Why become a member? ×

Impressioned ear plugs advice!

shiekaa

It's got to the stage where I am looking to get some ear plugs impressioned as I no longer wish to use the better value (£20-£40) range due to the lack of clarity and comfort they provide.

Looking for some good reccomendations on companies that do impressioned ear plugs;

I've been having a look at ACS and ultimate ear but really need peoples first hand views on what they are like as there aren't any refunds on plugs!

Also unsure about what is actually best for bassists, most plugs seem to be good for bassists frequency-wise, but reccomendations would be great!

I'm willing to spend about £200 as long as they will last me a decent amount of time e.g. 2 years+?

Any advice is welcome and appreciated

:)

Thanks!

[quote name='chris_b' post='999167' date='Oct 24 2010, 07:22 PM']Look at the pinned Ear Plug thread.... then go and buy some ACS ER15's.[/quote]

Agreed, or if you play in a particularly loud band, you might consider going for a higher attenuation ER25's. I actually have two sets of filters for my plugs, one of each value depending on the gig. ACS are resellers for ER plugs as are many other outlets. The plugs themselves and the filters are made by a company called Etymotic Research (Hence the ER in the name) - You can check out their own website for more details. ACS will just arrange taking a mould of your ear and deal with sending them off, taking payment and arranging delivery of you finished product.

I highly recommend these plugs - they are brilliant and worth every penny. When you first get them, they might 'sound' a little strange, but your brain will soon get used to them and you'll wonder why you didn't get them sooner!

[quote name='shiekaa' post='998982' date='Oct 24 2010, 04:24 PM']It's got to the stage where I am looking to get some ear plugs impressioned as I no longer wish to use the better value (£20-£40) range due to the lack of clarity and comfort they provide.[/quote]

Just wondering, what ones specifically is it that you use?

[quote name='dood' post='999319' date='Oct 24 2010, 08:30 PM']Agreed, or if you play in a particularly loud band, you might consider going for a higher attenuation ER25's. I actually have two sets of filters for my plugs, one of each value depending on the gig. ACS are resellers for ER plugs as are many other outlets. The plugs themselves and the filters are made by a company called Etymotic Research (Hence the ER in the name) - You can check out their own website for more details. ACS will just arrange taking a mould of your ear and deal with sending them off, taking payment and arranging delivery of you finished product.

I highly recommend these plugs - they are brilliant and worth every penny. When you first get them, they might 'sound' a little strange, but your brain will soon get used to them and you'll wonder why you didn't get them sooner![/quote]

+100

Had mine for about 4 years now so you should get good use from them- best £180 I've ever spent.

I've just replaced my ER15s with the new HF17s. These sit deeper in your ear and cut out even more than the ERs. Hearing balance still good frequency wise. Also their occlusion properties are better so you're not hearing your own breathing so loudly. These are going to be a better choice if you sing as well. They are cheaper too at £139. I'll be trying them out tonight with my tenor saxophone in a very loud band - so I'll report back again later.....

[quote name='acidbass' post='1001141' date='Oct 26 2010, 02:15 PM']A friend of mine is working on a set of IEM buds at the moment - his company is called Minerva Hearing Protection, you should check them out as their prices are very competitive and they offer the same specs as ACS and Ultimate.[/quote]

Only problem is getting the impression/mold done! I got the ACS ones through Specsavers, mainly because they were local and easy to access; if there were alternatives that were as easy to access then I may have used them.

I went for the ER15's in the end and they are more than good enough for filtering all but the silliest loud bands... no in fact they will do even the loudest because I believe that at the kind of volumes where these plugs aren't effective then everyone else without earplugs will be in pain and potentially deaf! :)

[quote name='lapolpora' post='1001151' date='Oct 26 2010, 02:23 PM']I've just replaced my ER15s with the new HF17s. These sit deeper in your ear and cut out even more than the ERs. Hearing balance still good frequency wise. Also their occlusion properties are better so you're not hearing your own breathing so loudly. These are going to be a better choice if you sing as well. They are cheaper too at £139. I'll be trying them out tonight with my tenor saxophone in a very loud band - so I'll report back again later.....[/quote]
Got back from rehearsal and I have to say that I'm preferring the ACS HF17s over the ER15s. Much more comfortable to play in (blasting my guts out on a saxophone). They are much more effective at noise exclusion than the ER15s and ER25s (yes I have them both!), and relieve most of the back pressure in my ear when blowing hard. I don't think the ERs will get much use from now on. Just my experience mind. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the ERs normally, but the HFs do work much better so definitely look into them.

Edited by lapolpora