Why become a member? ×

Schecters? What're they like?

OutToPlayJazz

Hi Guys,

Was pondering through the Sound Control website/special offers yesterday & quite fancied a Schecter Stiletto Elite with the monorails & through neck, etc...

Then I found this in the special offers list... Down from something like £399 to £199 at the Sheffield branch... There're a couple more around the country, but the red one looked rather nice (bottom picture.)

The actual one they have is in candy apple red, but I thought I'd give you guys a heads up on what seems like a really nice bargain!

Bass Schecter CV4 Gloss Black 4 String Electric Bass £ 449 £ 250 £ 199 Kirkcaldy (1) - Call 01592 260 293
Bass Schecter CV4 Metallic Blue 4 String Electric Bass £ 599 £ 400 £ 199 Norwich (1) - Call 01603 666 891
Bass Schecter CV4 CAR 4 String Electric Bass £ 399 £ 200 £ 199 Sheffield (1) - Call 0114 264 0000

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

I'm not sure about the ones you listed, but I was in an SC yesterday and they had a Schecter Ricky copy. I wasn't able to plug it in, but an acoustic try out was very pleasing, felt really nice and I liked the neck. It seem reasonably well constructed too!

Sorry not too much help!
M.

OTPJ,
A friend as one very similar to the first photograph but in a natural (waxed?) finish like a Warwick. Sounds ok - a little thin, would benefit from pup upgrade but I thought worth the money. Personally tho cash wise I'd probably go with something Squier at the mo - like the Pete Wentz you posted.

Schecters are excellent bits of kit.....

FYI- Mark Knopfler (the Dire Straits fella) was so disheartened with Fenders being very average in the 80s-90s that he had Schecter build him effectively Strat copies. Thats why all the vids of DS that see (Money for Nothing, Sultans swing etc) you see MK playing what looks like a Strat, but actually on close up you see no name on the head stock. Now you know why.

So at one time in MKs opinion Schecter built Strats better then Fender......

Although recently I hear that he's made up with Fender and they are doing a MK sig model.

I play a 5-string version of the one in your first photo.

I've found the construction and feel to be excellent and the hardware all seems to be of a very reasonable quality. They used to use EMG Hz pickups and preamps but the more recent models don't seem to advertise this (although I wouldn't be at all surprised if they pups they use turned out to be the same minus the EMG badge).

It won't sound like a P-bass or J-bass (the construction and electrics are too different) but if you try it out and like the sound then go for it.

Some models have a relatively narrow width fretboard (which I like) so check you're comfortable with this first.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='111005' date='Dec 30 2007, 03:36 PM']Although recently I hear that he's made up with Fender and they are doing a MK sig model.[/quote]

Ooh, how fantastic, a signature Stratocaster, what a novelty. :huh:

I played a Schecter Telecaster guitar like Pete Townshend's and it was fantastic. I believe that Pete Townshend played Schecter guitars in the Eighties for much the same reason that MK did.

That MM/S CAR bass in the bottom pic looks great and is a nice take on the Stingray/Sterling model, in fact I think I'll go and let my chums on the EBMM forum know about it, I'm sure they'll be ecstatic. :) :huh:

[quote name='Marky L' post='110886' date='Dec 30 2007, 11:29 AM']I'm not sure about the ones you listed, but I was in an SC yesterday and they had a Schecter Ricky copy. I wasn't able to plug it in, but an acoustic try out was very pleasing, felt really nice and I liked the neck. It seem reasonably well constructed too!

Sorry not too much help!
M.[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7198"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7198[/url]
One of them?
Great bass, just need the money....

[quote name='The Burpster' post='111005' date='Dec 30 2007, 03:36 PM']FYI- Mark Knopfler (the Dire Straits fella) was so disheartened with Fenders being very average in the 80s-90s that he had Schecter build him effectively Strat copies. Thats why all the vids of DS that see (Money for Nothing, Sultans swing etc) you see MK playing what looks like a Strat, but actually on close up you see no name on the head stock. Now you know why.[/quote]

For sure, but there's a world of difference between something built for a 'rock star' in a custom shop, and the 'Made in Korea' or 'Made in America' (by Mexicans) stuff that the average player uses. Those special guitars are good product placement, but you have to judge the stuff that you can actually buy yourself.

Edited by David Nimrod

had the following:

stiletto elite 4, extreme 4 and custom 5 - all were superb instruments in their own right, the elite is a superb instrument.

construction and design are flawless...I dont understand how they can make quality basses this cheap??

recommend an elite 4 to any one!

For many years (until the 90's) Schecters were built from parts made in the US, they're built offshore now. That being said, the quality, fit and finish isn't bad. Like a lot of Korean and Chinese basses the electronics could use an upgrade if needed but for a low priced bass they're quite good.

Edited by rockinrayduke

i have a 6 string studio which i think is or was top of the line korean and i love it.

I am going to upgrade the pickups, the hzs arnt bad but i play n a death metal band with the b drop tuned to a and it dosnt cut as well as i would like.

Construction is great no problems and i have had it for almost 2 years.

It is slightly neck heavy. on a strap it neck dives to a certain point but nothing too bad.

i dont like the finish on mine (a honey stain) and it really isnt that well done the other schecters like the custom have a much better finish.

overall i would def recomend.

Im going to do a proper review tomorrow i think schecters are under rated

here is a pic from schecter

Edited by metaltime

FWIW, my mate (jamiedunce on here, if he's still around) owns a Schecter Custom 4, and I thought it played beautifully. The natural finish was beautiful too - stunning bass for the money I thought! I do feel that the Schecter 4s are much better than the Schecter 5s though.