Why become a member? ×

Terry Uttley - Smokie Bassist

Bidd

This is a long shot, but does anyone know Terry Uttley, the bass player from Smokie?

The singer in my band has been given an old Antoria P bass, who in turn has offered it to me (as he doesn't play bass). He has been informed by the friend or relative who gave him the bass that it was once owned by the bassist of the band Smokie. It would be cool if this could be verified - he might even like it back himself.

IIRC, the bass is a P Bass copy, black with white scratchplate.

Edited by Bidd

It's still an Antoria, even if Noel Redding owned it.

Based on my experience of Antoria's, there are generally much better instruments to play out there (unless it's practically given away).

Unless you've been looking for a bass owned by the player from Smokie .......

Mind you, according to another thread around here, other people have had good experiences with Antorias. Perhaps I only found the duffers.

T

Edited by essexbasscat

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='981514' date='Oct 8 2010, 12:58 PM']It's still an Antoria, even if Noel Redding owned it.

Based on my experience of Antoria's, there are generally much better instruments to play out there (unless it's practically given away).

T[/quote]

The singer in my band got it for free, and he's now offering it to me for nothing. Its just that I would like to know if what he's been told is true. If I did ever play on it, it would just be noodling around at home, or maybe as a backup to a backup bass.

[quote name='Bidd' post='981504' date='Oct 8 2010, 12:49 PM']does anyone know Terry Uttley[/quote]
Smokie's management company could pass on a message. Contact details here: [url="http://www.now-music.com/about.htm"]http://www.now-music.com/about.htm[/url]

Currently touring Oz. Imagine the fun when they get to Alice Springs.

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='981514' date='Oct 8 2010, 12:58 PM']It's still an Antoria, even if Noel Redding owned it.

Mind you, according to another thread around here, other people have had good experiences with Antorias. Perhaps I only found the duffers.

T[/quote]
I had a 71 / 72 Antoria Jazz that was quite well made & good fun. It's from the same factory that's now Fender Japan so I am sure Essexbasscat has just been a bit unlucky. Give them a good clean up, proper set up etc and they are usually good to go. Cheap as chips too

I had an Antoria "EB3" & I use the term loosely. Fairly well made for a 70's copy. I wouldn't complain for a freebie. Smokie do a lot of nostalgia tours in the UK as part of a 70's package, so might be worth popping along to ask him.

[i]A mate of mine found an ex-Dave Hill of Slade Hiwatt on ebay, bought it & Dave was more than happy to sign a provenance for it when he recognised it.[/i]

Actually, Tery Uttley is a pretty good player & a brilliant singer!

He was in a band for a while with a couple of very well known players who are as good as it gets in rock terms - unfortunately they didn't get the record deal they wanted so never made it beyond the rehearsal studio...........

Edited by peteb