Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Steely Dan

Jam

Plenty!
Anything off of 'Royal Scam' is great ('Don't Take Me Alive', 'Caves of Altamira' etc) and I personally love the first two albums ('Can't Buy A Thrill' & 'Countdown To Ecstacy'). 'Aja', 'Katy Lied' and 'Pretzel Logic' albums are very good too. I was never a big fan of their 'Gaucho' album or the more recent stuff...

[quote name='Jam' post='996944' date='Oct 22 2010, 12:36 PM']I've not really listened to much Steely Dan but this song just blows me away. Does anyone have any tab for it (yes yes I can't read sheets yet..)?

Any similar songs anyone can recommend?[/quote]
Everything else! :)

[quote name='Jam' post='996944' date='Oct 22 2010, 12:36 PM']I've not really listened to much Steely Dan but this song just blows me away. Does anyone have any tab for it (yes yes I can't read sheets yet..)?

Any similar songs anyone can recommend?[/quote]
FYI, if you have an iTunes account there's a compilation of all of their classic albums called Citizen Steely Dan 1972-1980 for a ridiculously low price (less than £20 for six or seven albums IIRC)

[quote name='Clarky' post='996993' date='Oct 22 2010, 01:13 PM']FYI, if you have an iTunes account there's a compilation of all of their classic albums called Citizen Steely Dan 1972-1980 for a ridiculously low price (less than £20 for six or seven albums IIRC)[/quote]

I'm going through that album now on spotify, thanks for the recommendation :)

Their whole catalogue is sensational to my ears.
Filled with vocal gems, clever lyrics, great tongue in cheek humour, wry observation, not to mention stonking grooves by some of the best players on earth over the last forty odd years.
Glittering harmonies, achingly beautiful song form structures and harmonic progressions....
I could go on all day.
Bathe in everything they've done, it can only infect you with goodness :)

Intelligent and accessible at once, not often bedfellows in modern music.

MODS, Somebody block my account will you, I am going to keep on and on and on and etc

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='risingson' post='997077' date='Oct 22 2010, 02:22 PM']They're the ultimate muso band. To be honest I don't care much, Chuck Rainey is one of my favourite bass players of all time.[/quote]

The band that finally weaned me off Frank Zappa....!

[quote name='jakesbass' post='997065' date='Oct 22 2010, 02:13 PM']Their whole catalogue is sensational to my ears.
Filled with vocal gems, clever lyrics, great tongue in cheek humour, wry observation, not to mention stonking grooves by some of the best players on earth over the last forty odd years.
Glittering harmonies, achingly beautiful song form structures and harmonic progressions....
I could go on all day.
Bathe in everything they've done, it can only infect you with goodness :lol:

Intelligent and accessible at once, not often bedfellows in modern music.

MODS, Somebody block my account will you, I am going to keep on and on and on and etc[/quote]

Well said! :)

The reason I started listening to them was through the super furry animals where they sampled just one line from showbiz kids and created a new song. (the man don't give a f***)
I like how every studio I've been in the producers/engineers are always big steely dan fans. one studio even had a painting of them on the wall.

[quote name='cetera' post='996985' date='Oct 22 2010, 01:07 PM']Plenty!
Anything off of 'Royal Scam' is great ('Don't Take Me Alive', 'Caves of Altamira' etc) and I personally love the first two albums ('Can't Buy A Thrill' & 'Countdown To Ecstacy'). 'Aja', 'Katy Lied' and 'Pretzel Logic' albums are very good too. I was never a big fan of their 'Gaucho' album or the more recent stuff...[/quote]Two Against Nature is superb.

There are some great stories about the Steely Dan recordings, especially the bass playing. When interviewed, Chuck Rainey complains of Donald Fagen taking credit for Rainey's bass parts, in order to impress a lady friend. The story of Rainey slapping the 'Peg' chorus with his back turned is legendary, as Becker and Fagen were totally against the then-overused slap bass style. Anthony Jackson asked to re-record entire parts, even though they were perfect. Listen to his playing on 'Glamour Profession'.

To me, the best bass line is 'Kid Charlemagne', arguably Chuck Rainey's (he would probably agree) finest moment.

Fagen's 'Nightfly' album contains probably the finest examples of the perfect bass parts for the song, and features the world's finest players.

Saying that, I reckon Tom Barney's line on 'Gaslighting Abbie' is still one of the best and most challenging lines you will ever hear.

Edited by Pete Academy

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='997457' date='Oct 22 2010, 07:34 PM']Seriously, we've done 'Don't Take me Alive' since day one and it's stayed in the set for 13 years. For me it's the Larry Carlton guitar intro that's most memorable.

I'd love to see another Steely Dan album with him on guitar. He was a massive part of their sound.[/quote]
+1

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='997458' date='Oct 22 2010, 07:35 PM']Everytime I see the name 'Steely Dan' I have the song 'Stuck in the Middle With You' in my head then I realise that's 'Stealers Wheel'[/quote]
[quote name='Pete Academy' post='997463' date='Oct 22 2010, 07:42 PM']And Steeleye Span.[/quote]
I'll very likely be playing 'Stuck in the Middle With You' at my gig tonight and will think of that Steely-eyed Wheelspan Dan when I do! :lol: :)