Why become a member? ×

Spangly BFB Compact in da house!

wateroftyne

• 4 weeks later...

Another update...

I've had a couple of weeks off, but the fun has begun again.

At last night's gig I ran both the TC and Promethan heads into the Compact. There's a bit of chat between the songs so I had time to swap fairly often. The Promethean was a great match for the Compact, and I struggled to choose which I preferred. The Promethean is a fab head, and at that price is a steal.

Anyway, the Compact did another great job. It's so responsive to changes in dynamics.. playing with my thumb over the 12th fret, or honkin' at the bridge... lots of detail.

I need to make my mind about up what I'm going to do about cabs. Hmm.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1007897' date='Oct 31 2010, 09:46 PM']Neither head felt like it was working particularly hard, to be honest...[/quote]

I'd like to hear the Barefaced in action before it leaves you, if that's ok?

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1007897' date='Oct 31 2010, 09:46 PM']Neither head felt like it was working particularly hard, to be honest...[/quote]

Agreed. When I used it, my LH500 was only on a volume setting of around 6 - and that was against a very loud drummer and two guitars!

Sensitivity would appear to be the key...

[quote name='JPJ' post='1010257' date='Nov 3 2010, 01:04 AM']I'd like to hear the Barefaced in action before it leaves you, if that's ok?[/quote]
Of course... any time! Just give me a bell and come and collect it.

That said, there's a chance it might not leave me... :)

This also applies to any other BC'ers local to me. if you want a shot, drop me a PM.

[quote name='skychaserhigh' post='1010609' date='Nov 3 2010, 12:01 PM']I'm taking my name off the compact tour list. Seems the 2 week maximum time for keeping it has been totally ignored and i have lost interest due to the long wait since it was first announced !!

Cheers , Dave.[/quote]
I'm sure this is explained in a thread somewhere already, but... at Alex's request, this particular Compact has been taken off the 'national' tour, as his latest cabinets have improved designs and he'd rather people see the latest version.

I'm hanging on to this one for a while - with his agreement - because I want to have a really good go with it before I consider selling the Bergs. Also there's a few people around here want to have a go before it goes back.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1010620' date='Nov 3 2010, 01:12 PM']I'm sure this is explained in a thread somewhere already, but... at Alex's request, this particular Compact has been taken off the 'national' tour, as his latest cabinets have improved designs and he'd rather people see the latest version.

I'm hanging on to this one for a while - with his agreement - because I want to have a really good go with it before I consider selling the Bergs. Also there's a few people around here want to have a go before it goes back.[/quote]

That makes me curious: do you consider replacing the bergs with 1 or 2 compacts? (or a compact & midget?)

[quote name='skychaserhigh' post='1010609' date='Nov 3 2010, 12:01 PM']I'm taking my name off the compact tour list. Seems the 2 week maximum time for keeping it has been totally ignored and i have lost interest due to the long wait since it was first announced !!

Cheers , Dave.[/quote]

Some of those delays were caused by logistical problems, and some as a result of pretty horrific personal injuries to one of the guys further up the list - so your comments seem slightly heartless and crass IMO... :)

Heartless and crass ?? Not at all, i have just lost interest since the idea of the tour started , i thought it would have moved on quicker than it has thats all.
I didn't know this compact had been taken off the tour , looks like a lack of communication to me.
I'm aware of the reasons for some of the delays but as explained i have now lost interest for the time being.
Perhaps i'm just not as much of a gear junkie as some of you !!

Cheers , Dave.

[quote name='skychaserhigh' post='1010778' date='Nov 3 2010, 02:00 PM']Heartless and crass ?? Not at all, i have just lost interest since the idea of the tour started , i thought it would have moved on quicker than it has thats all.
I didn't know this compact had been taken off the tour , looks like a lack of communication to me.
I'm aware of the reasons for some of the delays but as explained i have now lost interest for the time being.
Perhaps i'm just not as much of a gear junkie as some of you !!

Cheers , Dave.[/quote]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=87715&view=findpost&p=957243"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=957243[/url]

[quote name='OmeDunk' post='1010626' date='Nov 3 2010, 12:15 PM']That makes me curious: do you consider replacing the bergs with 1 or 2 compacts? (or a compact & midget?)[/quote]
Initially I thought either of the above combinations, but...

...the Compact has coped with eveything I've thrown at it so far. This includes a backline-only gig with the Caffreys which I would never have anticipated in a million years.

The only 'bad' gig I've had with it was one night where I wrestled with the bass for the whole gig. Previous and subsequent experience strongly suggests it was one of [i]those[/i] nights, and I probably would have had problems no matter what cab(s) I used.

• 4 weeks later...

Just had a rehearsal tonight in a hall in Newcastle - RH450 and Compact.

One of the songs, as well as being very poigniant given the weather at the moment, is just guitar, voice and bass... I recorded it on my phone. [url="http://www.jollybeggars.co.uk/stuff/wintersong.mp3"]Here 'tis[/url].

If you don't like flats this won't be your cup of tea, but I think it shows how even and round the notes are. I like it.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1045721' date='Dec 2 2010, 10:56 PM']Just had a rehearsal tonight in a hall in Newcastle - RH450 and Compact.

One of the songs, as well as being very poigniant given the weather at the moment, is just guitar, voice and bass... I recorded it on my phone. [url="http://www.jollybeggars.co.uk/stuff/wintersong.mp3"]Here 'tis[/url].

If you don't like flats this won't be your cup of tea, but I think it shows how even and round the notes are. I like it.[/quote]

Again, great playing!
Nice song and nice sound.

• 2 weeks later...

Another update - Howard The Bass Doc has borrowed the cab for few days.

I brought it down to the Magnesia Bank in North Shields this afternoon in time for his gig. He brought his GK head and, as usual, his lovely Fender 2x15. He set it all up and put the Compact on the floor in front of it. It looked tiny in comparison.

You could reasonably expect a cab this size it to struggle at a gig like this - large-ish room, band that plays at 'proper' R&B volume with no PA support.. hence the 2x15. But, bless him, he promised to use it for a couple of songs so I could have a listen.

I stood at the back of the room and I'm not joking when I say it sounded ridiculously good. I had to leave after four songs, but by then he still hadn't switched back to the Fender 2x15.

I've pasted a vid with a couple of non-scientific video clips below.. the first is fingerstyle, the second at 1:30 is with a plec. Bearing in mind he uses flats, the treble bite and crunch from a tweeterless cab like this is astonishing.

It'll be interesting to hear what he thought. Are you there, Uncle Horrid?

I really enjoyed the Compact. Thought I might revert to the 2x15 at some point but ended up using the little fella for the full two sets. I would like to have two if only for the benefit of getting my sound nearer 'lug-height'.

So if Alex can do a promotion on the lines of 'Two for the price of one' I reckon he would have a deal.

Cheers, Michael (try not to get a death grip on the '62).

If any of you Geordie BC'ers would like to have a blast with my Vintage, just PM me. I am currently only rehearsing every three weeks so the big feller is champing at the bit to be used!!

Tone-wise, it's very like the compact - just bigger and more of it (as some of you will recall from our mini-bash a few weeks ago).

Edited by Conan