Why become a member? ×

Squier VM Jazz

spongebob

I had one for a while, gigged it loads!

The BEST thing about the bass is how bright and definded it is! The maple body, paired with those Duncan pickups creates a monster of a bass! If your after a jazz that you could slap all day long on, but you cant fork out for a marcus or one of the RI jazz's, then this is it!

I played mine for the most part stock. Infact all i did, tonal wise, was put a graphtech nut on! It didnt make any major improvement, but harmonics rang out a little more and it completed the look of the black binding! I also put some jazz knobs on, an ashtray for a short while (although i found my self wanting to rest at the bridge pup!) and some EMG style pup covers. Also popped an orange drop cap in there too!

Come too think of it, i sanded under the bridge as the lacqure is layed on thick. That helped resonance and sustain.

I wish i swapped the pots out, new bridge the its sorted!

Im after a jazz now, and haven played the CV many times i was set on it! Its a little tamer than the VM but the rosewood neck and that Gotoh w/brass saddles style bridge is great for getting those lows mids fat and fast! As the CV comes with (i think) squier standard pups id maybe switch them out along with the electronics!

Now ive gotta wait until i can get my hands on a 77vm, as i wont be purchasing the CV until ive tried one. They are great looking basses.....then again all 3 are!

Just take too account what you need from a jazz and pick the one that suits you best!

[quote name='lanark' post='973300' date='Sep 30 2010, 10:39 PM']Well NOW I just want to see that paint job :)[/quote]

Your wish is my command.

[attachment=60486:DSC01699.JPG]
[attachment=60485:DSC01703.JPG]

When I said a Halfords paint job, I meant that I used their car paint. Satin black if I remember right. The preparation took ages (10 mins with a sanding block!) and the actual paint job took, oh, 5 mins each coat. And it got about 3 coats. I have no patience whatsoever for painting.
I had to go over it after doing the paint with T cut as when I was playing, the paint was coming off the back and going onto my jeans. Sod painting anything again!

Jez

I picked one of these up recently to use as a backup, it's a nice bass actually, nice and bright and punchy. I am considering selling it as it's not getting used at all at the moment and I could do with the cash to go towards a barefaced cab. Am really conflicted though as I really like the sound of it, nearly as much as some basses two or three times as expensive or highly regarded. Would definitely recommend giving one a try to anyone.

[quote name='TJAS92' post='975642' date='Oct 2 2010, 05:50 PM']Did you happen to have any trouble with the pickups?, Because mine kept failing and it was cutting in and out at gigs!
so I have had to replace them with the pickups that came out of my jazzy b deluxe![/quote]

Wow - no, I've never had an ounce (UK= gram?) of trouble with anything on it yet.

[u]Let me also put a short scale up for brightness and clarity of the three Squiers I now have. [/u]
[b]
With the deepest and least crystalline tones : the Squier P bass.

With the tightest MIDs and still a lot of thump : The VM-Jass

Brightest tone of all and even has serious low-end rumble ; VM-Jaguar. [/b]

All three are different by quantum levels for voicing and timber.

Output power is another consideration. The Jag has the most power output according to where I have to set the GAIN of the amp.

The VM-Jazz is next and the P comes in last, but still honks although in a somewhat different way.

I'd say that the Jag has about the same passive output as a weak active bass.

Anybody like this idea?I was tired of my VMJ's shiny black scratchplate getting er.. scratched,and looking grubby.I didn't like the look of it in that condition as it detracted from the good look of the bass.So I scratched it! With a green scouring pad! All over! It now has a matt finish which I think contrasts with the shiny body lacquer admirably.

I like it anyway.What say you?[attachment=60660:Scratchplate_002.jpg]

Edited by squire5

[quote]Wow - no, I've never had an ounce (UK= gram?) of trouble with anything on it yet.

Let me also put a short scale up for brightness and clarity of the three Squiers I now have.

With the deepest and least crystalline tones : the Squier P bass.

With the tightest MIDs and still a lot of thump : The VM-Jass

Brightest tone of all and even has serious low-end rumble ; VM-Jaguar.

All three are different by quantum levels for voicing and timber.

Output power is another consideration. The Jag has the most power output according to where I have to set the GAIN of the amp.

The VM-Jazz is next and the P comes in last, but still honks although in a somewhat different way.

I'd say that the Jag has about the same passive output as a weak active bass.[/quote]

Ahh right, Maybe I've jus got a bad one I guess, Alittle unfortunate but what can I do hey :)

[quote name='TJAS92' post='980020' date='Oct 6 2010, 02:57 PM']Ahh right, Maybe I've jus got a bad one I guess, A little unfortunate but what can I do hey :)[/quote]

I'd pull the PG and the control panel and have a look/see at what's going on. Yours isn't normal as far as I can see.

If you've got an Ohm meter, I'd test every connection and value of the V & T pots.

I don't believe in 'bad ones' and there's always an answer to something odd.

A human designed and built it - a human can figure out any misbehaving characteristics of it too.

[quote name='squire5' post='979176' date='Oct 6 2010, 02:29 AM']Anybody like this idea?I was tired of my VMJ's shiny black scratchplate getting er.. scratched,and looking grubby.I didn't like the look of it in that condition as it detracted from the good look of the bass.So I scratched it! With a green scouring pad! All over! It now has a matt finish which I think contrasts with the shiny body lacquer admirably.

I like it anyway.What say you?[attachment=60660:Scratchplate_002.jpg][/quote]

Not my style - but very interesting. If it doesn't shine - I make it shine more so.

I use a very high quality carnauba wax to make my instruments shine better n' new and I've got a 13 year old Affinity P bass that looks better than the day it was new.

Since I play primarily with my thumb, my fingers of the right hand tuck under the G string and the nails can cause a little scratching - but the carnauba wax fills them in to new condition.

For anyone who's interested, don't get a liquid wax that has a product in it called: CARNUBA WAX" as it's an artificial product - very good and all, but not for our purposes.

The real bean wax you want is "CARNAUBA" - so look for that on the label. The higher the carnauba content, the more costly the product.

If you get it overseas, it's called 'Mother's" or "Pro Wax" without any cleaners or fillers. It should smell like a sweet candy.

I totally filled and polished out some pretty severe buckle rash on the back of a Les Paul Special bass so it was really like new.

Carnauba will fill scratches! Carnuba will not.

I digressed - sorry.

[quote name='gary mac' post='980144' date='Oct 6 2010, 09:46 PM']Thanks for the heads up, that looks like an excellent product.
It would seem it's used on cars and boats over here.
Think I will order a bottle and give it a go.[/quote]

Yeah - I used it on body work for customers and myself.

One product that I really like - well, two really - are [b][color="#FF0000"]Meguir's[/color][/b] and [b]Mother's[/b].

If you get [b][color="#FF0000"]Meguir's[/color][/b], get the '[i][b]Deep Crystal System ~ Step #3[/b][/i]'.

In the Mother's line, get the [b]California Gold[/b] or [b]Yellow Wax[/b] version - this is a paste in a flat can (tin?), but don't be afraid of it - it is very easy to work with and won't freeze on the surface like [i]Simonize Hard Shell[/i] will.

If you ever get a wax that freezes and won't buff out 'cause you left it on too long, just apply [u]more[/u] and it'll work right out for ya.

Edited by Circle_of_Fifths

• 2 years later...

I am thinking about doing the serial mod on my VMJ, preferably with a push pull pot. Has anyone done this mod, was there sufficient space in the cavity for the push-pull without additional routing and what pot do you recommend (and supplier)?