Why become a member? ×

I Want a Warwick!!

CHRISDABASS

[quote name='Truckstop' post='982491' date='Oct 9 2010, 01:14 PM']Anyone got any thoughts on Rockbass? Are they any good?
I really want a Warwick, but as many people say they're a bit marmite! Is a Rockbass a good idea to cut ones teeth with?[/quote]

The Rockbass range are nice enough basses 'at that price point' but you can't make any direct comparison between one of those and the German made thru-neck basses, so are you cutting your teeth on a lower price Warwick and preparing yourself for the top of the range models? Probably not! However that's just my opinion. :)

If you are in the market to buy a £300 bass then I'd definitely try one next to say a similarly priced Ibanez, Squier, Washburn, Spector etc. but going from that to one of the expensive Warwick basses is a marked difference... and for the sake of stopping any potential flame-war, I'll stress that again: playing a £300 Rockbass will feel a lot 'different' than a top of the range NT bass NOT 'better' or £XXXX superior; just different. :lol:

[quote name='Truckstop' post='982519' date='Oct 9 2010, 01:45 PM']Thanks mate. I was always wondering.
There's often some great looking Warwicks on here for good money and I'm always tempted but I didn't want to get one and hate it and have to sell it again.[/quote]

Buy a used one on here and you'd have to be damned unlucky to not be able to resell it for what you paid... buy a new one and you may as well get someone to kick you as hard as they can in the 'nads because it will hurt you. :)

The big shame with Spector is the price hike. I remember a few years ago when you could get an NT Euro with EMG P/J pickups for £1000 new at Sound Control. They were incredible, they sounded like Victor Wooten's Fodera basses! Sadly, they're a bit overpriced now IMO. Warwick's new prices, on the other hand, have always been absolutely ridiculous, whereas Spector used to be reasonable!

I've played (chronologically) a Shergold marathon, a Fender Jazz 73, a JD supernatural session 1980 and i recently acquired a Warwick streamer stage II 5 string. I still own the JD and the Fender but only play the Warwick. The tone is just awesome. It plays beautifully and the build quality is good.
The only thing I don't like is having to wax it.
I know they're unfashioable at the moment but surely that means now is the time to buy.
I can't recommend this bass enough ( if you can find one secondhand, as new prices are ridiculous)

I really fancy a custom shop SSI 5 string, but the prices are absoultely disgusting.

This is absolutely lush

[url="http://www.warwick.de/modules/custom_shop/NewsCustomShop.php?newsID=978&modell=Streamer&page=15&cl=EN"]http://www.warwick.de/modules/custom_shop/...ge=15&cl=EN[/url]

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='982413' date='Oct 9 2010, 11:29 AM']I've played Warwicks for 20 odd years and despite dabbling with a multitude of other basses I always come back to Warwick; in particular the NT Streamers (the earlier the better)... my Corvette/Infinette comes a close 2nd.

A couple of recent GAS purchases have reinforced that I'm sticking to my Warwick (i.e. they are up for sale), though I'll still admire other basses. :lol:[/quote]

That is an amazing collection Mr Hunt :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='982413' date='Oct 9 2010, 11:29 AM']I've played Warwicks for 20 odd years and despite dabbling with a multitude of other basses I always come back to Warwick; in particular the NT Streamers (the earlier the better)... my Corvette/Infinette comes a close 2nd.

A couple of recent GAS purchases have reinforced that I'm sticking to my Warwick (i.e. they are up for sale), though I'll still admire other basses. :)[/quote]

That Zon is just out of this world!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='982413' date='Oct 9 2010, 11:29 AM'][/quote]

I'd love that fretless for obvious reasons John! :)

Your old '87 Streamer is my main bass now. I used to own a '00 Streamer NT4 which was lovely but IMO the older ones certainly have the edge.

[quote name='bigthumb' post='987532' date='Oct 13 2010, 11:01 PM']I'd love that fretless for obvious reasons John! :)

Your old '87 Streamer is my main bass now. I used to own a '00 Streamer NT4 which was lovely but IMO the older ones certainly have the edge.[/quote]

Glad (one of :)) my old basses is getting good use. :lol:

I had the fretless up for sale but due to the usual Warwick lethargy around at the moment, I withdrew it when I realised that I doubt there can be an early Steamer in as good condition as this one. When the world wakes up to how good Warwick basses are I'll likely put the fretless up for sale as my Ltd Ed Streamer is getting all the love.

I have a bit of a love hate relationship going on with my Thumb. Id always wanted one for ages as I love the Warwick tone, and I like the quirky/ugliness about it. It just doesnt sound like all the clips ive heard, and theres a few problems here and there. I think what I need is a proper setup though to sort it out because I dont have much experience with that. The B string is boomy, particularly above the third fret, and theres a little bit of fret buzz on the 5th and 6th frets and on the open E too. Also, it doesnt seem to have that growl or power to the tone that Warwicks have, so I think the pickups could do with being sorted out.

Ive had this bass about 18 months and I dont really want to get rid, but something isnt quite right. Gonna try and get it sorted out cus it took me ages to get it, and im quite lazy when it comes to selling. Nothing else ive tried really gives me the low end that Warwicks do though.

I used to have a Warwick!
It was a passive five-string Corvette Standard, and it was loooovely.
One of the nicest basses I've owned.
Low-ish price, but pretty high-end in terms of quality, feel and tone.
However..
Something strange started happening to the B string though, I don't really know what it was, but it just felt completely dead. I don't mean the strings just needed changing, it was something more than that.. really hard to explain without sounding mental so I'll just stop there!
Apart from that, it was a brilliant bass!

Slightly off topic now, but I'm thinking of getting a new amp because my smallish Ashdown (though I love it) just isn't really loud enough for the bigger gigs. I'm definitely going to get a big Warwick cab (back on topic) but I'm not sure about the head just yet. The cabs are all brilliant though. Lovely and crisp.

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='979872' date='Oct 6 2010, 09:40 PM']Anyone else still love Warwicks? They seem to be out of fashion right now don't they.[/quote]

I love my Corvette, and after an extended period of trying and buying other stuff, it's definitely the bass for me. I agree emphatically that they sound superb in the mix, and it was ultimately that that made me get rid of my Stingray and buy another Warwick. Sounds full and deep by comparison, and just sits better. And the neck is lovely, even though sadly its not all the way through...

:)

And yes, they're deeply unfashionable, but that means you can pick up superb basses for f*ck all. Which is how I got a '96 Vette for 400 quid, and by Norwegian standards that's an absolute steal.

[quote name='TRadford' post='992541' date='Oct 18 2010, 07:04 PM']There is much Warwick love here![/quote]

Oh, I wasn't commenting on the state of Love here, more out there... beyond the pines... in the...

[b][color="#FF0000"][size=3][i]REAL WORLD[/i][/size]
[/color]
[/b]
[size=1]/shudder[/size]

Edited by implo