Why become a member? ×

Flats, like Labellas, for 5-string ?

BigBeatNut

I like Labella flats for 4-string, but when it comes to 5-string sets, I've found the Labells B-strings inconsistent with the rest of the set (in sound and in looks too, suggesting they're manufactured differently). The B's are just lifeless, no punch.

So can anyone recommend me flats like Labellas, but are known to have good 5-string sets ?

Thanks, Andy

Wow...thanks for posting this. I was just about to order a set of Labella 5 string flatwounds, which would have been my first foray into flatwounds. Nice to hear this before I ordered and ended up disillusioned with the entire idea.

You say they sound and look different - do they feel different too? Have you tried a load of sets, or just a couple? I'm just trying to see whether this is an isolated case or standard for Labellas.

[quote name='JimBobTTD' post='960634' date='Sep 18 2010, 06:21 PM']You say they sound and look different - do they feel different too? Have you tried a load of sets, or just a couple? I'm just trying to see whether this is an[/quote]
Just a couple ... the first was strictly speaking a mis matched set anyway (jamerson B with the rest of the set starting at 043 G) but even though the Jamerson was, at .128, the right gauge for a B for that set, the sound was wrong, and the surface of the flats looked different.

2nd set was bought as a 5-string set, .128 B, and the B looked and sounded wrong in just the same was as the Jamerson B.

So that's one or two sets ... depending on if you think the Jamerson B was supposed to sound different anyway.

Not a big sample ... but I'm not inclined, at the moment, to spend another £40 to discover it's the same every time ... particularly if someone can recommend a 5 string set of flats that they like.

Andy

• 3 months later...

I use Labella flats on my 5 strings.

I have had one bad B string which had no real sustain when plucked. I had just put the set on a new bass I had bought and was suspecting it was the bass - when "ping" - at the next gig the string core snapped.

I had been getting them from Stringbusters and complained and got a replacement sent through which had a different colour tape on it! Therefore, it was probably either another range of Labella or a different make they naughtily put in a Labella packet. However, it looked and felt close enough to me and is still on the bass now!

However, I have had 2 other 5 stringers (of different type) and found the full set of strings (including the B string) to be fine.

I think others have alluded to Labella having a QC issue on strings and people often seem to get a duff string here and there.

I just thought it worth a mention in case something like this is your issue, rather than Labella just being bad full stop.

Edited by Huge Hands

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='1082625' date='Jan 8 2011, 09:46 PM']I just thought it worth a mention in case something like this is your issue, rather than Labella just being bad full stop.[/quote]

Appreciate that, thanks ... I might venture to buy another Labella set in that case.

Andy

[quote name='Shambo' post='1082889' date='Jan 9 2011, 04:22 AM']I'm interested in this as well, wanting a recommendation for quality high tension flats for a 5 string.[/quote]

D'addario Chromes. They're crazy high tension. I remember buying a 4 string set of my usual gauge, 45s, and they were stupidly high tension

Roto flats are perfect for me as I play right at the bridge on my Thunderbird. Seem to be about half way between TIs and Chromes.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1082986' date='Jan 9 2011, 11:04 AM']Roto flats are perfect for me as I play right at the bridge on my Thunderbird. Seem to be about half way between TIs and Chromes.[/quote]
Any idea where labellas sit on your scale ? Similar to Rotos ? (Labellas and TIs I know fairly well, not the others)

Andy

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='1082995' date='Jan 9 2011, 11:15 AM']Any idea where labellas sit on your scale ? Similar to Rotos ? (Labellas and TIs I know fairly well, not the others)

Andy[/quote]

Unfortunately I've never used LaBella flats before, only TI, Chromes & Rotos.

[quote]thomastic flats are great, med. tension but very high quality string. i believe they do 5 string poss 6 string sets[/quote]

They do do a 6 string set which come in at a very painful £50 when compared to Roto flats as a 6 string set for £32

I had a set on my Ibanez SR1016 and they were amazing. I much prefer TIs with active electronics for some reason.

Edited by Delberthot

You should consider Ernie Ball Flats 5. They have a really good tension and sound very "soundful" in comparison for example to Chromes, which have a little gap in the mids.
For me, the EB flats are as good as my beloved Labella flats.
The DR flats are high quality strings, but for me they have no real charakter and sound a little bit "boring".

Edited by 73Jazz