Why become a member? ×

Spangly BFB Compact in da house!

wateroftyne

Once WoT's done with it (and anyone else in the vicinity) it's coming back to Barefaced HQ and being replaced with a mildly updated one with a steel grill, which will then continue on to the next point on the tour (which seemed to be around Manchester, so miles from Newcastle and thus needing couriering anyway).

I think I've seen that cab somewhere before...!

I thoroughly enjoyed using it. Thanks Alex for allowing us the opportunity to do so.

Enjoy it WoT, and let us know how it copes with your punishing itinerary!

P.S. Love to know how it sounds with the RH450.

Edited by Conan

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='967885' date='Sep 25 2010, 06:56 PM']Well, it's going to have to work harder than I thought tonight... Just got to the gig, and we're not using the subs.

Should be innaresting...[/quote]

I can be there in an hour with a couple of 4x10s!!! :)

Holy crap...

I'll admit when I posted my last message that I was a little nervous. The gig was a Cricket club (a bar, basically) with a lot of people in, and this band ain't quiet. We'd normally use subs for a gig like this, and I'd usually be totin' a couple of Berg 2x10s.

So when I got the gig and found out we weren't using the subs, I thought the Compact was going to struggle.

I shouldn't have worried. The TC RH450 into the Compact seems to throw out big, fat notes, with more 'natural' lows than the Bergs - but it never got boomy. Even though it was running at 8ohm, it showed no sign of running out of steam. Lots of bite and definition too. No sizzle, but I don't need that.

The build quality is fine, and tidier than the original Compact I tried a while ago.

A pair of these things would be obscene.

Time to send Alex an email...

Edited by wateroftyne

Hi folks

I used the compact last night at a theatre gig. There wasn't a huge FoH, or an elaborate monitor set-up, so we didn't put any drums or bass in the stage mix.

The Compact, again, was a star. I stood it on a GRAMMA pad, and it was round and punchy, and growled when I dug in, just how I like it. Bearing in mind it was running at 8ohm, up against a loud drummer, it just threw it out all around the stage. At no time did it feel like it was working hard.

If there's a hole or peak in the response of this cab, I can't find it. It's so even and clear from the bottom to the top. It feels incredibly responsive - The treble is very rich and just how I like it (again, if you're a sizzler, this cab isn't for you. you need a tweeter). Of course, I'm using four-year-old flatwounds - if you're using rounds I imagine you'll get even more growl and clarity. In no way do these cabs do 'indistinct thump' unless you EQ it in.

The band loved it, and the crew couldn't believe it when they felt how light it was.

Here's a clip from the gig. Virtually all you can hear of the bass is direct from the Compact, which is turned away from the camera slightly - it might be picking up a bit of the (very modest and sub-lite) FoH. Obviously, these clips are of limited use but hopefully the growl and punch will be apparent. Open it up in YouTube and hit the HD button for best results.

It's interesting that even though I used the same cab with a totally different amp and bass (LH500 and Status), there is a clearly identifiable "sound" on WoT's recording that I remember well! So maybe the idea that cabs themselves have a characteristic sound is not unreasonable?

It certainly isn't slow and muddy to my ears! :) Be interesting to hear it compared to the Vintage...

Edited by Conan

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='975753' date='Oct 3 2010, 09:55 AM']Hi Conan

Interesting! Can you put your finger on what that 'sound' is?[/quote]

Not really... I always find it difficult describing sounds! Lots of people use the term "punchy" but I am never sure exactly what it means. I think the compact sounds clear, strong and powerful. It seems to be strong on the middle part of the mid-range...

Best I can do I'm afraid! :)

Not particularly impressed! :)

... because I'm soaking wet after falling over with laughter from picking this cab up from WoT's place. :lol:

I knew these were light and Alex has trimmed the weight with various improvements BUT I was genuinely shocked when I picked it up. I can even forgive the fact that it doesn't have side handles to make carrying through doorways easier; mainly because I can hold it out at arms length and shoulder height to walk through. :)

Looking forward to trying it with the band later.

[quote name='Conan' post='975825' date='Oct 3 2010, 11:23 AM']Not really... I always find it difficult describing sounds! Lots of people use the term "punchy" but I am never sure exactly what it means. I think the compact sounds clear, strong and powerful. It seems to be strong on the middle part of the mid-range...

Best I can do I'm afraid! :)[/quote]
That clip definitely brings the tone of the Vintage to mind too, certainly in the mids. IIRC, the speakers themselves have a natural hump around 1kHz-ish. It's kind of like a "presence" boost, and it sounds great with a fretless. Brings out the mwaaah nicely.

[quote name='Conan' post='975721' date='Oct 3 2010, 09:18 AM']So maybe the idea that cabs themselves have a characteristic sound is not unreasonable?[/quote]

There's absolutely no doubt that all cabs have a characteristic sound, though some are more distinctive than others. However that sound does not correlate with the cone diameter.

Maybe I never bought into the 12" is bassier/slower/mellower than 10", and 15" is bassier/slower/mellower than 12", old wives' tales because my first three rigs were a 1x15" then a 1x12" (occasionally on a bigger 1x15") and then a 2x10" (often with a second 2x10") and the 12" had more bottom than the 15" and the 10"s more bottom than the 12".

Quick question about the cloth grill?!

Is it particularly hardy at all?. Also, what kinda covers are you doing now, would it be possible to affix a harder material (Thick card or something) within the front of the cover to protect the cloth a little better!?

Cheers
Si

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='975683' date='Oct 3 2010, 08:57 AM']Hi folks

I used the compact last night at a theatre gig. There wasn't a huge FoH, or an elaborate monitor set-up, so we didn't put any drums or bass in the stage mix.

The Compact, again, was a star.[/quote]

Nice playing and a good drummer!

Since I am heading for a Classic 450 and a compact; can you tell me how much you cranked the amp up?

[quote name='OmeDunk' post='979076' date='Oct 6 2010, 07:54 AM']Nice playing and a good drummer!

Since I am heading for a Classic 450 and a compact; can you tell me how much you cranked the amp up?[/quote]
Thank you :)

At the gigs I've done so far with the Compact & the TC - with and without PA support - I've never felt like either are being pushed hard. The TC is a loud amp, and the Compact is a loud cab...!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='979185' date='Oct 6 2010, 10:43 AM']It was Howard The Bass Doc's GK, EQ'd to replicate his preferred tone through his lovely Fender 2x15.[/quote]

Which has more treble than a very trebley thing! Both BFB cabs produced an equal amount of top end, but seemed to have richer midrange (to my ears anyway...)