Why become a member? ×

66 P bass...er...think not!

neilb

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1966-Fender-Precision-bass_W0QQitemZ190186691983QQihZ009QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1966-Fender-Precisio...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

That neck is more like Fisher Price.

Also, really like the philips screws holding the plate on.

I accept that he has not put any descriptive text on the auction, but the header states its a 66.

[quote name='Hamster' post='111227' date='Dec 30 2007, 11:48 PM']Q: hi would u say this is apukka 1966 fender base? 30-Dec-07
A: I bought it as such, but I don't think it is?

:) - A potential bargain if you can get it for less than £20 then?

Hamster[/quote]

only if you pay the money and DON'T take the bass.......

Andy

I'm peeved on how sh*tty this looks, and how the seller acts dumb, sense its a kids cheesy act to fool us kind bass folk :huh:

someone plz ask a question, tho make it a warning for others to see..

Not a great demo anyway...makes my ears bleed!! :wacko: :)

Edited by Pedro1020

[quote name='Pedro1020' post='111616' date='Dec 31 2007, 08:17 PM']I'm peeved on how sh*tty this looks, and how the seller acts dumb, sense its a kids cheesy act to fool us kind bass folk :huh:

someone plz ask a question, tho make it a warning for others to see..

Not a great demo anyway...makes my ears bleed!! :wacko: :)[/quote]

I asked him for the serial number - it checks out as being 1966-67. But it's on the neck plate, shouldn't it be on the headstock? Isn't the big F on the neckplate a 70s innovation? Should the neck have a skunk stripe?

If we're convinced that this is a fake - and he virtually admits it - we should maybe politely suggest he alter the description. Recent experience shows that Evilbay don't give a fjork.

On the other hand, anyone who still believes it pukka after reading his answers probably deserves it. I think if it goes for real money I'll tip the winner off.

[quote name='bremen' post='112189' date='Jan 2 2008, 11:51 AM']I asked him for the serial number - it checks out as being 1966-67. But it's on the neck plate, shouldn't it be on the headstock? Isn't the big F on the neckplate a 70s innovation? Should the neck have a skunk stripe?

If we're convinced that this is a fake - and he virtually admits it - we should maybe politely suggest he alter the description. Recent experience shows that Evilbay don't give a fjork.

On the other hand, anyone who still believes it pukka after reading his answers probably deserves it. I think if it goes for real money I'll tip the winner off.[/quote]

For a 1966 Fender bass the serial number would be stamped on an 'F' neck plate ('F' neck plates were used from late 1965 onwards). The serial number is correct for that year - but it's very easy to get hold of an 'F' neck plate copy with a serial number added (it may even be an original neck plate). The serial numbers weren't put on the headstocks until around ten years later in 1976. The neck on a 1966 Precision wouldn't have had a skunk stripe....

But no - it most certainly isn't a genuine 1966 Precision... it's just a junk copy with a decal & a F neck plate added.
(Here's real 1966 Precision: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1543)"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1543)[/url]

[quote name='Davetbass' post='112170' date='Jan 2 2008, 11:15 AM']I asked him for the bass tab of his solo..... he`s put the question on the listing!! :)

Excellent!! :huh:[/quote]

Haha, I was just thinking. What sort of crazy person would ask for a tab on such a crap solo!