most bands have a problem with that song - Dr Goon brutally buttf***ed it, and even The Submission struggled with the lyrics), and 'When I Come Around' clunked badly at times, but all things considered, the group actually did pretty well. [size=5]Wayne's slick bass playing [/size]and Ben's driving beats formed a strong backbone when they fire together, just as they do on a regular basis with The Plan, while Harris brought an energetic delivery and barked vocals to the party. The Nirvana covers in particular went down very well, and as they ended on another Green Day cover, the criminally underrated 'Burnout', there was a sense that the trio might have stumbled on a combination that has potential to work if it's actually formed into a proper band. It'll be interesting to see if they decide to progress with the idea."[/size][/quote]

Edited for skim readers. Nice work, Sir.

Edited by skankdelvar