Why become a member? ×

Cleaning a partly corroded steel roundwound string

Clarky

Just got my Alembic 5'er yesterday (very nice it is too). It has a set of mega-expensive Alembic steel round-wound strings on ($75 a set) but the E string has areas of corrosion/discolouration around the 3rd//5th frets and in the right hand picking area - I assume the prior owner had very sweaty hands. The thing is, its only the E string thats like this and I don't want to buy a whole new set (individual strings are not available FS)

So does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean up or reduce the corrosion on strings? Is there some kind of wipe or chemical dip that gets rid?

Cheers Clarky

Well, I tried meths this morning and no joy at all. Then purely as a punt I tried some of Mrs Clarky's brass/copper cleaner (Goddards Long term Brass & Copper Polish) and its taken at least 90% of the crud/oxidation off. I then gave the string a wash with soap and water. There's still some dark marks where the corrosion was but thats hardly surprising and they don't show at all from a distance.

It now looks like the string will be playable and not visually disgusting. Thereby saving me dosh :)

Been similar postings on here before and I passed my tip on somewhere else on here but it works well. To get that string totally clean try half a dishwasher tablet in a pan of boiling water and boil up till the scum from the string rises to the top, reboil in clean water and rinse under the cold tap and dry with kitchen towel. :rolleyes: Almost better than new :) and great if you have no replacements at hand and are desperate to refresh what you have!

[quote name='Clarky' post='958231' date='Sep 16 2010, 12:46 PM']Would white spirit double up as a meths-alike?[/quote]

I don't think so..it seems to have more of a residue.
Meths for me and leave to drip dry. It does stink the house out though.

I wouldn't worry about colouration at all as long as the sound is true and clean. Rust is another matter.. maybe a wire brush but then you will have to soak/clean them afterwards anyway. I would worry about little bits of crap getting into the winds after brushing..which is why I cleaned them in the first place.

If it's stainless all the way down, try this...

Hoy round to Robert Dyas & find a bottle of this stuff:

Kilrock-K (Check your local late-night corner shop too)

Find a large enough jar or tupperware-style container & add 1/3 of the bottle plus enough hot (boiling) water to cover the string. Leave it to steep for a day or so, then rinse it out in meths (to displace any water that's got in) & allow to dry.

Remarkably effective stuff at getting shot of rust marks, & absolutely fan-bloody-tastic for descaling kettles. Nothing else comes close.

Pete.