Why become a member? ×

Vintage vs two Compacts?

Mr. Foxen

Nope. The original plan with the Vintage was to tune it higher but it sounded better with the same tuning as the Compact, and net volume per driver is near identical. We've discontinued the Vintage because although there's demand for it there's much more demand for the other cabs, so it's a question of rationalising the product range. Plus the name is really confusing as you can get all the other cabs (bar the Midget T) in a 'vintage' look!

[quote name='Conan' post='959200' date='Sep 17 2010, 10:31 AM']I didn't know that.[/quote]
Neither did I.

Can I ask how many Vintages have made it into the wild, Alex? Just trying to work out how much of a rarity my Vintage #1 is going to be when my kids inherit it. :)

Ooooh, just remembered. Still don't have my foam port plugs, Alex!

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='959250' date='Sep 17 2010, 11:13 AM']Just trying to work out how much of a rarity my Vintage #1 is going to be when my kids inherit it. :)[/quote]
Yay! Thanks, Dad!

Here - drink this. don't worry about that chalky stuff at the bottom. It's just there to make it taste nice.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='alexclaber' post='959234' date='Sep 17 2010, 11:02 AM']Nope. The original plan with the Vintage was to tune it higher but it sounded better with the same tuning as the Compact, and net volume per driver is near identical. We've discontinued the Vintage because although there's demand for it there's much more demand for the other cabs, so it's a question of rationalising the product range. Plus the name is really confusing as you can get all the other cabs (bar the Midget T) in a 'vintage' look![/quote]

That's a great pity. The other reason for the Vintage, that it was built to fit underneath proper valve amps, is still valid and a stack of two compacts is not going to have anything like the same visual appeal or the necessary stability.

Oh well, guess I'll be keeping my EBS 2x12 for a while longer.

[quote name='pete.young' post='986125' date='Oct 12 2010, 07:45 PM']That's a great pity. The other reason for the Vintage, that it was built to fit underneath proper valve amps, is still valid and a stack of two compacts is not going to have anything like the same visual appeal or the necessary stability.

Oh well, guess I'll be keeping my EBS 2x12 for a while longer.[/quote]
Alternatively Pete you could buy my Vintage :) Will be bringing to BassBash next month if not sold by then

[quote name='pete.young' post='986125' date='Oct 12 2010, 07:45 PM']a stack of two compacts is not going to have anything like the same visual appeal or the necessary stability[/quote]

That's my concern too - especially with the absurdly low mass of the compacts and the low-friction surface material... a slight bump from a drunken punter (or bass player :) ) and the whole lot could come crashing down!

Of course, I may not be fully objective about this as I am trying to talk myself into buying a Vintage.... Damn you MythSte!! :lol:

Edited by Conan

[quote name='pete.young' post='986125' date='Oct 12 2010, 07:45 PM']....a stack of two compacts is not going to have anything like the same visual appeal or the necessary stability....[/quote]
If I had 2 Compacts I would have the vintage finish and stack them on their sides. You wouldn't knock those over in a hurry.

I tried 2 Compacts at last years SE Bass Bash and they sounded awesome with my Thunderfunk. Unfortunately I'd already invested heavily in my Bergantino cabs, but the Compacts are next on my list.