Why become a member? ×

Band Banners?

tbkicks

We're a new originals band and we've got a gig in november at the Academy 2 in Birmingham. There are 5 bands playing and as we're headlining I've been told to bring our bands banner. We don't have one. :blush: Advice on the optimum size of banner for this size of gig and other medium venues would be appreciated, and also the name of a quality banner supplier would be a great help. Thank's in anticipation, tbkicks.

I got one done by [url="http://shop.ebay.co.uk/boroughbridgeprinting030364/m.html"]this lot on eBay[/url]. VERY cheap, quality is fine for occasional use*, and they turned it around every quickly.

They will need a decent res JPEG or vector artwork, so be prepared to spend some time sorting that out too.

Here's a snap of it

The drum head logo I had done via [url="http://www.bhdigital.co.uk/"]BH Digital[/url] - again, highly recommended.

*By that I mean that if you were going to be rolling and unrolling it a lot, or having it up outside, you might want to look at something a bit more substantial, or something that uses a different printing process (these banners use a whacking great inkjet as far as I understand). Only other option is vector cut vinyl stuck to the backing, but you won't get photo stuff on there then.

Edited by RichardH

In my time i've seen all sorts of banners and backdrops, from the ludicrously large stadium size drapes with UV paint and internal lighting and all the whistles and bells, right through to literally a bed sheet with the band's name written on it with a sharpie minutes before the went on stage.

At festivals pretty much every band has one as it immediately identifies who you are should your music catch the ear of passing punters, simple but effective.

The most common manufacturers of drapes that i see & know are:
Hangman [url="http://www.hangman.co.uk/home.html"]http://www.hangman.co.uk/home.html[/url]
and Rock drops [url="http://www.rockdrops.com/products.html"]http://www.rockdrops.com/products.html[/url]
Their quality is second to none, however i've no idea about prices in comparison to other companies.

[quote name='Ian Savage' post='965931' date='Sep 23 2010, 06:29 PM']I reckon you want at least 2.5 x 1m to be worthwhile on bigger stages, while still being small enough to use in smaller venues - I got one done for the last band I was in from a local signwriting-type place, worked out a LOT cheaper than anywhere I'd looked for band-specific banners.[/quote]

This is close to my original thinking. We were considering 2.5m x 1.5m in fabric for ease of transport.

Thanks for the names of suppliers guys, and the suggestion about local signwriters.

[quote name='bluesparky' post='965958' date='Sep 23 2010, 06:51 PM']...literally a bed sheet with the band's name written on it with a sharpie minutes before the went on stage.[/quote]
Yep - been there done that when I was much younger! My mum wasn't happy - I didn't think she'd miss a sheet.

Last one I did I used a dustsheet from B&Q & carpaint, but the ebay link above looks worth a look 6" x 2" for under £30 - bargain.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

You need to think this through as well.

What is going to be on it..?
You may have alogo, but are you publishing a website as well..so anyone who wants to see you again can follow you on that.

I think we will end up using one..but haven't decided on the size and how easily you can put one up. Do you need to drape it or string from a stand.. ? Large stages can accomodate a bigger size but places that stick you in the corner cannot.

I would think 2.5x1 would be ok and fit quite a few places... but as a headliner be prepared for another band to have a bigger one ...:) :lol:

We want one primarily to publicise our website ...but maybe flyers at the gig would do that as well and people can go from there.
A lot of bands push their gigs through Facebook as well.

If the gig is well advertised then banners are less important, but if they are not and people turn up on spec..they probably do a job.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='966050' date='Sep 23 2010, 08:33 PM']Yep - been there done that when I was much younger! My mum wasn't happy - I didn't think she'd miss a sheet.

Last one I did I used a dustsheet from B&Q & carpaint, but the ebay link above looks worth a look 6" x 2" for under £30 - bargain.[/quote]

you mean 6' x 2' surely?

instead of classic banner my band is using a pull up system. Its easier to transport, set-up and -down after the gig, and always looks decent.
Something like on a picture I attached cost about 70-80 quit from local sign maker, and you can change graphic if you'll need.
Of course attachment is not my band poster :)

My friend was a stage manager at Carling Academy Liverpool (now o2). To comply with fire regs they would ask if your banner was flame retardant. If you would say yes, he would get a lighter and test it.

He was a bit of an arse, but if you want to avoid this situation, I'd go for a flame retardant material.

Dan

[quote name='observer' post='966448' date='Sep 24 2010, 10:08 AM']instead of classic banner my band is using a pull up system. Its easier to transport, set-up and -down after the gig, and always looks decent.
Something like on a picture I attached cost about 70-80 quit from local sign maker, and you can change graphic if you'll need.
Of course attachment is not my band poster :)[/quote]

That printers I linked to on eBay do those pull up ones as well.