Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

iGig cases

Faithless

I'm after a decent case, and iGig got my attention first..

Now, they don't have their webpage, and I'm struggling to find, where to get them in Europe..

oh, there's one link:

[url="http://www.mikobass.com/Shop/iGIG/G515.htm"]http://www.mikobass.com/Shop/iGIG/G515.htm[/url]

As I suppose, if you ask one from there, they ship it from US (which is an awful lot of money in taxes..)?

any info would be highly appreciated..

easy
Faith

hmm, I sorted it with Mark, cases should be in next week, I just have to sell my EUB and get the money together :)

Wattabout sending them from US, while they can't ship it using USPS to Lithuania, they could have used other dealer (which is as expensive as case is), but he didn't mentioned import taxes somehow..

Faith

I've bought an igig, mono and protec contego in the past three months - I'd have to say that whilst they're all excellent bags, the contego is my favourite as it offers the greatest level of protection. They're available at thoman for about 90 euros - much less expensive than an igig

[quote name='lozbass' post='975116' date='Oct 2 2010, 04:34 PM']I've bought an igig, mono and protec contego in the past three months - I'd have to say that whilst they're all excellent bags, the contego is my favourite as it offers the greatest level of protection. They're available at thoman for about 90 euros - much less expensive than an igig[/quote]

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/protec_contego_e_bass_case.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/protec_contego_e_bass_case.htm[/url]

Contego 71 Euros which is £59. I have one (and paid more for it) It is the bomb. At that price I might well put my Wood n Tronics and my Reunion Blues and my Ritter ones up for sale. There really is no competition - what a great sales pitch that will be.

Hmm, case was collected from Mark on Friday, and today I didn't get it..

What worries me is this (latest tracking updates):

10-10-2010 00:59 Departed FedEx location PARIS
09-10-2010 23:15 In transit PARIS
09-10-2010 21:58 Departed FedEx location PARIS
09-10-2010 20:00 Arrived at FedEx location PARIS

tommorow about 50% of France flights won't be happening, so that should affect my gigbag arrival, right?.. :)

I hope it arrives today! Very nice bags and reasonably protective (if a bit fussy - lots of refinements that I really don't need and some get in the way).

I don't think you can go badly wrong with igig, Protec Contego or Mono - all excellent cases. A lot depends on priorities. For me, it's protection - the Contego feels considerably more protective than the igig or Mono - it has a rigid outer shell that inspires confidence. The Mono has the great advantage of being very light. The igig is around the same weight as the Contego and has loads of pockets and gussets etc. Great if you need to carry a small amp and cables etc. - I use my bags for the bass only. The neck brace system of the igig is similar to that in the Mono (only larger - sometimes too large). The ideal for me would be a Congego with the weight of the Mono and a neck brace system. I really must do a comparative review when I get a chance.

I've got my iGig this morning and it's an absolute cracker!!

yep, I'm planning to carry a lil amphead in it, and other stuff, so those pockets are indeed cool.

And, for those of you guys, who have these cases (iGig, Mono, Protego) my question is - do you anymore use (or keep) [u]hard-cases[/u]?

Let's say if you go to gig and you have to put your bass in car booth along with other gear - does these soft cases like iGig/Mono offer enough protection for the instrument, sitting along with other gear like amps, guitars, drums?

Edited by Faithless

Question for iGig users: Could I get the following in the pockets?

Analogman Bi-Comp compressor
SansAmp Programmable BDDI
Boss TU-12 Tuner
2x 3m leads, 2x patch cable
1x 5m XLR cable

(If it helps I can provide approx dimension)

Thanks!

[quote name='toneknob' post='985603' date='Oct 12 2010, 12:24 PM']Question for iGig users: Could I get the following in the pockets?

Boss TU-12 Tuner
1x 5m XLR cable

Thanks![/quote]
I'm almost certain you'd get all of the above in an igig with room to spare. Whether packing all this gear with the bass would compromise protection is another issue: I'm not sure I'd want to try it.

[quote name='Faithless' post='985568' date='Oct 12 2010, 11:54 AM']And, for those of you guys, who have these cases (iGig, Mono, Protego) my question is - do you anymore use (or keep) [u]hard-cases[/u]?

Let's say if you go to gig and you have to put your bass in car booth along with other gear - does these soft cases like iGig/Mono offer enough protection for the instrument, sitting along with other gear like amps, guitars, drums?[/quote]
I'm really please you like the igig - excellent bags!

To answer your question, yes, I still use hard cases (mainly Hiscox) in many situations. If I have to load basses with other gear into a hatchback, van etc. I'd prefer the protection of a rigid case. Whilst some of the newer bags are really well designed and reasonably protective, I tend to use them when I'm carrying a bass (only) on public transport, or when I'm using a car and can place the bass on the backseat. I don't treat bags as a replacement for hard cases/flight-cases.

[quote name='lozbass' post='985702' date='Oct 12 2010, 01:41 PM']I'm almost certain you'd get all of the above in an igig with room to spare. Whether packing all this gear with the bass would compromise protection is another issue: I'm not sure I'd want to try it.[/quote]

Good point, and something I'd been wondering about. With my current gig bag (a Stagg - pretty good but on its last legs) I put a couple of old folded up t-shirts on the bass body's front before zipping up, just protect against whatever's rattling around in the not-too-generous front pocket.

Is there padding between the front pocket and the main compartment of an iGig bag?

I use a Levy's canvas job for small/light..contego for same, but with more stuff to carry and a bit more protection...and I'll get another Hiscox if I start doing lots of van/estate car trips again. I would use the contego for van jobs if I could be sure it was going in last/on top and I was putting it there - but the Hiscox is a better case for that situation.

[quote name='toneknob' post='985603' date='Oct 12 2010, 12:24 PM']Question for iGig users: Could I get the following in the pockets?

Boss TU-12 Tuner
1x 5m XLR cable

Thanks![/quote]

Yeah,you can fit that lot in-there is tons of space in the iGig G515 model.There is plenty of padding between the bass and the pockets,
so you don't need to worry.

I pretty much never use a hard case anymore.I've had my bass in fully loaded vans,in just the iGig,and it's always been fine.

[quote name='Doddy' post='985941' date='Oct 12 2010, 05:15 PM']Yeah,you can fit that lot in-there is tons of space in the iGig G515 model.There is plenty of padding between the bass and the pockets,
so you don't need to worry.

I pretty much never use a hard case anymore.I've had my bass in fully loaded vans,in just the iGig,and it's always been fine.[/quote]

Brilliant. Thanks for the reply - currently my rehearsals are all in and around London on so I do it all by public transport. The current setup is ageing Stagg (or similar) gig bag plus a Samsonite wheelie suitcase which despite being pretty sturdy is also feeling the strain. I think if I can get my essentials in a sturdy gig bag and ditch the wheelie I'd be on to a winner and more relaxed journey for me and anyone who's sadly been on the receiving end of a bass/wheelie case combination in rush hour.

Dear Santa...