Why become a member? ×

New Purchase - Whaddya All Think?

merello

Well? Does it have the X-Factor? Bought today off Gumtree. Thanks to 7String who gave it a quick once over and clean up then refused any money (yaldy! I'm from Paisley - but I'll get him to set it up soon!)

Sorry the pics are not the best but I'm itching to get plucking.

[quote name='RhysP' post='998375' date='Oct 23 2010, 07:10 PM']Very nice. ESPs are superb quality instruments.
If I was looking for a Jazz bass I'd be as happy as a pig in sh*t with that.[/quote]
Much appreciated mate - a wee bit of tidying up work required but that can get done soon.

It's not a Surveyor. It is, however, a 400 Series Jazz bass, probably one of the finest Jazz basses you're ever going to lay your hands on. Well done, that's a serious instrument you've got there.

Doesn't look like the original scratchplate though, it doesn't follow the shape of the body around the lower horn. Still, that's a major score, they're seriously top quality basses.

Edited by Doctor J

Yep, congrats, you have a great great bass and pretty rare as it has the European headstock. Doctor J is also correct in saying its a 400 Series Jazz. I have one also and I think 3 others here do. They were made at the same factory as Jap Fenders and based on the 62 Fender. They were considered better than Fenders which personally I think they are. Its the nicest bass I own. I am currently having a fretless neck made for it by Shuker (did not want to defret the original) which I should get back soon.

If you ever decide to sell then give me a shout as I may take it of your hands.

[quote name='Schnozzalee' post='999401' date='Oct 24 2010, 09:19 PM']Defretted that would be high on my wish list. Brilliant with frets as well though! ESP are vastly underrated.[/quote]

When I get it, I'll post some sound clips. Did you hear the clips I posted of it fretted?

[quote name='Linus27' post='999392' date='Oct 24 2010, 09:13 PM']Yep, congrats, you have a great great bass and pretty rare as it has the European headstock. Doctor J is also correct in saying its a 400 Series Jazz. I have one also and I think 3 others here do. They were made at the same factory as Jap Fenders and based on the 62 Fender. They were considered better than Fenders which personally I think they are. Its the nicest bass I own. I am currently having a fretless neck made for it by Shuker (did not want to defret the original) which I should get back soon.

If you ever decide to sell then give me a shout as I may take it of your hands.[/quote]
What are they worth? :) (I'm a Scot!)

[quote name='merello' post='999634' date='Oct 25 2010, 05:41 AM']What are they worth? :) (I'm a Scot!)[/quote]

Very difficult to say because despite being a cracking bass and quite rare, they are more of a unknown and only worth something to the owner rather than of any value. I would never sell mine as it has sentimental value and is the best Jazz bass I have owned but its worth more to me than what I could sell it for. You could say £600 but I think you would struggle to get that because you could get a Jap Fender 62RI for £300 - £400 and a MIA Jazz for £600. So maybe £300 is nearer the correct mark but to be honest I really do not know.

[quote name='Linus27' post='999682' date='Oct 25 2010, 09:06 AM']Very difficult to say because despite being a cracking bass and quite rare, they are more of a unknown and only worth something to the owner rather than of any value. I would never sell mine as it has sentimental value and is the best Jazz bass I have owned but its worth more to me than what I could sell it for. You could say £600 but I think you would struggle to get that because you could get a Jap Fender 62RI for £300 - £400 and a MIA Jazz for £600. So maybe £300 is nearer the correct mark but to be honest I really do not know.[/quote]
Cheers mate - I'm going to get 7string on to it soon and keep it until my next GAS attack! Liking the look of it!

[quote name='merello' post='999906' date='Oct 25 2010, 12:27 PM']Cheers mate - I'm going to get 7string on to it soon and keep it until my next GAS attack! Liking the look of it![/quote]

Ok, like I say, if you do decide to part with me, then give me a shout.

[quote name='Linus27' post='999682' date='Oct 25 2010, 09:06 AM']Very difficult to say because despite being a cracking bass and quite rare, they are more of a unknown and only worth something to the owner rather than of any value. I would never sell mine as it has sentimental value and is the best Jazz bass I have owned but its worth more to me than what I could sell it for. You could say £600 but I think you would struggle to get that because you could get a Jap Fender 62RI for £300 - £400 and a MIA Jazz for £600. So maybe [b]£3,750 [/b]is nearer the correct mark but to be honest I really do not know.[/quote]
Wow! OK! :)

[quote name='Doctor J' post='999260' date='Oct 24 2010, 08:10 PM']It's not a Surveyor. It is, however, a 400 Series Jazz bass, probably one of the finest Jazz basses you're ever going to lay your hands on. Well done, that's a serious instrument you've got there.

Doesn't look like the original scratchplate though, it doesn't follow the shape of the body around the lower horn. Still, that's a major score, they're seriously top quality basses.[/quote]
Sorry mate - you're right - it's not a Surveyor....had the name on the insane membrane!

• 3 weeks later...