Why become a member? ×

I Want a Warwick!!

CHRISDABASS

[quote name='Chris2112' post='992819' date='Oct 18 2010, 09:49 PM']Remember around the early years of this millenium when Warwicks were huge? Adverts in every magazine and everyone wanted them, everyone who had them raved incessantly about them! And I don't just think it was nu metal doing that![/quote]
I think I remember lusting after one before I was even a bassist. I seem to remember it was as a result of an interview on TV with Jack Bruce and he had his Thumb. Warwicks seemed so sexy and exclusive. Maybe they advertise TOO much and take away the mystique.

• 3 weeks later...

Reading this thread a few weeks back prompted me to dig out my Streamer stage 2 again.

This is my favourite Warwick. To me it's got the best of the Streamer and Thumb combined. Great looks, feel and ergonomics. The sound is everything I love in a bass. As much as I've been enjoying my Fenders lately, I have to admit that the Warwick sounds tighter and deeper and just all round different.

The yin yang markers are a work of art.

Frank.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='982507' date='Oct 9 2010, 12:29 PM']The Rockbass range are nice enough basses 'at that price point' but you can't make any direct comparison between one of those and the German made thru-neck basses, so are you cutting your teeth on a lower price Warwick and preparing yourself for the top of the range models? Probably not! However that's just my opinion. :)

If you are in the market to buy a £300 bass then I'd definitely try one next to say a similarly priced Ibanez, Squier, Washburn, Spector etc. but going from that to one of the expensive Warwick basses is a marked difference... and for the sake of stopping any potential flame-war, I'll stress that again: playing a £300 Rockbass will feel a lot 'different' than a top of the range NT bass NOT 'better' or £XXXX superior; just different. :)[/quote]

Just looking at the Rockbass range on www.Thomann.de - it's very extensive!
My Corvette Rockbass had active pickups and it had a nice bright tone, maybe not "the sound of wood" but a decent tone all the same

Did I read somewhere that Warwick are not writing Rockbass on the headstocks of the new Rockbasses?

Some of the online stock has and some don't....

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warwick-Rockbass-Corvette-Basic-NT-5-String-Bass-Guitar-/330493054579?pt=Guitar&hash=item4cf2ebce73"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warwick-Rockbass-Cor...=item4cf2ebce73[/url]

This one doesn't?

[quote name='megallica' post='1013863' date='Nov 5 2010, 11:23 PM']Just looking at the Rockbass range on www.Thomann.de - it's very extensive!
My Corvette Rockbass had active pickups and it had a nice bright tone, maybe not "the sound of wood" but a decent tone all the same

Did I read somewhere that Warwick are not writing Rockbass on the headstocks of the new Rockbasses?

Some of the online stock has and some don't....

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warwick-Rockbass-Corvette-Basic-NT-5-String-Bass-Guitar-/330493054579?pt=Guitar&hash=item4cf2ebce73"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warwick-Rockbass-Cor...=item4cf2ebce73[/url]

This one doesn't?[/quote]

That's right. All Rockbasses produced from (late) 2010 onwards have "Rockbass" only in tiny writing - from a distance the headstock looks like a regular Warwick. And the bridge is the same 2-piece bridge that the German Warwicks use. The pickups have always been the same, except for the RB Streamers. So it's now the woods and preamps that are the main difference between Warwicks and Rockbasses. And, of course, the country of manufacture (China for RBs, Germany for most Warwicks, except for most Corvettes which are made in Korea, and the Aliens that come from Vietnam).