Why become a member? ×

1987 MARK 1 WAL BASS CUSTOM FOR SALE

kentishbass

Hi Everyone,

I have a Fretted 1987 Mark 1 Wal Bass Custom for sale. The bass has been signed off by Ian Waller himself; his signature is visible on the back plate.

I originally bought in 1997 from a guitar shop in Dublin. About 4 years ago the input stage went and I was nervous about getting it repaired in Dublin.

I recently moved to London and, in the last month, have had the bass completely serviced by Paul Herman at Electric Wood's workshop. This amounted to £250 worth of repair and set up / servicing (I can provide an invoice by way of proof, just waiting on Paul to email one across).

It's lineage is interesting in that it has a separate serial number on the neck than on the body. Paul was unable to trace the serial numbers in the log book, but has confirmed that all parts are original to the sign off date.

It has some wear and tear, specifically to the finish at the back of the headstock and around the control knobs. Paul quoted me a price for repair to the finish at £450, but it was really an optional cosmetic choice and has not affected the sound or playability.

The serial number on the bolt on neck plate is W3072
The serial number on the electronics back plate cover is W2981 and is dated Nov ' 87 and has been signed off by Ian Waller himself.
It has a Brazilian Mahogany Core, African Wenge Faces and an Indian Rosewood Fretboard.
It comes with a custom built heavy duty flight case built by the Dublin Flight Case Company worth €250.

It is truly a one-of-a-kind bass and, at nearly 25 years old, and having been birthed by the founding father of Wal basses, is destined to be a truly vintage and collectible bass.

I am based in London (Kentish Town area) and would ideally like a UK sale, at it simplifies delivery and could facilitate the opportunity for the potential owner to play it before purchase.

£4000 o.b.o

PM me if interested and wish to see photos.

[quote name='philw' post='964783' date='Sep 22 2010, 07:01 PM']I'm sure it's a desirable bass and I too would love to see some pics (my Mk 1 is wenge and you don't see many)

Phil[/quote]

People can make any offer they like by PM. I'm basing the price on it's history and future value both, the recent servicing, flight case. You'd expect to pay more for a pre-CBS Precision / Jazz, wouldn't you?

I won't further comment, as the photo's are now up and people can message me, if they like.

cheers.

[quote name='birdy' post='964787' date='Sep 22 2010, 07:06 PM']I think you are supposed to PM members regarding price.[/quote]

Maybe if you're negotiating yes, but I'm not. I'm just opining that the bass is a bit on the pricey side.

P

PS. Just saw the pics. Really lovely bass but that's not wenge – looks quilt maple to me. I also wonder if Pete was doing gloss finish in '87. I thought that came rather later.

Edited by philw

If it's not wenge the backplate has been swapped. Reading it states wenge faces on mahogany core. If there is any doubt about the heritage of this bass (I am sure that there is nothing hooky about the deal, but at this kind of price I would be tempted to check the provenance) then a quick call to Electric Wood should sort things out. When I took my bass to have a once over Pete had his 'bible' which gave all the details of the basses woods and first destination. I'm sure that the book still exists and would be available to Paul at the new Electric Wood.

Just my 2p worth (probably not even worth that much :) )

Just looked at the body pictures rather than the back plate - definitely looks quilted rather than wenge - serials don't match - the very interesting!

Edited by baronfloyd

[quote name='philw' post='964817' date='Sep 22 2010, 07:34 PM']Maybe if you're negotiating yes, but I'm not. I'm just opining that the bass is a bit on the pricey side.

P

PS. Just saw the pics. Really lovely bass but that's not wenge – looks quilt maple to me. I also wonder if Pete was doing gloss finish in '87. I thought that came rather later.[/quote]

You seem to have more info than Paul Herman was able to provide. I'm only going on what I've been told, so apologies if I'm missing details.

I wouldn't have been aware of when gloss finish came into effect, I'll check further to the best of my ability. All I can posit is that maybe the previous owner (I'm the second) may have had it done.

Is anything else you'd like to point out to the benefit of the public?

Looks more like birdseye maple to me (front & back). If the neck, body and backplate don't match, sounds like a combination of at least 3 previous Wal's. Sounds like a strange thing to do to a Wal or three, but I guess in 25 years a lot can happen. I know the price of 'original' Wal(s) have skyrocketed in recent times, but if you're patient and Watchful, some reasonable ones do seem to come along (not that I bought this myself!):-

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300466323902&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url]

.. although I think this might well have gone higher, had the seller bothered to post some decent photos and a less bizarre 'description'......

[quote name='philw' post='964817' date='Sep 22 2010, 07:34 PM']Maybe if you're negotiating yes, but I'm not. I'm just opining that the bass is a bit on the pricey side.[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=SR&f=19"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=SR&f=19[/url]

Point 5 in the Guidelines for buyers.

Nice bass with a very interesting finish. I'd assume the control plate is off a different bass at some point as it looks like birsdeye maple facings to me; it's definitely not wenge. As already stated, Paul will be able to confirm. If the neck plate serial number is original it's from 1988.

[quote name='walbassist' post='964985' date='Sep 22 2010, 09:19 PM']Nice bass with a very interesting finish. I'd assume the control plate is off a different bass at some point as it looks like birsdeye maple facings to me; it's definitely not wenge. As already stated, Paul will be able to confirm. If the neck plate serial number is original it's from 1988.[/quote]

Right, well I'm as equally confused as everyone here now. All I can really do is amend the description accordingly (how I don't know??!)

I suggest anyone in the London area who is interested, contacts me and plays it. It's amazing and has that classic sound you'd expect.

I guess the reason I wasn't so hung up about it's origins when I bought was the fact I physically played it. It puts a perspective on it, as I'm sure you can imagine.

Let me just assure you that there's nothing dodgy about this sale. As I said in my description, Paul couldn't find a record of the serial numbers. It was already established that the body and neck were seperate. He thought it odd, but all parts are the genuinely article.

Apologies if people think I was trying to be funny. I should have (and honestly I did consider it) put the feelers out with photo's on one of these forums re: it's pedigree.

I humbley stand corrected (well confused) regarding the specifications of the bass. I feel like a bit of a fool, but please conatct if your still interested.

at the very least you'll have an anecdote...

Please don't think I'm having a pop or suggesting it's dodgy. It is a fine looking bass and I'm sure it has all the Wal sounds. There is probably a really interesting story out there to explain all the mods.
At the end of the day it all about how an instrument feels and plays - if it don't feel right, then change it. If you can't get it to feel right then change it some more .... until it's time to move on.
Good luck with the sale (I'm going to keep an eye out 'cos I want to know the story).

[quote name='baronfloyd' post='965082' date='Sep 22 2010, 10:40 PM']Please don't think I'm having a pop or suggesting it's dodgy. It is a fine looking bass and I'm sure it has all the Wal sounds. There is probably a really interesting story out there to explain all the mods.
At the end of the day it all about how an instrument feels and plays - if it don't feel right, then change it. If you can't get it to feel right then change it some more .... until it's time to move on.
Good luck with the sale (I'm going to keep an eye out 'cos I want to know the story).[/quote]

cheers man.

okey dokey...

i mailed Paul Herman tonight with all the points raised, it usually takes a couple of days for him to get back, so i'll update when i can

i also have some snake oil if anyone's interested...

[quote name='philw' post='964817' date='Sep 22 2010, 07:34 PM']Maybe if you're negotiating yes, but I'm not. I'm just opining that the bass is a bit on the pricey side.[/quote]
OK, if you want to do that, do it via PM. See Buyers guideline no.5, as quoted by birdy above.

[quote name='Rich' post='965234' date='Sep 23 2010, 08:10 AM']OK, if you want to do that, do it via PM. See Buyers guideline no.5, as quoted by birdy above.[/quote]

OK, OK, but being told once would have been enough :)

Many apologies of course for transgressing but it seems I'm too late. There was a knock at the door earlier and a bunch of mean looking guys in mean looking uniforms are waiting for me to finish this before dragging me off to the cells.......

P

PS. How long has the "don't mention the price" rule been in place? Is it new(ish)?

PPS. This:

[url="http://www4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~koesters/Privat/Wal/walspec.html"]http://www4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~ko...al/walspec.html[/url]

is always interesting as a first stop when talking Wal serial numbers.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok guys

In the absence of any firm explanation of the exact history of the bass, I can only offer it as you see it by the photos presented and the definites relating to it.

What we can ascertain is that it is a late 80's constructed Mark 1, that has had one previous owner to me.
The bass itself has been modified with a new neck, the body appears to have a quilted Maple facing and the discrepancy between the back plate and description [i][b]may[/b][/i] relate to the original electronics being placed in a new body.
Please understand this is a theory and relates more to highlighting the fact that the discrepancy exists.

I have consulted with Paul Herman, and to be honest, there's no real way of ever knowing because his log book doesn't hold an explanation.
Just to avoid confusion : ALL parts are genuine and confirmed to be by Paul Herman.
The Wal workshop never sold spare parts, so logically it would have to have been made in the workshop, including all mods made.

The bass has, in the last 6 weeks, had a full service / set up and electronics repair by Paul Herman at the Electric Wood workshop in Surrey.
This work has been very thorough and amounts to £250 worth of servicing.

It also comes with a heavy duty custom flight case worth about £200.

I must stress how amazing the bass plays and sounds and would advise anyone interested to please contact me and have a play around before considering purchase.
It still is a vintage Wal irregardless of it's interesting pedigree and a genuine one off.

I'm giving an opportunity for a private sale here as in terms of shipping and eBay / Paypal fees and the opportunity for people to have a "test drive". I am based in North London but may be able to accommodate people further out from the South East if it's a serious offer.
If I don't get any firm offers here in the next while, I'm gonna stick it on eBay. Just thought people on this Forum might appreciate first refusal.

In light of the details that have come to light (genuine thanks to those who have advised), I'm dropping the price to £2800 o.b.o

Please PM me to discuss further.

Cheers.

[quote name='kentishbass' post='964761' date='Sep 22 2010, 06:32 PM']The serial number on the bolt on neck plate is W3072
The serial number on the electronics back plate cover is W2981 and is dated Nov ' 87 and has been signed off by Ian Waller himself.[/quote]

I also own a Wal with two serial numbers

It's a 5 string fretless, but on that [url="http://www4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~koesters/Privat/Wal/walspec.html"]database[/url] it's listed as a 4 string fretted.

Another Wal mystery!

But I don't give a "monkeys", it doesn't affect the sound, playability or looks, and I haven't lost any sleep over it yet in the 20 years I've owned it!

Good luck with the sale

[quote name='kentishbass' post='965072' date='Sep 22 2010, 10:30 PM']All I can really do is amend the description accordingly (how I don't know??!)[/quote]

Hi, you can amend your first post by going to it and clicking the "edit" button at the bottom. "Quick edit" if you want to just change what's said in it and "full edit" if you want to change the title of the thread or use the full editor. Might be a good idea to amend it with the new price too :) Good luck with the sale!

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='982194' date='Oct 9 2010, 12:15 AM']I also own a Wal with two serial numbers

It's a 5 string fretless, but on that [url="http://www4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~koesters/Privat/Wal/walspec.html"]database[/url] it's listed as a 4 string fretted.

Another Wal mystery!

But I don't give a "monkeys", it doesn't affect the sound, playability or looks, and I haven't lost any sleep over it yet in the 20 years I've owned it!

Good luck with the sale[/quote]
+1 doesn't make any difference.
That's quite a rare one you have there ,i had one same construction in a cherry sunburst.

It's an Ash core instead of the usual mahogany and (if i'm not mistaken) single pieces of birdseye as opposed to the usual bookmatched.
body looks like an '83 ,neck '83 to early '87 at latest.
good luck with the sale.

Edited by walplayer