Why become a member? ×

How to: Aging a knob

73Jazz

I recently bought a late 60`s P Bass, but only the knobs are replaced, so are too shiny for that monster

has someone fo you an idea how to age those tone and volume knobs, so that they are matching the rest of the beauty?

Are there e.g. some fluids on which the metal reacts and it will darken? did someone this before and has some experience to share?
would really apprecciate this. thanks in advance

If you want them relic'ed, i've heard circuit board Etching Fluid is the one...

WEARING GLOVES, AND A MASK, in a well ventilated area!!! Wipe a cloth with the fluid on, and then wipe it off with another cloth.

Repeat as desired...a guy i knew who turned reissues into relics tol me this, i have never done it myself.

Maplin do it i think.

Or...

Wet and dry paper, just to take the shine off, and yeh, pocket and keys.

I copied this from a web page a while ago, never tried it but

Hardware Aging

Here's a great way to do the hardware:

Get a thick plastic container, at least 12" x 12" inches square with a flat plastic lid.
Drill small holes in the lid, spaced a couple inches apart.
Get a bottle of Muratic acid. This is sold at all home depot/home base, supply type stores.
Get a nice respirator with good vapor filters and a place with lot's of ventilation cos' it stinks!
Pour 1 or 2 inches of muratic acid [think this is hydrochloric acid]in the bottom of the container and cover with the lid.
Arrange the hardware on top of the lid, without any parts touching, screws touching are OK.
Cover entire bucket tightly with black plastic trash bag.
Leave overnight for aging and check in the morning to see how things are progressing.

You can pull a part out and wipe off to see how the aging is going. Make sure you use nice rubber gloves. Leave in longer if more aging is desired.

When the parts are done, pull them out and rinse off with soapy water. Make sure you oil any moving parts, like the bridge pieces,screws and tuners otherwise they might freeze up.

Hi.

Bought a set of pickup- and bridge covers for my old P-bass a while ago. Wanted them to look older to match the look of the bass. Searched the net for a safer way to do it than using muratic acid, found this:

[i]For my method I prefer something that takes a little more time, but its safe to me and everyone around me.
Things you will need: Metal pan for boiling(this is something you dont want to keep so make sure its a junk pan and not your moms best pan LOL Mortons Iodized Salt White Vinegar Water Time, Time, Time, this is not for the impatient.
Ok first step get your salt and vinegar.. If your hungry get some chips too.One pan full of water.. Start that stove and let the fun begin
Add a decent amount of salt to the water, I would say a cup of salt if this was a recipe.. What we are going to make is a Salt water brine.
Now some agree with this some dont.. I have had excellent results with this method. We are going to add some Vinegar to the mix, vinegar is usually between 3-5% acidity. So in the process of the salt water brine were going to add some of that acidity to the mix which will help in the aging process. Now dont over do it I used about a 1/2 a cup of vinegar.
Get a nice sized container and throw all your metal parts in there.. Obviously dont throw your electrical parts like pots, switches, and pickups, etc etc in there. LOL
As you can see the salt has no become one with the water.. This is what were after. You dont need to boil it for hours just until the water and salt have mixed.
After about 10-15 mins of boiling I now have a *safe* acidic salt water brine..
Take the water and carefully pour it into the container with the parts.. Now its a waiting game.
When doing the saltwater brine method I will let the parts sit for 2 days in the water, then I will take them out and let them air dry(again I will repeat air dry do not dry them with a rag etc. just let them dry naturally), and then back in the water for 2 days, and then out, etc etc until the parts age the way I want them too.
Screws and Nuts etc, will age alot faster than there Chrome counterparts bridges, tuners. So its just a matter of examining the parts on the days there taken out to air dry. If you feel they need more time in the brine so be it, put them back in, if not put them aside to wait till the others have aged..
This method is safe, and effective, there is more control this way..[/i]

Search the net for the ibanezcollector relicing guide if you want more tips and pics.

With hardware, get a small plastic bag & half fill it with water. Shake it like mad for ages and leave the parts overnight. Then dry them off & leave them for a week. They should be a bit more pitted & vintage.

Incidentally for anyone googling this thread, you can use a dry brillo pad to age plastic parts like a thumb rest or pickup covers.