Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Considering assembling my own custom P/J from parts

Twigman

As the title says I am considering assembling my own custom bass from parts.
I want to use NEW parts.
I need a P-Bass body and a J-Bass rose/ebony neck to get what I want.
It'll use vintage hardware and be painted Foam green with a tort plate.... :)

Can you recommend the best UK supplier to source a NEW body and neck from?

Cheers

[quote name='clauster' post='994610' date='Oct 20 2010, 11:47 AM']If it's a definite keeper, I'd go for Warmoth - pricey but top quality.[/quote]
[size=7][b]VERY [/b][/size]pricey - it's a piece of piss to spend a grand at Warmoth for a neck and body.

I think Mighty Mite are perfectly good and much cheaper.

I would spend the money on the neck. As long as the body was a decent piece of well shaped and correctly sized wood, I wouldn't care about expensive timber.

Edited by silddx

Having great fun configuring bodies/necks on the Warmoth website...and changed my mind about the colour....

stack everything in my cart and the end result is shocking $$$$ wise........

I wonder if I could sneak all this through on the company credit card?

[quote name='Twigman' post='994496' date='Oct 20 2010, 09:56 AM']I'll not ever be selling it.[/quote]

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :)

This is Basschat anonymous, where gear junkies come to get their fix and find [u][b]the one[/b][/u] (for that week)

Sorry but I did that a few times before I realised that I'll never be satisfied with what I have so just buy and sell stuff when I want a change

Warmoth stuff is amazing - I built 2 basses from Warmoth parts, basses that I'd never sell :lol:

Exactly, they're long gone :)

[quote name='Delberthot' post='994852' date='Oct 20 2010, 02:23 PM']Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :)

This is Basschat anonymous, where gear junkies come to get their fix and find [u][b]the one[/b][/u] (for that week)

Sorry but I did that a few times before I realised that I'll never be satisfied with what I have so just buy and sell stuff when I want a change

Warmoth stuff is amazing - I built 2 basses from Warmoth parts, basses that I'd never sell :lol:

Exactly, they're long gone :)[/quote]

No

I know I'll never sell it - I've had my current JV P for 27years - I know how to not sell basses.

[quote name='Twigman' post='994884' date='Oct 20 2010, 02:51 PM']No

I know I'll never sell it - I've had my current JV P for 27years - I know how to not sell basses.[/quote]

I was going to say, Iv'e had my bass for 22years and I just got a jazz that'll keep it company for the next 22..........
some ofus know to keep them once we get the right one :)

[quote name='Twigman' post='994884' date='Oct 20 2010, 02:51 PM']No

I know I'll never sell it - I've had my current JV P for 27years - I know how to not sell basses.[/quote]

I was going to say, Iv'e had my bass for 22years and I just got a jazz that'll keep it company for the next 22..........
some ofus know to keep them once we get the right one :)

I did one using a Mighty mite Jazz neck that cost me £38 off ebay, and an unknown Precision copy body, scratch plate and a few other bits and pieces came from USA via ebay.

Well chuffed with the neck and the sound, if you can wait for stuff to come up you can do it well cheapo.

Just as an example...http://shop.ebay.co.uk/bluebass320/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

Edited by Slipperydick

specced it up on Warmoth

Charger Green P-J with Rosewood neck w stainless frets , SeymourDuncan p neck and J bridge, black pearl plate and chrome hardware.........$1016.50 + shipping + duty + VAT + long lead time.......

OUCH!!

Edited by Twigman

[quote name='Twigman' post='995039' date='Oct 20 2010, 04:37 PM']specced it up on Warmoth

Charger Green P-J with Rosewood neck w stainless frets , SeymourDuncan p neck and J bridge, black pearl plate and chrome hardware.........$1016.50 + shipping + duty + VAT + long lead time.......

OUCH!![/quote]

If it's what you want...

[quote name='Twigman' post='995051' date='Oct 20 2010, 04:43 PM']try telling that to the Mrs[/quote]

Sorry, getting so caught up in my own life of seemingly endless solitude and deprivation that i forgot about such issues :)

Obviously your other option is to get stuff off allparts, or ebay? Or i dunno, is there a credit option or something?

Edited by EdwardHimself

Allparts are just as dear and won't do the finish i want.....

I'm getting divorced anyway so this'll just be more ammunition for her.....

I think I'll wait a little and do it. I just got to summon up the courage......so i get a Warmoth Precision Special in unique colours for the price of a MIM Deluxe Special with boring factory colours....and the satisfaction of designing and assembling myself

mmmm decisions decisions

Edited by Twigman