Why become a member? ×

Strap button repair?

maxrossell

I just took delivery of a Les Paul, and after about two minutes on the strap, the top strap button popped out because the hole had stripped.

As common a problem as this is, I've never actually had it before so I've never fixed one. What I did was take a couple of cocktail sticks and jam them into the whole, then add enough superglue to fill the hole almost to the top, then screwed the strap button in place and left it overnight.

Seems pretty solid now, is this a decent enough fix?

[quote name='maxrossell' post='970510' date='Sep 28 2010, 11:40 AM']I just took delivery of a Les Paul, and after about two minutes on the strap, the top strap button popped out because the hole had stripped.

As common a problem as this is, I've never actually had it before so I've never fixed one. What I did was take a couple of cocktail sticks and jam them into the whole, then add enough superglue to fill the hole almost to the top, then screwed the strap button in place and left it overnight.

Seems pretty solid now, is this a decent enough fix?[/quote]
That should work. If the glue was still liquid when you screwed the button back on, hope you never want to take it out again...

Jon.

Edited by Bassassin

[quote name='Bassassin' post='971518' date='Sep 29 2010, 11:16 AM']That should work. If the glue was still liquid when you screwed the button back on, hope you never want to take it out again...

Jon.[/quote]

I don't think I will. I can't see myself refinishing the guitar and I'm not really a fan of straplock systems.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Just had to do this on my trusty Ibanez - the strap button on the top horn just kept coming loose. Five minutes with a drillbit to open out the hole, jam some cocktail sticks and a bit of a match in there with some fast Superglue. Let it set over lunch then drilled a small pilot hole for the strap button screw, and......job's a good 'un :)

Hopefully this'll keep it in place. Any thoughts for a more permanent solution if this doesn't work? Dowel seems to be the favourite method.

Ian

[quote name='Bottle' post='1156694' date='Mar 10 2011, 02:52 PM']Any thoughts for a more permanent solution if this doesn't work?[/quote]
Use proper wood glue. Don't use matchsticks (too soft). Let it set overnight.

Don't keep fiddling with the screws. My bass is 23 years old and the original strap buttons& screws are still rock solid.

[quote name='ezbass' post='971878' date='Sep 29 2010, 04:08 PM']Yep that's pretty much "the" fix. For a proper pro job a correct sized piece of dowel should be wood glued in, allowed to dry and then redrilled, but who has the time (or the right piece of dowel) for that?[/quote]
Wooden kebab barbecue sticks! Only done in once on my SG but it's totally solid. Otherwise I've done the three cocktail sticks trick which is equally good.

If its just a case of the actual thread stripped,ie-screw turns without tightening,coating the screw in a descent epoxy glue and letting set will work,usually as a screws chrome plated too it can be removed leaving the threaded glue bit where you want it as chrome/zinc plating isnt very porous. :)

[quote name='ezbass' post='971878' date='Sep 29 2010, 04:08 PM']Yep that's pretty much "the" fix. For a proper pro job a correct sized piece of dowel should be wood glued in, allowed to dry and then redrilled, but who has the time (or the right piece of dowel) for that?[/quote]

Me, for one :)