Why become a member? ×

Where are the Precision copies?!

sgt-pluck

So the Jazz bass spawned an entire genre of basses - ranging from direct replicas through JB 'inspired' instruments, to basses which have their roots in the JB but have evolved considerably. You can go out and buy just about any shape, style, configuration, colour etc of a jazz that you can think of, from any number of manufacturers, you can even buy an [i]actual [/i]Jazz Bass, and choose which 'era' you want it from. The options are endless.

Is it because the old Precision is a bit of a one trick pony that manufacturers just don't see a market for a simple P-type bass that isn't a Fender? There are the cheapo P copies, but there don't seem to be many really nice quality precision-style basses available, that offer P-style simplicity, P-style looks and a P-style tone. Why is that? Does the market just not exist?

I'm fortunate in that I don't suffer GAS too bad - I have my Tokai (JB replica!) which I really love, and really I don't feel like I need or want anything else/more. At the moment. Having said that :) , I do like that Precision tone, love the simplicity of it all (less is definately more in my world) and wouldn't mind a bass that would give me that. The obvious answer is 'go and buy a Fender P then!', and you'd be right, but I do wonder if I should look anywhere else first? For that dead simple, beautifully-made, single tone, (but what a tone!) style bass that will bring me Precision-ness without being a Precision. Not sure I even know what I mean, do you?!

Pluck

Edited by sgt-pluck

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='110617' date='Dec 29 2007, 06:32 PM']

OK its a bit Jazz shaped but pure P pup.

I'm sure old git will be along shortly with his 5 string Shuker.

Celinder do a P and there are a few on here.

And dont forget Leo's own P update - the Stingray.[/quote]

Thanks - what is that Bass in your picture? Also, I'd never heard of Celinder, I'll look them up.

Pluck

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='110635' date='Dec 29 2007, 07:00 PM']Tis a GB - made by Bernie Goodfellow.[/quote]
Nice.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='110635' date='Dec 29 2007, 07:00 PM']Celinder are very highly rated. Made in Denmark. Kiwi has one I believe.[/quote]
They must be, no new orders til '09!

Edited by sgt-pluck

An American luthier I know has got a new line called the Hot Rod Vintage, which are based on his own favourite P bass. He's got custom Kent Armstrong pickups that are quad coil, they look like a humbucker, but you can switch to offset coils for the whole P bass thing. Pics here: [url="http://www.gwbasses.com/projects/DC-2B_HRV-0002_crotchwalnut/"]http://www.gwbasses.com/projects/DC-2B_HRV...2_crotchwalnut/[/url]

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='110680' date='Dec 29 2007, 08:44 PM']An American luthier I know has got a new line called the Hot Rod Vintage, which are based on his own favourite P bass. He's got custom Kent Armstrong pickups that are quad coil, they look like a humbucker, but you can switch to offset coils for the whole P bass thing. Pics here: [url="http://www.gwbasses.com/projects/DC-2B_HRV-0002_crotchwalnut/"]<a href="http://www.gwbasses.com/projects/DC-2B_HRV-0002_crotchwalnut/" target="_blank">http://www.gwbasses.com/projects/DC-2B_HRV...2_crotchwalnut/[/url]</a>[/quote]

Thats very cool. Shame about the offset markers.

I would argue that this is a pretty good copy.......

[topic="0"]Ibanez Blazer[/topic]

Around this time, (Late 80's-early 90's) there seemed to be a lot of P copies floating around. However now (as identified above) the trend seems to be towards J copies and I rightly understand why, J's can easily be made active...... You have a lot more options sonically, and therefore a more versatile instrument. We all like versatility dont we? so the market dictates what the producers do in fact produce......

IMHO of course :)

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='110856' date='Dec 30 2007, 10:24 AM']Thats a heck of a lot of Super P basses we have collectively come up with - in addition to Fenders own offerings of custom shop and jap re-issues.[/quote]
True, I was surprised how many there were. The starter question of the thread could have been equally said of the MM Stingray, and the answer being the same as for the P - they're both simple, stripped-down, iconic designs with less scope for "souping up" than twin p/u models. No co-incidence that many P players also use/used 'Rays (eg; John Deacon) and many 'Ray players also use/used P's (eg; Pino)

Thanks all - so they do exist! Plenty of food for thought and some beauties too (love those Laklands), although mostly a little out of my price-range :)

I can see a precision of some sort in my future. Wonder if it'll be Fender or other....?

Pluck

Edited by sgt-pluck

• 7 months later...

Just to re-kindle this topic a bit...

In your opinion/experience what are the best high end, Passive, Precision bass style basses out there?

Are the Fender C.S. P's the ones?,
Celinder?,
Lakland USA Bob Glaub?

Help me out here Folks!
Pictures anyone?

Cheers,
Jon.